Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Almost Famous 

What grade would you give this film?
A 57%  57%  [ 8 ]
B 43%  43%  [ 6 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

Almost Famous 
College Boy Z

Post Almost Famous
Almost Famous

Quote:
Almost Famous is a 2000 film written and directed by Cameron Crowe and telling the fictional story of a teenage journalist writing for Rolling Stone magazine while covering the fictitious rock band Stillwater, and his efforts to get his first cover story published. The film is semi-autobiographical, as Crowe himself was a teenage writer for Rolling Stone.

The film is based on Crowe's experiences touring with rock bands Poco, The Allman Brothers Band, Led Zeppelin, The Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Still Water. In a Rolling Stone article, he talks about how he lost his virginity, fell in love, and met his heroes, experiences that are shared by William, the main character in the film.

Despite failing to break even, the film received positive reviews. It received four Oscar nominations, one of which led to an award to Crowe for his screenplay. It was also awarded the 2001 Grammy Award for Best Compilation Soundtrack Album for a Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media. Roger Ebert hailed it the best film of the year. It also won two Golden Globes, for Best Picture and Kate Hudson won Best Supporting Actress.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:56 pm
Extraordinary

The only thing I don't get was how Kate Hudson got so much praise. She wasn't that great.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:57 pm
Sbil

The best movie of 2000, and one of the very best of the decade so far.

The film is heartbreakingly honest and written in such a real way. The performances, ranging from Kate Hudson's free-spirited band aid to Frances McDormand's hilariously uptight mother, are simply wonderful.

A

Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:59 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:00 pm
Award Winning Bastard

The film is heartbreakingly honest and written in such a real way. The performances, ranging from Kate Hudson's free-spirited band aid to Frances McDormand's hilariously uptight mother, are simply wonderful.

A

Ah...the year 2000. I really have good reasons for it, but there are tons of movies from that year that I have never seen. I'm sure I probably would have seen it, otherwise.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:05 pm
Sbil

Libs wrote:

A

Ah...the year 2000. I really have good reasons for it, but there are tons of movies from that year that I have never seen. I'm sure I probably would have seen it, otherwise.

Wow, it's just...

If you loved Jerry Maguire, I can't even begin to think how much you would love Almost Famous, especially being a musician.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:10 pm
Teh Mexican

AWesome movie, great acting, great story!!

A

Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:13 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Wow, it's just...

If you loved Jerry Maguire, I can't even begin to think how much you would love Almost Famous, especially being a musician.

I'm sold! I was seeing The Interpreter tomorrow, and I did plan on watching The Truman Show again this weekend, but I suppose I could rent a few things, too. I'm kinda glad I didn't rent anything today when I returned my last rentals, or I would have had to wait, and you make it sound like a movie I'm going to love.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:14 pm
Veteran

Good movie, but a tad overrated. I honestly didn't see what was so great about it or Kate Hudson's performance. I will say it is worth watching. My grade: B.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:47 pm
Profile WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

Great movie, great performance form Kate Hudson, and everyone else...and awesome soundtrack.

A

One of my favorites movies of the decade so far.

Best Actress 2008

Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:24 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

I saved this review up so that it didn't get lost.

I was literally speechless after watching Almost Famous, as it was a bit of a surreal experience for me. It felt so personal to me on so many levels, which I'll cover as I go, but the impact that I felt from this is just undescribable, as I almost felt like it was a biopic about my life as a musician. The character of Russell Hammond was so much a mirror of myself during my band years, that's it was uncanny, and even a little freaky. His personality wasn't so much like mine, but his status in the band was. I don't know if anybody has ever had a similar experience of watching your life flash before your eyes on screen, but woah... I totally could see the band from Russell's POV, as I've been in that very position and have had to deal with resentments like he was dealing with.

Another thing that really hit home for me, was the music. Cameron Crowe has some excellent tastes in music. His wife was in a kick ass rock band, and just looking at his soundtrack from Jerry Maguire, with Paul McCartney's "Junk", The Rolling Stones' "Bitch", Tom Petty's "Free Fallin'", and Fleetwood Mac's "Oh, Well", I could tell that his taste in music was very much the same as my own, and the music and backdrop of Almost Famous just confirmed it for me. The album covers at the beginning of the movie are all in my collection. It's like he raided my house or something. Getting Peter Framptom, one of my favorite guitarists, to be involved, was just another confirmation. Hearing things like "Does everybody remember laughter" was a tip of the hat to any Zeppelin fan who has the live version of "Stairway to Heaven". Naming one of his characters "Penny Lane", after the great Beatles' song, was yet another nice tip of the hat. Jokes like "If you think Mick Jagger is still gonna be trying to be a rock star when he's 50, you're sadly mistaken" had me uncontrollably snorting with laughter. *snort* I felt so personally connected to both the story and the music in this film.

