Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol 

What grade would you give this film?
A 65%  65%  [ 15 ]
B 26%  26%  [ 6 ]
C 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 23

KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Re: Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
That's what she said.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:39 pm

Magnus wrote:
Johnny Dollar wrote:
Mission Impossible 3 began with a team dynamic, but it became a Hunt vs. the world thing by the end. Not so this time.

the final sequence to stop the nuke though was pretty much Hunt in crazy overdrive mode. The team didn't really do that much. Was somewhat disappointed that the final actions set piece of the film was probably its worst.

Though I did like the "Mission Accomplished" line and the fact that Hunt recognized the silliness of it.

The team didn't do much?

Spoiler: show
If Pegg didn't shoot the fake villain (or whatever he was...the one with the beard) then they would have never gotten the power on, and Hunt could have never pushed the button. They were all kinda very important in that final moment.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:15 pm

He did a lot of things, but his importance was ultimately to push the button. Without the power, Hunt's mission was useless.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:48 pm
Superman: The Movie

Johnny Dollar wrote:
I thought the music was pretty disappointing, actually. It was serviceable but I expect better from Giacchino. It felt like he was afraid to indulge in the original theme, which he shouldn't have been. It's a strong, iconic piece of music, and its underrepresented in the score.

He uses the original theme at least a handful of times in the score.

- Opening credits
- When Hunt and Benji run down the stairs in the Kremlin to set up the fake backdrop.
- When the team enters the hotel room in Dubai.
- While Hunt is scaling the hotel in Dubai (right after he ditches the malfunctioning glove). - Best use of the theme outside of the opening credits.
- When Hunt jumps out of the window and repels down the building in Dubai.
- When the bomb hits the Transamerica Pyramid in San Francisco.

His score reminded me of David Arnold's scores for the Bond series during the Brosnan years. Not in terms of quality, but in the number of times he used the theme. I remember Arnold once said in an interview that when Bond does something that's "Bond-like" you should hear the main theme kick in and that was the approach he brought to his three Brosnan films. I actually thought Giacchino brought a similar approach to his score for Ghost Protocol.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:23 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Way...

...too...

...long.

There's a good 88 minute long movie buried in the 133 minute running time.

Good, mind you, not great.

The tone was way too unfocused to approach any kind of greatness. The first third of the movie approached the requisite respect for the mission, but then it careened off into an entire cavalcade of missions. After that there were nice set pieces, but the director lacked any faith in coherent storytelling that might cement them into the structure of the film. Brad Bird needs to force himself to paint on a smaller canvas.

It is also so disappointing to see Simon Pegg take these second banana roles these days - - he's a leading man through and through.

As to the rest- - Tom Cruise was fine as always, but needs better dialogue to really shine. Paula Patton is a seriously underrated actress - - the world needs to see way more of her. And as always, Jeremy Renner's amateur shenanigans are shown up by the pros.

Yes, this fourth entry in the series got the right vibe going in a couple of missions, but once again failed to capture the broader respect for the patented Mission: Impossible formula.

2 out of 5.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:27 pm
Extraordinary

If only it could feature the same team work level of M:I-2, with such classics as:

-Ethan breaks into virus lab. Ethan gets in shoot out. Ethan makes daring escape. Aussie guy watches from helicopter. Ving Rhames sits in van.

-Ethan chases bad guy on motorcycle. Ethan has shoot out. Aussie guy flies helicopter. Ving Rhames shoots background baddies.

-Ethan has climactic fight with villain. Ethan shoots villain. Aussie sits. Ving Rhames watches.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:01 pm
now we know

Fantastic film. I didn't think Brad Bird would be capable, but he more than was. Tom Cruise is still an outstanding star, who I never doubted for a second. Glad he came up trumps again! Every set piece was executed beautifully! Nice humour, not too much, just subtle enough to still keep it action-focused. CANNOT WAIT FOR M:I-5!
A

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:53 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

The Dark Shape wrote:
If only it could feature the same team work level of M:I-2, with such classics as:

-Ethan breaks into virus lab. Ethan gets in shoot out. Ethan makes daring escape. Aussie guy watches from helicopter. Ving Rhames sits in van.

-Ethan chases bad guy on motorcycle. Ethan has shoot out. Aussie guy flies helicopter. Ving Rhames shoots background baddies.

-Ethan has climactic fight with villain. Ethan shoots villain. Aussie sits. Ving Rhames watches.

I'm not surprised at the high level of ignorance regarding the Mission: Impossible formula - - after all, the series was on television almost half a century ago - - what I am surprised at, is people's willingness to parade it.

Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:19 am
You must have big rats

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:

I'm not surprised at the high level of ignorance regarding the Mission: Impossible formula - - after all, the series was on television almost half a century ago - - what I am surprised at, is people's willingness to parade it.

Ok, I am too young to have experienced the TV series, so PLEASE enlighten me.

Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:46 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

I've seen the entire series on reruns. I can tell you it is nothing like the 2nd film. That's a James Bond clone that makes even the later Brosnan films look like masterpieces.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:54 am
Extraordinary

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Bradley Witherberry wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:

Team work is watching someone else do something, dontcha know.

Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:07 pm
Extraordinary

Dr. Lecter wrote:

The show's title says it all: Mission: Impossible.

The essence of the series' formula is a single (seemingly impossible) precisely planned and executed mission per episode.

The Dark Shape wrote:
Team work is watching someone else do something, dontcha know.

