Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 

What grade would you give this film?
A 26%  26%  [ 6 ]
B 30%  30%  [ 7 ]
C 30%  30%  [ 7 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
F 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 23

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 
I heet the canadian!

Post Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Shack wrote:
I loved it, close to my favorite Marvel universe film. The Peter/Gwen relationship is SO GOOD, not just compared to comic book movies, but any film couple in recent years. I WANT TO SHIP THEM. And Garfield as Peter even in the scenes without Gwen just kills it... so much genuine.

Harry scenes were great thanks the intensity of that actor and looking forward to how he's used next. I can understand the Electro complaints, I thought they started his plot better than they ended it. But even in the last fight his plan is to control the power so people "look to him as a god", so the insecure nobody loves me thing is still there, even if they make him a little too deep voice villain-y. The only part of the first 2 Raimi films I like more than ASM and ASM2 is the villains are more memorable, or just casted exceptionally well. Still, Marvel has done MUCH MUCH worse than these villains. The villain work in this still destroys like, all the Iron Man villains, Red Skull, etc.

Honestly this movie is a breath of fresh air compared to stuff like Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 and The Avengers which have no calories at all. This one has heart and emotion. Its characters feel like real people. The action scenes have a plan. It's a good movie outside of having superheroes
Good lord.

Mon May 05, 2014 1:27 am
why so serious?

So, per IMDB, there are three other ways that the death scene could have shaken out, each of which was apparently scrapped so that the film could maintain a PG-13:

Spoiler: show
1.) Extended scene in which Goblin laughs as Peter cradles Gwen's body, which leads to Peter then nearly beating him to death.

2.) Goblin snaps Gwen's neck.

3.) Goblin stabs Gwen.

I'm glad it ended up happening the way that it did. #1 would have ruined whatever degree of poignancy was present in the scene as presented, while 2 and 3 would have made an already nonsensical situation make even less sense given the fact that these characters interacted, what, like twice before this scene? I get that he's trying to steal Peter's hope away, but why not just kill him instead?

Furthermore, I get that the filmmakers were going for something with heart, but if I'm Rhino in that last scene, I'm totally firing a headshot on Spidey when his back is turned and he's delivering the big message to the little kid. I guess that villains in this universe are just every bit as reluctant to kill Spider-Man as the corporate suits.

Mon May 05, 2014 5:49 am
Extraordinary

Oddly enough (I didn't see TASM1), I happened to see The Amazing Spider-Man 2 yesterday, and I liked it - - nice combination of humor and melodrama that is missing from most superhero movies nowadays.

3 out of 5.

Mon May 05, 2014 7:19 am
Ocarina of Time

^ why the low rating?

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Mon May 05, 2014 10:29 am
Extraordinary

Brian wrote:
^ why the low rating?

Well, it was no Thor: The Dark World - - and worst of all, it's such a tease to have Emma Stone in your movie and barely give her any comedy to work with.

She's such a talented comedienne, but here she seemed to be hired primarily to look cute, which is such a waste, because she can easily do both at the same time.

Mon May 05, 2014 10:35 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I'd like to see Emma in a straight comedy again sometime soon. I agree that she's hilarious.

She was so charming in this movie though. I loved her.

Mon May 05, 2014 10:51 am
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Pundit

I liked this. When walking out of the theater, I had it above AMS1... but I think it's just below.

It had some MUCH better components, and it had some not better components. I actually kinda liked what they did with Electro, and I really enjoyed the Harry character. And Garfield/Stone were SO ACES. And what a well done death scene. Had me in tears. Webb has a really good touch with emotional scenes.

Rhino was very meh. I thought the music was all over the place, though some of it was enjoyable. There was some really lazy writing, but all in all...

A-

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon May 05, 2014 11:03 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

The death scene was really sad and haunting. I cried. I think Garfield really sold that sequence too.

Mon May 05, 2014 11:09 am
Profile YIM
now we know

Fantastic! Fantastic! Fantastic! Fantastic! Webb's Spider-Man franchise has turned me into a big Spidey fan. They're just awesome movies, with great action, lovely cinematography, terrific performances, heartfelt dialogue, and impactful accompanying scores. I adored The Amazing Spider-Man 2 first and foremost because of Gwen and Peter's relationship. You can just see that these two love each other, and the rapport they have is once-in-a-lifetime love -- masterful chemistry. The action is so crisp, and the placement of the camera in the shots of Spidey swinging through the streets is just breathtaking. The clarity to the 3D really brings alive the first-person perspective. Technically, the film is pretty much a masterpiece. Thematically, it's balls-to-the-wall entertainment of the best kind.

The way they introduced three villains into one film was also inspiring. I just cannot wait for the third part after that cliffhanger!! Electro, Green Goblin and Rhino - no issues with any of them, and I thought Electro was sensational as a counter to Spidey's cocky backchat. I also adored how each villain (apart from Harry) actually introduces themselves (a nod to the comicbooks for sure) -- "I am RHINO!!", which I just thought was awesome.

I was so shocked when Gwen Stacey died. I couldn't believe it for a few seconds that they'd actually chosen to write her out. She, arguably, is the best thing about the film. So fucking gorgeous, and so integral to the plot and drive of the titular character. This accomplished its goal of turning me into a little kid again whilst still engaging the mature core of my psyche with emotional content. Andrew Garfield and Sally Field's touching bedroom chat brought a tear to my eye, reminding me of my own similar situation.

