Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Oblivion 

What grade would you give this film?
A 40%  40%  [ 6 ]
B 47%  47%  [ 7 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 15

Oblivion 
Pure Phase

Post Re: Oblivion
I know LeSamuraiDeL'Ombre secretly sheds a tear when the Sigur Rós kicks in.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:34 pm
Sbil

Was Jessica Chastain originally cast in Kurylenko or Riseborough's role before she dropped out to do Zero Dark Thirty?

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:11 pm
Pure Phase

Libs wrote:
Was Jessica Chastain originally cast in Kurylenko or Riseborough's role before she dropped out to do Zero Dark Thirty?

Kurylenko's.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:13 pm
You must have big rats

Hmm. Would have been a better fit in Riseborough's, though Riseborough was very good in it too.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:15 pm
Profile WWW
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

David wrote:
I know LeSamuraiDeL'Ombre secretly sheds a tear when the Sigur Rós kicks in.

I won't even front, but Sigur Ros is just one of those things that doesn't do anything for me (besides triggering escapist urges of course).

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:00 pm
Extraordinary

Visually it's pretty great, and I enjoyed the first half but it's a little too long and I kind of dozed off mentally a couple of times. I half liked that it was kind of low-key for the most part but I also thought that brought it down at certain points. The leads were all good.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:41 am
On autopilot for the summer

I really enjoyed this. The explanation of "the truth" was handled a little poorly and at times hard to understand, but effective enough that it was rather open and shut and that was very refreshing for a sci fi film. Cruise was great, call this his Cast Away or I am Legend with a few supporting characters throughout. It's probably not one of his more memorable characters, but he like Hanks, Ford, or Smith, have enough presence and charm that they can anchor a film on his own. It's slower and more artistic at times but I preferred that to a lot of the action which was fine and cool to look at. Overall one of the more engaging and entertaining original Sci Fi films I've seen in quite sometime.

A

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:45 pm
now we know

Wow, what a beautiful film. It's like moving frames of art, but with sci-fi elegance. I adored it. It moved me. The music is pulse-pounding when needed and modern and suspenseful at other times, the acting is brilliant from Cruise, and the story is one of great mystery and intrigue. I was in awe at the visuals throughout, and I've never seen action filmed like that. It was truly revolutionary and I imagine it cost one hell of a lot! And not just the action scenes, but every shot was still, and captured beauty of everything. Props to the cinematographer.

In terms of sci-fi, I'd say it was wholly original. This is how science-fiction should be handed; with care. The film was long, apparently, although you wouldn't have noticed from me (or the entire cinema) as we were all focused on the brilliance we just witnessed. Although my wife nodded off a few times. Tut tut.

I'm already planning on seeing it again. Kosinski is at the top of my directors-to-check-out list now. I must see Tron Legacy as soon as possible. It's almost like this movie could not get any more perfect; Cruise, great visuals, moving sounds, interesting story, Morgan Freeman and the lovely Olga Kurylenko all in one fantastic, thrilling ride. When the action happens, it is like nothing I've ever seen. The twists and reveals are pretty well handled, and the film comes full-circle in a clean finish which is topped off with a great track by M.8.3.

The best film of the year.

A

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun May 12, 2013 9:54 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re:
Algren wrote:
I'm already planning on seeing it again.

I don't go to many movies more than once these days, but circumstances lead me to see Oblivion for a second time this past week, and I must say it played much stronger on this second viewing. Of course, to my mind it speaks much more to the clunkiness rather than the subtlety of the storytelling, that a moviegoer needs to watch it twice to appreciate it. Nonetheless, it definitely harks back to the glory days of hard sci-fi movies and surely deserves more props and more BO than it has currently garnered.

Sun May 12, 2013 10:18 am
We had our time together

Glad to see you liked it. :thumbsup: Sadly I haven't seen it a second time in theaters but, given the beauty of this film, it's sure going to be one of those Blu-Rays I'm going to watch many many times.

Sun May 12, 2013 10:40 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Riggs wrote:
Glad to see you liked it.