Teamwork, while regularly featured on the series, was subservient to the mission. If a mission could be best accomplished with a single operative, it would be. In fact in many episodes, the majority of the team were focused on the extraction of the lead operative. In addition to teamwork, other recurring peripheral elements contributed to the success of the series - - the gadgets, including the famous masks; the musical score, featuring the propulsive theme; the opening credits, laden with revealing clips from the upcoming episode; the whole set-up of the mission with the tape recorder and manilla envelope of photos (all that was ever seen of IMF command); and the fiendishly tight denouement.

Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:53 am
Wallflower

That was pretty awesome and easily the best in the series, IMO. Very entertaining. Paula Patton is gorgeous and Jeremy Renner is sexy-as-hell. I'd have no problem with him taking over the series. I'm glad this was a big hit so we'll get another one. I just hope they don't wait too long to do another or the goodwill from this one might wear off by that time.

B+

Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:03 pm
Wallflower

Johnny Dollar wrote:
I remember Jeremy Renner saying "Next time, I seduce the rich guy" after narrowly escaping the big computer. That's all I got.

And that I would love to see. They need to put it in the next movie :P.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:03 pm
now we know

I've just watched this again since seeing it in cinemas in January last year and this holds up tremendously well. It's such an action packed spectacle, and it's slick and well-filmed. Brad Bird should definitely return for the sequel. He has an eye for action set pieces. I loved how they made Cruise still be the main man (because there was talk of shifting the focus to Renner). Pegg is brilliant as the IMF techie, so funny (and real intelligent humour too, not stuff like in The Avengers or The Expendables 2, which is much more silly). I liked everyone in this and I only noticed on this viewing that it was the guy from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo as the villain. I think when I saw it last year I hadn't seen them yet. Who's the girl assassin? Wow. Hotness. There's certainly some lovely cleavage in this movie.

The Burj Khalifa scene still gave me sweaty palms even at home. Such a great, great scene, and it's layered with nervous comments and humour. All of the M:I movies are amazing, in my opinion, so for this to rank above the first and third (which I also adore and it takes nothing away from them), that's an accomplishment.

A+

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:40 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I am a huge Cruise fan, yet this left me cold. I even gave it a second chance. I hate the fact the antagonist is so thinly conceived, and the action sequences, while beautiful, have this almost clinical quality.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:46 am
Pure Phase

The female assassin is played by the gorgeous Léa Seydoux, who also has small roles in Inglourious Basterds, Midnight in Paris, and Robin Hood.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:48 am
now we know

I just watched Inglourious Basterds and I didn't notice her. What a coincidence. :funny: Who is she in it?

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:04 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Oh yeah, I remember. Just looked it up, she's Charlotte LaPadite.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:18 am
Profile WWW
Your Knife, My Back. My Gun, Your Head.

C/C+

I thought Ghost Protocol was pretty good. Jeremy Renner and Simon Pegg stole the show, imo. The action and camera work was nicely done.

The final showdown in the parking garage, had me rolling my eyes.

M:I 3 is still my fav of the series.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:36 pm

Still think this is the best Mission Impossible movie, and I still think Brad Bird is the master of fun and pulpy spy movies.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:41 pm
You must have big rats

CowboyFromHell wrote:
C/C+

I thought Ghost Protocol was pretty good. Jeremy Renner and Simon Pegg stole the show, imo. The action and camera work was nicely done.

The final showdown in the parking garage, had me rolling my eyes.

M:I 3 is still my fav of the series.

Hmm, I would never call C/C+ "pretty good".

Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:32 pm
Profile WWW
Your Knife, My Back. My Gun, Your Head.

Ok

Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:41 am
Superman: The Movie

Update

Brandt: “You’re line’s not long enough.”

Ethan: “No shit!”

Man does that seem dull seeing it written out plainly. But as delievered in the film? It’s why Tom Cruise is a star. No one could ever be Tom Cruise/Ethan Hunt (and I’m not sure I’d want to be), but damn does he still somehow find a way to be completely relatable while climbing and falling from one of the world’s tallest building (which is still stunning even away from movie theaters). Maybe that’s why he does all of his own stunts? He goes above and beyond what’s necessary in his stunt work, all in an effort to make him seem personable? It doesn’t work all the time, but it does in this series and especially in this film.

Brad Bird and Tom Cruise (and Christopher McQuarrie) are a match made in movie heaven. Bird and McQuarrie are creative enough to come up with the spectacular stunts and Cruise is crazy enough to do them for real.

The common complaint with this series and especially this film are the villains, Ghotocol has maybe the most forgettable one yet. However, it can get away with it because it’s always moving and it’s never not entertaining. It’s also easily the funniest movie in the series, and it’s all the more impressive that they make it look effortless.

The only thing this movie could use more of is Luther. Even if Benji kind of takes on the same role as he does, Luther should’ve been there throughout.

This is the best Mission: Impossible film (to date) and the best James Bond film Roger Moore never got to make. Speaking of Bond, they probably won’t hire him since he worked on this series, but can we get Bird over there at some point?

A+

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:03 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

It came out of nowhere and turned out to be the best movie of the series. Its run in December was insane, starting from a limited release in IMAX screens and then expanding during the holiday season and pretty much created a perfect storm with great WoM, known series, something original after a year dominated by similar looking sequels. I remember the WoM was really good/insane on this which helped it overshadow RDJ's Sherlock Holmes sequel that year.

As for the movie the Burj Khalifa scene, the action, the back-and-forth spy work, the team building, team dynamics and specially the comedy all works. The two things that do not work here are the villain and over-the-top Anil Kapoor as the the Indian tycoon Brijnath. These are two very minor things because there is not enough time to think through with that this movie throws at you every few minutes and keeps topping its action scenes one after another. It was the most freshest and easily the best MI movies thus far.

A

Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next