Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Something's Gotta Give 

What grade would you give this film?
A 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

Something's Gotta Give 
College Boy Z

Post Something's Gotta Give
Something's Gotta Give

Quote:
Something's Gotta Give is a 2003 American romantic comedy film written, produced and directed by Nancy Meyers for both Columbia Pictures and Warner Bros. It stars Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton as a successful 60-something and 50-something, who find love for each other at a different time of life, despite being complete opposites. Keanu Reeves and Amanda Peet co-star, with Frances McDormand, Paul Michael Glaser, Jon Favreau and KaDee Strickland playing key supporting roles.

While critical reaction to the film as a whole was more measured, it received generally favorable notice and became a surprise box-office hit following its North American release, eventually grossing US$266,600,000 worldwide, mostly from its international run. For her performance Keaton earned a Golden Globe, a Satellite Award as well as an Academy Award nomination and a SAG Award nomination for "Best Actress," among others. Nicholson also received a Golden Globe nomination for "Best Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy." This was Nicholson and Keaton's second film together since 1981's Reds.

Last edited by zingy on Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:17 pm
Award Winning Bastard

OMG...this was a great movie! I felt so connected to Nicholson's character. We're both good hearted (try to be), we both sleep for about 4 hours a night. Both involved in music production. Both are a little flirty over the internet. Both are a little non commited in relationships, and wish we could change that aspect of ourselves. We both aren't ashamed of being attracted to younger girls. He was 63, and I'm 36 , so our ages consist of the same use of numbers, just in the opposite order...hardy har har. It was actually kinda sad for me, and it really made me consider the very real possiblity of being as truely lonely as Harry was in 30 years, and not having the wealth and fame to shroud that lonliness in the company of young girls that meant little to me in the way of happiness. Hollywood storybook romances don't necessarily come along when you need it most in your life, if they ever do. Jack Nicholson and Dian Keaton were outstanding!

A+

Last edited by Maverikk on Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:50 pm
You must have big rats

B+

It is one of the better romcoms to come along these days and certainly better than Myers' previous What Women Want. Diane Keaton is great, but Jack Nicholson is truly astonishing. I thought the ending dragged a little (with the whole Kanu Reeves thing involved), but besides that, it is a great flick and a very funny one at that.

Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:20 pm
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

its been a while since i saw this one, i need to see again!

but its a great romantic comedy, both Diane Keaton and Jack gave a wonderful performence!

B+

Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:24 pm
New Server, Same X

Definitely a great, fun-filled film. A little long, but still a great movie. Grade: A-

Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:40 pm
Award Winning Bastard

The best thing about the DVD, is what I'm listening to right now. Jack freakin' Nicholson, a guy that I have never known to do interviews, does commentary on the DVD, and it's awesome to hear the guy opening up about his craft as Jack Nicholson the actor.

Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:51 pm
We had our time together

I was pretty surprised by this one. Nicholson is again GREAT here. Keaton is awesome too. Even Reeves gives a solid and charming performances. I loved it. Bought it months ago on DVD and it's holds up well on repeat viewings. Very enjoyable movie. A-

Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:13 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

A+

:cool:

Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:52 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

I'm so glad you liked it, Mav. How about Diane Keaton doing a nude scene at almost age 60? Heh.

What did you think of Bridget Jones's Diary?

Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:30 pm
Award Winning Bastard

One of my favorite movies. A

I'm so glad you liked it, Mav. How about Diane Keaton doing a nude scene at almost age 60? Heh.

Diane's nude scene...I was shocked at first, but I still looked. :razz:

Lecter will tease me nonstop if I review Bridget Jones's Diary :-#

Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:19 am
Sbil

Libs wrote:

By the way, Heartbreakers is on TBS right now. It started here at midnight, so I don't know if it already started where you live or you're an hour behind on the schedule? Not sure.

Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:24 am
Award Winning Bastard

By the way, Heartbreakers is on TBS right now. It started here at midnight, so I don't know if it already started where you live or you're an hour behind on the schedule? Not sure.