The story was just so well written. The characters were so real and interesting, and the story premise was terrific. All of the performances were top notch, and I guess I'm a little confused as to why more awards attention wasn't given to this great film. I think my favorite bit was when their manager confessed while they thought their plane was going down, that he "hit and ran" once, and wasn't sure if he killed the guy or not cause he took off and left. "Not a day goes buy that I don't see his face"...haha...just classic!

To let you know how much I loved this movie, not only did it catapult into my top 20 films of all time, and move Cameron Crowe into my top 5 favorite directors (I really need to see Say Anything...), but after it was over, and mind you, I watched it in the very early morning hours, so everything was closed, I got in my van and went up to Wal-Mart in hopes that they had it. They did, and I bought the DVD right away. I guess I can't compliment a movie more than that.

A+

Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:09 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This film is kind of overrated. I still really like it and own the DVD, but it isn't the best piece of cinema ever made or anything. Kate Hudson is spectacular though and was robbed of the Oscar.

7/10 ( B )

Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:12 pm
Profile YIM
Award Winning Bastard

This film is kind of overrated.

I definitely disagree with that. It's brilliant!

Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:25 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Well I respect everyone's opinion on it. I liked it more than VANILLA SKY (7/10 or B-), which was saved by a BRILLIANT performance from Cameron Diaz. This one just disappointed me because I loved JERRY MAGUIRE so much. I still enjoy it though. It has solid rewatch value.

Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:27 pm
Profile YIM
Extra on the Ordinary

I Like Jerry Maguire and all, but Almost Famous is MILES ahead of it.

Best Actress 2008

Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:35 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

I was very surprised that I liked it more than Jerry Maguire, because I did not expect to at all.

Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:38 pm
You must have big rats

Rod wrote:

I was very surprised that I liked it more than Jerry Maguire, because I did not expect to at all.

I'm not surprised, at all.

Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:40 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

Does that mean that you've seen Jerry MaGuire? :razz: Owned it for 3 years and haven't ever seen it? :-k

I've got a few of those in my collection, too. :-$

Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:42 pm
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:

Does that mean that you've seen Jerry MaGuire? :razz: Owned it for 3 years and haven't ever seen it? :-k

I've got a few of those in my collection, too. :-$

No, I haven't seen it, but I know a lot about it and Almost Famous definitely seems more like a movie you'd like than Jerry Maguire.

Have you seen Vanilla Sky?

Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:44 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

No, I haven't seen it, but I know a lot about it and Almost Famous definitely seems more like a movie you'd like than Jerry Maguire.

Yes, I've seen it. \:D/ I don't think it's as "weird" as many others say it was. Not exactly mainstream, but not as off the cuff as a Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind for me. I'd give it a B.

Last edited by Maverikk on Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:49 pm
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:

Yes, I've seen it. \:D/ I don't think it's as "weird" as many others say it was. Not exactly mainstream, but not as off the cuff as a Eterbnal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind for me. I'd give it a B.

Hmm, I liked it a lot, but I would say it is at least as weird as Eternal Sunshine.

Speaking of which, you should really rent Being John Malkovich. It's by the same screenwriter, maybe this one you'll like more.

Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:50 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Maverikk wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

Yes, I've seen it. \:D/ I don't think it's as "weird" as many others say it was. Not exactly mainstream, but not as off the cuff as a Eterbnal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind for me. I'd give it a B.

Hmm, I liked it a lot, but I would say it is at least as weird as Eternal Sunshine.

Speaking of which, you should really rent Being John Malkovich. It's by the same screenwriter, maybe this one you'll like more.

+ Adaptation, if you haven't seen it yet. :wink:

Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:52 pm
Award Winning Bastard

I hear conflicting views on Being John Malkovich, and I'm not sure what to believe. I don't know much about Adaption.

Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:56 pm
You must have big rats

I hear conflicting views on Being John Malkovich, and I'm not sure what to believe. I don't know much about Adaption.

Adaptation is great as well. Especially for those whose hobby is screenwriting and movies ;)

Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:57 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

Maverikk wrote:

Adaptation is great as well. Especially for those whose hobby is screenwriting and movies ;)

You guys have no idea how many movie recommendations I could start dropping on you for films you've never seen. I'm tempted to do that, just so you'll see how big a fan I actually am. I could list a whole generation of classics that many of the younger people here are clueless about. I won't push any, though, but I do have an upcoming top 100 favorites in the Cinemania thread that are all movies I strongly recommend.

Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next