Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 The Jackal 

What grade would you give this film?
A 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

The Jackal 
College Boy Z

Post The Jackal
The Jackal

Quote:
The Jackal is a 1997 suspense film starring Bruce Willis, Richard Gere and Sidney Poitier. It was directed by Michael Caton-Jones. Its title is similar to the 1973 film The Day of the Jackal, and it shares many key plot elements.

A slick, smart action thriller. Richard Gere and Bruce Willis are both at the top of their game. B+

Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:23 am
You must have big rats

This action remake of the French/British thirller The Day of the Jackal sports Bruce Willis as the villian and Richard Gere as the action hero, both actors in roles rather untypical of them. While Gere is rather sub-par as an action star, you gotta wonder why Bruce Willis doesn't take on action roles more often because he really excells in this flick and delivers by far the best performance. Other than that, the movie is pretty generic and sadly has a predictable happy ending. Some suspense comes up, but not enough. There is a really cool small appearance by Jack Black, followed by just as cool of a demise that he has.

Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:36 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

A very poor recreation of the fabulous The Day of The Jackal, based on the novel by Fredrick Forsyth. Willis tries to be a cool assasin and ends up being a joke. Richard Gere fares slightly better.

The movie gets a F for trashing one of the very best movies ever made :disgust:

Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:23 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: The Jackal
I like the part where Bruce Willis annihilates Jack Black JUST CAUSE HE'S A BADASS.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:50 am
now we know

I've always loved The Jackal, so I've just watched it and I still love it. Bruce Willis pulls off the silent assassin type extremely well, and his different disguises are brilliant. I only wish he was more brutal in killing the Russian agent woman, Koslova. Also, if the Jackal had been able to kill Isabella, it would have made Declan's revenge more crucial. I understand that if he had killed Isabella at the house, then the movies' ending would have changed dramatically, but I just wanted him to be more bad-ass and kill some people that the audience wouldn't have expected. Gere was great, and his Irish accent was fine for me too. Great music; not some stock action music that action movies have nowadays, it has its own theme, and I love it. My best scenes are the gay guys death, Jack Black's death, and Isabella's house clearance. I love the dialogue between Jack Black and Bruce all the way through.

"Now I need to test its speed, so run"

"hahaha .... whatya' mean?"

"I mean run"

Great delivery, and leads to his demise.

Much better than 1973's The Day of the Jackal, and that one is pretty good too, but the remake has the charismatic star power of Bruce Willis and Richard Gere, and a polishing that the earlier version lacked. This version belongs to a small group of about 15 action-thrillers from the 90s that were just cool and highly watchable, consisting of Broken Arrow, Con Air, The Rock, Assassins, Face/Off, Payback etc., so it should feel privileged. Every director has one great movie in them, and this is Michael Caton-Jones' best. After this, he went down hill pretty quick.

A

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:08 am
Profile WWW
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Post Re:
Algren wrote:
Much better than 1973's The Day of the Jackal [...]

:disgust:

Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:36 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I'm gonna have to watch this again before I grade it but I remember seeing this in theatres and I hated the female character in it because every single frame she's in she's smoking. It's a cigarette in every freaking scene and that just left a bad taste in my mouth.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:53 am
now we know

nghtvsn wrote:
I'm gonna have to watch this again before I grade it but I remember seeing this in theatres and I hated the female character in it because every single frame she's in she's smoking. It's a cigarette in every freaking scene and that just left a bad taste in my mouth.

It's ok, the ugly bitch dies anyway. Smoking kills. ;)

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:01 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Bruce Willis is actually really good in it, he should play the villain a little more. Unfortunately from Gere's awful accent to subpar action the movie is pretty boring most of the way through. I think I prefer Mercury Rising to this one, but that's not saying much.

C+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:10 pm
now we know

Just watched this again. Wow, that's really spooky - I watched it ten years ago to the day. Anyway, it still holds up. It's a feast of accents. Venora doing Russian, Bruce doing Canadian, and Gere doing Irish. All work well for me. Top-notch action thriller. One of the ones where the remake improves on the original.

It was also cool to see J.K. Simmons as an FBI agent. Didn't notice him before so I guess he only became a "name" to me in the last ten years. Probably around Whiplash. Don't think I paid much attention to him prior to that.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:28 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]