I had that one in my hands, but I put it down and rented S1mone instead. It's on now, but I want to rent it as soon as I return these and watch it from the start.

BTW...Bridget Jones's Diary was an excellent movie. :-$

Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:31 am
Extraordinary

Excellent film held together by two superb performances from Keaton and Nicholson. - A-

Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:09 am
No Wire Tampons!

Wow, this movie was nowhere near as good as you guys are making out; its very good; but not the classic A+ grade mav gave it.

Nicholson slowed down the film and Keaton held it together

http://naturalflux7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=986 i gave it a [B]

Nancy Meyers is one of my favourites but.... i think this sums the films performances up

"Thankfully, when things get a little slow, Diane Keaton pops up on screen and presents a wholy believable and genuinely vibrant character in her role as a frigid older woman. Her terrific exhuberance in the role means that Somethings Gotta Give is a joy when shes onscreen, and shes looking pretty hot for an older woman too.]

Jack Nicholson delivers some of the best scenes in the film, but he is also a problem with the pace of the movie. His age is showing and despite an aptness to comedies like "Somethings Gotta Give" in recent years, Jack's delivery is slow and dopy, which can get tedious at times. Still Nicholson is well suited for the role which reflected his recent lifestyle. Keanu Reeves surprisingly slides above wooden at stages, before receeding to an acting style which is duller than the paint on the lavish set drying, and Amanda Peet is not up to par here, as she has been in previous comedic roles. Peet is a wasted talent, and Francis McDormand is equally underused.

Nancy Meyers is a womans woman, her writing is clearly relying on the target audience of older women being able to relate to much of the situations Jack and Diane are placed in, and therefore find them funny. And she makes the Hamptons feel like a breezy place of love and fun, an idealistic seahouse with pale wood thats as light as the movie. Even the poster invites viewers with the warmth and familiarity of first name terms. Simply "Jack and Diane""

Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:54 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Libs wrote:

We all know you enjoyed the butt-naked Nicholson much more :razz:

Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:01 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

We all know you enjoyed the butt-naked Nicholson much more :razz:

I even paused it and frame advanced it...slowly. =P~

Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:03 pm
You must have big rats

I saw the movie on a plane, so I was deprived of both scenes.

Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:08 pm
Profile WWW
life begins now

This is a really good movie. It's funny in just the right places, and it isn't over funny. Keaton is wonderful in it, and Nicholson, Reeves and McDormand are good as well.

B+

Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:21 pm
Profile YIM
Golfaholic

4/10. Terribly. Overlong. Constructed. The worst sex scene ever. And Keaton was nowhere near a deserving Oscar nominee

Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:45 pm

4/10. Terribly. Overlong. Constructed. The worst sex scene ever. And Keaton was nowhere near a deserving Oscar nominee

=D>

And in real life Keaton's chracter would not have dated a sleae like Nicholson, she would happily been with Reeves character, I find the movie insulting stupid!

Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:59 pm
Golfaholic

Levy wrote:

=D>

And in real life Keaton's chracter would not have dated a sleae like Nicholson, she would happily been with Reeves character, I find the movie insulting stupid!

it is. indeed. You know what? When she makes a play out of it and they say Nicholson's character dies in the second act, I thought "Why didn't they use this for the movie" It would have been for the better...

Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:03 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Ripper wrote:
Levy wrote:

=D>

it is. indeed. You know what? When she makes a play out of it and they say Nicholson's character dies in the second act, I thought "Why didn't they use this for the movie" It would have been for the better...

Your opinions are both wrong, but I'm sure you guys are used to that. :razz:

Last edited by Maverikk on Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:51 pm
Sbil

Ripper wrote:
Levy wrote:

=D>

For you, maybe. Heh.

Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:53 pm
Award Winning Bastard

For you, maybe. Heh.

Your opinion on this film was 100% correct, although I think I liked it even more than you did.

Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:57 pm
Golfaholic

Levy wrote:
Ripper wrote:
Levy wrote:

=D>

Your opinions are both wrong, but I'm sure you guys are used to that. :razz:

yes, Mr. "George Lucas is the best filmmaker alive" :wink:

Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next