Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Almost Famous 

What grade would you give this film?
A 57%  57%  [ 8 ]
B 43%  43%  [ 6 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

Almost Famous 
The Kramer

Post Re: Almost Famous
Great movie, though I do wish I had seen it when I was younger. I think it would have had even more of an effect on me.

It came in 2000, right before I officially became a movie buff. And even while I was gobbling both classics and recent gems, this movie was always in the queue to watch next, but just never got around to it. I even bought it in an itunes bundle years ago ($20 for 10 movies including Anchorman, Zoolander, Tropic Thunder, Almost Famous and six other 2000s 'comedies' that I cannot recall.. - what a deal!) Perhaps I would have watched it right away if not for one other factor - my work. Every damn time the Monsters, Cavs or Indians lose they play that damn scene with Tiny Dancer and I became burnt out on it before I could even experience the rest of the story. Honestly I went to the bathroom during that scene on this view cause it was so awkward.

Personal issues aside, the movie still holds up very well (with the exception of some discussions like how hot high school girls are.) Anybody who loves music will see this a dream come true scenario for them, getting to hang out with some of your idols and being fully assimilated into the world of rock n roll. And what a cast! Just random small roles populated by people who were ... well almost famous is the best way of putting it. Kate Hudson also earned her early-mid 2000s It-girl status (though argubaly never took advantage of it.) I'm surprised Francis McDormand didn't win an oscar since she seems to win one for everything else.

So I have right it on the border of an A/A-. An 8.5 out of ten that probably would have been even higher had I saw it around the same age as the main character. Very glad I finally knocked this one off the list!

Sun May 09, 2021 1:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3