Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Kundun 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Kundun 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Kundun

Quote:
Kundun is a 1997 epic biographical film written by Melissa Mathison and directed by Martin Scorsese. It is based on the life and writings of the 14th Dalai Lama, the exiled political and spiritual leader of Tibet. Tenzin Thuthob Tsarong, a grandnephew of the Dalai Lama, stars as the adult Dalai Lama.

"Kundun", meaning "presence", is a title by which the Dalai Lama is addressed. Kundun was released only a few months after Seven Years in Tibet, sharing the latter's location and its depiction of the Dalai Lama at several stages of his youth, though Kundun covers a period three times longer.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:01 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Post Re: Kundun
It is obviously not Scorsese at his most electric and riveting, not the Scorsese of Stones songs and kinetic bloodshed, but I admire and enjoy this picture. It is very beautiful, gentle, and nourishing.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:16 am
We had our time together

I liked it, but more because I think it's an pretty interesting story and not because it's an terribly engaging movie. I would have liked to see more sides of the Dalai Lama's character. All we got was this boy who is wise as hell, never laughs and is deadly serious all the time. I don't know Sir Lama personally but I'm sure there's more to him.

And this is just nitpicking but I was a bit annoyed by the Lama's constant blinking. Kinda destracted me here and there.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:24 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

A well crafted film of an interesting person in our modern history. I didn't quite love it, but Scorsese delivers a good summary of the key events of the current Dalai Lama's early life till his exile to India when coming of age. The cast is solid, full of unknows, but with it seems native roots to Tibet giving a nice authenticity to the film. The strongest point of the film is it's score, sweeping and well matched to the setting, Philip Glass at his best.

B

Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:01 am
now we know

Kundun is a masterpiece. A Scorsese masterclass in perfect visuals and moving sounds in the sort of way that Koyaanisqatsi manages to convey meaning. This is such an important story, too, and it should never be forgotten how China invaded a sovereign country, and every country in the world just let it. To this day the Tibetan people are oppressed and treated like animals in their own land, imprisoned for following their own religion, while the Han Chinese live a life of superiority as another arm of the ethno-state known as The People's Republic of China. Kundun should be required viewing for all high school humanities classes around the world. Not only is it beautiful, it is an integral part of world history.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:49 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]