The pace of the film was executed to perfection, and the introduction of all characters and arcs was spot on. I was most impressed by how they explained the spiders and their roots and why nobody else can become spiderman, and how the Parker family's demise began. The weakest link, if I had to choose one, would be Dane DeHaan's Harry Osborne/Green Goblin. While still quite good, I just felt that the character (GG) wasn't needed, but it was a small role anyway, so no big qualms. But what I love about this series is how they keep it light and entertaining despite having some truly deep and sad moments. Garfield and Stone are fantastic actors. The original Spider-Man trilogy is complete shit compared to these new two. I'm getting excited just thinking about who will be in the next one and what will happen. I would expect Doc Ock or Vulture to feature somewhere since we saw them in the line-up of Oscorp displays.

This is how you make a blockbuster Summer event picture.

A

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Last edited by Algren on Wed May 07, 2014 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 05, 2014 11:26 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Post Re:
Algren wrote:
Electro, Green Goblin and Rhino - no issues with any of them

3- Lone Survivor 8.5/10
4- Captain America 8.0/10
5- 300: 8.0/10

Mon May 05, 2014 11:51 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Yep. I thought he was great fun.

I want to watch the film again very soon.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon May 05, 2014 11:53 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

While Garfield is starting to grow on me as the new Spider-Man, I just can't get over how lame this movie is. Like the first movie outside the chemistry between him and Emma Stone everything thing else is just so mediocre.

The villains suck and everything is rushed to the point where just too much shit is going on. I'll admit it's not as bad as say Spider-Man 3, but there are moments where it comes dangerously close to being on that level IMO. I mean from Max Dillon/Electro to Rhino, and even GG there is just too much cartoon zaniness for me to handle and yes I understand this is Spider-Man.

I love all three actors Foxx, Giamatti, and Dehaan, but none are used to their full potential and Dehaan is especially solid only until he becomes GG. The tone is all over the place and this movie tries doing way too much from trying to be half Nolan verse and half MCU and it obviously makes things even messier story wise.

The only other real positives I can think of besides the chemistry between Parker/Stacy is the death scene is well done and as silly as the action scenes look I was entertained for the most part with the end battle in the clock tower being my favorite.

Otherwise, I'm just not a fan of these movies.

Mon May 05, 2014 8:40 pm
now we know

Brian wrote:
LOL, One thing I just realized Webb forgot to add in the film

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO UNCLE BEN'S KILLER ?

I hope they do not completely abandon it in the 3rd and 4th.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue May 06, 2014 1:05 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I cannot remember the Martin Sheen version of Uncle Ben's death. The fact it is not dealt with here did not occur to me.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue May 06, 2014 1:06 am
now we know

Biggestgeekever wrote:
Did this movie have Stan Lee's worst cameo to date? I can't recall some of his roles from movies pre-Iron Man, but this felt like the most forgettable one since it became a "thing."

It is the worst, but his cameos got annoying, so I was glad they chose for a less blatant diversion to proceedings.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue May 06, 2014 1:08 am
Profile WWW
now we know

David wrote:
I cannot remember the Martin Sheen version of Uncle Ben's death. The fact it is not dealt with here did not occur to me.

It could be great if a future villain is also Ben's killer.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue May 06, 2014 1:10 am
Profile WWW
Iron Man

Fine, I fuckin loved it. it's honestly quite messy, and uneven, but at some points it has this quality that all superhero movies should aspire to. I don't know what it is but it reaches that peak for me. The visual effects are amazing, the Peter-Gwen scenes just moving beyond belief. The villains are great, aside from Rhino. But Electro and Green Goblin are awesome, and Dane Dehaan especially does a great job taking Harry Osborne to another level. Andrew Garfield is Spider-man. And Emma Stone is just incredible, thoughout. This was better than the first one, even though it was more messy. A- or B+

Tue May 06, 2014 2:32 am
Iron Man

And the most touching scene (besides the death scene) is between Peter and Aunt May, at about the middle of the film ( where she confronts him about the wall stuff). The acting there is just... wow, i have no words. Sally Field does a great job with just a few scenes.

Tue May 06, 2014 3:33 am
now we know

Yeah!! That scene is special indeed. Glad it has another fan.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue May 06, 2014 7:59 am
Profile WWW
now we know

I like it how Peter Parker uses a Sony laptop in the film.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed May 07, 2014 12:40 am
Profile WWW
Ocarina of Time

VAIO

2. Rebel Moon
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
10. Blue Beetle

Wed May 07, 2014 12:52 am
We had our time together

Great review Algren, you summed up my feelings perfectly.

Wed May 07, 2014 6:55 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Cheers man :)
Yet again we agree on film.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed May 07, 2014 8:05 am
Profile WWW
Ocarina of Time

2. Rebel Moon
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
10. Blue Beetle

Wed May 07, 2014 7:34 pm
Extraordinary

Personally, Electro kept reminding me more of Emperor Palpatine while I watched TASM2...

ImageImage

...but perhaps the more obvious comparison would be to Dr. Manhattan...

Wed May 07, 2014 8:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next