Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Oblivion 

What grade would you give this film?
A 40%  40%  [ 6 ]
B 47%  47%  [ 7 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 15

Oblivion 
now we know

I've just watched it again at home and it's still a near-flawless film. The story is incredibly strong, and it goes without saying that the score is powerful and the visuals are breathtaking. Everything makes sense in a well-rounded spectacle from a visionary like Kosinski.

I love different aspects of the movie each time I see it. This time it was Riseborough's obvious yet subtle adoration for Cruise's character. She was immensely jealous when his wife was back on the scene and especially when they were spotted in a near-embrace. But these were clone moments, so they could have been somewhat implanted, and I'm sure they were. But there was one scene showing them as the REAL Jack and Victoria, and even in that scene she seemed to want to make out they were close (with the photo), and Jack seemed uncomfortable at how near she was. A great side aspect of this film.

This film is packed with lots information and circumstances, and it takes a while to take them all in. Oblivion appears to be too high for the average-Joe moviegoer that just expects action and guns and phaser beams (ala the terrible Star Trek Into Darkness). This is a real work of art, and one that is above the usual dumb plots of Summer blockbusters (ala Fast & Furious 6). These Summer blockbusters (like STID and FF6) are made for the dumb cinemagoers, the popcorn crunchers, to maximise revenues, yet Oblivion is made for the intelligent and philosophical viewer. If only Universal realised this in their marketing, but I understand it's all about the profit/loss, so they had to market it like that, but this is art, just with a better cast and a [much] higher budget than other art films.

I applaud Joseph Kosinski for making a thought-provoking sci-fi thriller.

A

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:22 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re: Oblivion
I hate saying this, but honestly I thought this was boring. Nothing wrong with Cruise's performance, but the movie is just so serious and downbeat that after a while it starts to become more and more less interesting IMO.

The visuals are nice and I liked the look of the world the director created, but besides that there was really nothing here for me to care about. Outside of Cruise I found the rest of the characters pretty dry and uninteresting.

Also, Morgan Freeman isn't in it much and it felt like most of the time he was just there.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:10 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

A+

Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:22 am
now we know

:thumbsup:

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:25 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I finally got around to watching this. I didn't want to see it at all, but I got it for free so I figured it wouldn't hurt to watch it. I expected to seriously hate it (I swear I saw the trailer 20 times in theaters and I was so sick of it I never wanted to see it) but I enjoyed it. It was really entertaining and Cruise is in great form here. It isn't anything new and it won't keep you guessing until the end but it is beautiful to look at and the strong performances are more than enough to recommend it.

7/10

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:41 am
Profile YIM WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

I thought this had a lot more potential than it ended up with, and was strongly leaning towards a B+, but I gave it an A- because the visuals were fantastic.

It has a lot of elements that other movies did better. (Moon, ID4, Wall-E, I Am Legend) But it did most of those things very well. I wish they would've fleshed out the clone storyline. (What did they do to the originals?!) I don't know why they didn't question why they had their memories erased. But overall, I enjoyed it, and Cruise was his typical solid self.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:44 pm
We had our time together

This has grown on me quite a bit. I've seen it about 5 times already, it's such a beautiful watch. Every time it's over, I want to watch it again.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:06 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Riggs wrote:
This has grown on me quite a bit. I've seen it about 5 times already, it's such a beautiful watch. Every time it's over, I want to watch it again.

Seems to be that kinda movie.

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Algren wrote:
I'm already planning on seeing it again.

I don't go to many movies more than once these days, but circumstances lead me to see Oblivion for a second time this past week, and I must say it played much stronger on this second viewing. Of course, to my mind it speaks much more to the clunkiness rather than the subtlety of the storytelling, that a moviegoer needs to watch it twice to appreciate it. Nonetheless, it definitely harks back to the glory days of hard sci-fi movies and surely deserves more props and more BO than it has currently garnered.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:11 pm
now we know

So some appreciate it. :D

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:21 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Watched it for the third time today, it gets better and better and is becoming one of my favorite sci-fi movies. It has an all time great score and is visually orgasmic.

Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:55 pm
now we know

It's a special film. Pure class.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:20 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

I watch it regularly every few weeks.

Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:54 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I don't jerk off to it on a regular basis, but I do quite love this film. It doesn't do anything completely new, but it's just so solid all around--visuals, world-building, sci-fi dystopian tension, Cruise, action, score.... (although I really despise Olga Kurylenko in this)... It's one of my favorite sci-fi films to come out in the last couple years. Also loved Edge of Tomorrow, but this one is more satisfying for me, its a complete package whereas I thought Edge of Tomorrow kind of sputters.

A-

Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:14 pm
now we know

I don't watch it often enough. But when I do, there is a box of Kleenex present. ;)

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

I'm so glad I saw this at the cinema. Such a perfect film. The way the developments unfold blew me away, and it still impresses me to this day.

Note: Spider-Man: Far From Home totally stole the drones from this film.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:02 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4