Me too! I was fearing the worst, that a film I've been anticipating so much would let me down. But then I remembered... Cruise has got my back. He never lets me down.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun May 12, 2013 10:45 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Wasn't Jack Reacher your #1 last year too, or am I misremembering something?

Sun May 12, 2013 10:47 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Wasn't Jack Reacher your #1 last year too, or am I misremembering something?

Skyfall was my #1. But Cruise movies usually are #1 for their year, or at least Top 3.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun May 12, 2013 10:49 am
Profile WWW
now we know

The trailer for Oblivion really doesn't give anything away, and there is so much more within the film. There are dozens of great shots; many of Cruise, some lovely post-apocalyptic landscapes, and some absolutely gorgeous ambient scenes like the swimming pool wide-shot.

In fact, I think the marketing slightly undersold how brilliant and visually captivating this movie is. The marketing is definitely a reason why it won't reach $100m, although I'm not sure just how strong a reason it is.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun May 12, 2013 11:17 am
Profile WWW

Yeah, glad you liked Algren, it wasn't my favorite movie, but I am surprised this has received such luke-warm reception...

Mon May 13, 2013 12:20 pm
now we know

Going to see it again tomorrow morning.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri May 17, 2013 10:23 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I wish I loved it as much as you do. It just left me fairly cold.

The ending almost...upsets me in a strange way. As if it is no big deal "Our Cruise" is dead because she can just hop in bed with another clone with the same inserted memories. I find the indications and implications of this more unusual and disturbing than the film obviously intends.

Fri May 17, 2013 2:53 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

So is this just a rip off of Moon?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri May 17, 2013 3:38 pm
now we know

David wrote:

The ending almost...upsets me in a strange way. As if it is no big deal "Our Cruise" is dead because she can just hop in bed with another clone with the same inserted memories. I find the indications and implications of this more unusual and disturbing than the film obviously intends.

I sort of thought that too, but it's science fiction, and I think this is how it sets itself apart from other movies in the genre. It's certainly not generic, and that is what I love about it.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri May 17, 2013 7:48 pm
Profile WWW

Yeah, that is one gripe I have with this film is all of the interesting components of this film are left unexplored.

Fri May 17, 2013 8:07 pm
now we know

I've just got back from watching it again and the ending that David is referring to, on second viewing, didn't bother me at all. Olga was living on Earth for three whole years, just with her daughter. Alone for that long, wanting a companion, is incrediby lonely and depressing. But, one day, she sees a load of travellers across the lake, and one of them 100% resembles her husband. She's going to be flabergasted and extremely happy. She wants a husband, a father for her daughter, a friend, someone to talk to and plan life with again. The movie doesn't elude to anything else. It's not saying that they will fall in love and start having wild sex immediately. It just shows that she is happy to finally see life. It's a 'humans-have-won-the-war-and-are-rebuilding' ending, nothing more, and I think it's beautiful.

I loved the film just as much as the first time I saw it. The best science-fiction movies are usually never the big budget, big-grossing, uber-blockbusters. They're usually the good or mid-sized hits that really focus on the quality of production and not just how many explosions are in the movie. In 2010, it was The Book of Eli. In 2011, it was Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Last year it was Looper, and in 2013 it's Oblivion. These are the four best science fiction movies in their respective years, and all of them are not the hugely publicised, commercial products like that of Transformers or Iron Man.

A

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat May 18, 2013 12:14 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

David wrote:

I understand your problems with that but the relationship/chemistry between Cruise and Kurylenko wasn't one of the strong points of the movie anyway so it didn't bothered me as much as it would normally do.

Sat May 18, 2013 3:57 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

It should have been a stronger point, though. Riseborough's turned out to be a more interesting character than the other two.

Sat May 18, 2013 7:11 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Absolutely, a strong love story to backup the beautiful visuals and score and this would have been a straight A in my books.

Sat May 18, 2013 7:13 am
Profile WWW
now we know

It has such a beautiful score. It trances me out.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun May 19, 2013 8:31 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next