Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 3:10 to Yuma (2007) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 59%  59%  [ 16 ]
B 37%  37%  [ 10 ]
C 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 27

3:10 to Yuma (2007) 

Post 3:10 to Yuma (2007)
3:10 to Yuma

Quote:
3:10 to Yuma is the 2007 remake of the 1957 film of the same name, making it the second adaptation of Elmore Leonard's short story Three-Ten to Yuma. It is directed by James Mangold and produced by Cathy Konrad, and stars Russell Crowe and Christian Bale. Filming took place in various locations in New Mexico. 3:10 to Yuma opened September 7, 2007, in the United States.

Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:07 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Post Re: 3:10 to Yuma [2007]
Compelling and entertaining, director James Mangold's 3:10 to Yuma is a solid entry into a genre that doesn't get much play anymore. Russell Crowe and Christian Bale, who have to be thought of as two of the most "intense" actors in the business, are both terrific. Crowe's performance is mysteriously dangerous; despite being in handcuffs throughout, it's his Ben Wade who exerts the power over others through manipulation. On the other spectrum, Bale brings an unforced dignity to his three-dimensional character, while teenager Logan Lerman is credible as Bale's son. The standouts of the supporting cast are Peter Fonda and Ben Foster. Fonda doesn't have much screen time, but his performance is wonderfully sprightly, while Foster threatens to steal several scenes in the picture with his memorable turn as a devoted (but psychotic) underling of Crowe's. The film is well-written, edited, acted, shot, and directed. It's difficult to go wrong. B+

Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:52 pm
Indiana Jones IV

This movie seemed to come out of nowhere and so I was kind of shocked at how bloody good it was. Great lead turns by Bale and especially Crowe. The interaction between their characters is fantastic, particularly during the final scenes, which are just perfect. Ben Foster also got my attention as a quick draw badass. Mangold does terrific work behind the camera here. There is an opening stagecoach robbery that is very exciting, along with a memorable final shoot-out. The movie moves at a great pace and there's not an ounce of fat on it. Perhaps nothing ground-breaking, the typical iconography of the genre is present and accounted for, but really solid nonetheless. Nicely understated score as well.

One of the year's best - A

Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:16 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Enjoyable, interesting, the interactions between the characters are all well done. Crowe is quite excellent here, Bale is doing tortured man as best as he can, though it works. The rest of the cast is fine. I really enjoyed Mangold's direction, he crafted the film well, and with some work I think he has a genuine future.

Here's where the movie falters. It's absolutely littered with scenes where people do things for no reason, where apparantley no-one has a brain. In other words, it's dumb. It's very dumb. I'll run through some:

Dan and the crew bring Wade back to their house, and sit him at the dinner table. One of the men thinks he hears a noise, at which point all 4 of the men immediatley run outside and start shooting. No-one realizes they're leaving a mass murderer completley alone and free with Bale's fragile wife. Crowe doesn't take advantage, which makes a bit more sense with events later in the movie, but still.

Then there's a scene where during a bathroom break, indians assault the travelling crew, and Crowe kills them and saves the day. He then comes back, kicks Dan, and takes a horse to escape. Apparantley no-one in the 4-5 man camp has a gun at this point to stop him, he, who was just off killing indians, through some magical act now has them all. What, did all 4-5 of them give him their guns before he killed the indians? So fucking dumb. Also, apparantley he's content to let everyone live and chase him on his escape, despite being a mass murderer who kills at random and having all the guns. The whole scene makes so little sense that I don't know where to start, I was scratching my head for a while after that one.

Luke Wilson and his posse... oh my. Let's tie him to a pole and electricute him! Wtf? There's far far far far too many people in this movie who let Wade live for no reason. He should've been shot about 5 times.

Small moments... Wade lets Byron live early on the film because he thinks he deserves a better death than that(???), then later throws him off a cliff for no reason. Wade reveals at the end that he's been to Yuma twice and knows how to escape easy? Gee, wouldn't his gang know that? You'd think they'd be a little less do or die. The whole decoy carriage was the worst plan ever for the guy driving it and the guy in there... I didn't catch the explanation Bale tried to give to his wife. Whatever it was, it didn't work. Speaking of the wife, I imagined a pissed Charlie would've slaughtered her after figuring out the decoy. Guess not.

The finale is the king of all dumb moments though. One, the two dodge more bullets than Matrix in Commando. Bale even gets hit lots but apparantley has no problem standing and running after it. Two, Charlie's 7 men turn into about 700. I could maybe understand hidden men under different circumstances(though not THAT many), but didn't he only have 7-ish guys tracking with him in the rest of the movie? Three, the entire cow plan, so dumb. There was a mexican shooter on a building that could've hit them, a man is taller than a cow's body. Bale's son would've been shot the second his gun first went off. The script tried to be clever there, but it made no sense.

Four, when Crowe kills everyone. I can understand fast, but to kill 6-7 killers and gunmen without one shooting back? Hi, Gene Wilder in Blazing Saddles! I never knew you were in this movie! Five, Crowe and Bale are so shortsighted it's silly. Gee, you think Bale won't get shot once the train leaves? It wasn't a maybe, there's no way he survives. Wade should've told him he wanted to go to Yuma(to help Bale + he can escape) much much earlier, like when he started running for the train himself for no reason. Why couldn't he just talk to Charlie and voluntarily gone on the train? Butterfield would be pissed, but Wade could give Dan the $1000 himself. Or they could just you know, ride away, same thing, give him the money. But of course, that would prevent the climatic showdown and father-son death moment, so run as fast as you can to the train and hope you don't get hit by the 1000 bullets it is! It's a movie, and I understand the need for a guns blazing showdown, but maybe they should've just constructed their climax better, something that didn't involve the hero rushing for sure death in what must be the worst plan ever.

The screenplay in general doesn't work that well. Some nice moments, but for the most part it's typical cliche western talk. The bad guys are evil for the sake of being evil. Some lines are way off (You can't do that... That's immoral!) ... etc.

I guess it was enjoyable. Mangold did a good job filming this. It honestly had the potential to be a great great western, Crowe and Bale make a good contrasting pair. But there were far too many head-scratching moments for me, it really overshadowed by enjoyment of the film... my critical glasses were on too tight. I'll look forward to Mangold's next.

C+

Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:25 am
Motherfuckin' sexual

I agree with the above post I enjoyed the movie, but there were just some insanely idiotic moments. Crowe's character would have bee killed numerous times. I understand they wanted to make an example out of him, but to put the lives of so many in danger to do this is pathetic. The bullet dodging/climax scene was retarded at best. It was like 40 on 1. The interaction between the characters is what saved this movie. The opening bank car robbery scene was the best, and then it slowly went downhill from there.

B-

Last edited by Diesel on Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:08 am
Profile YIM WWW
Motherfuckin' sexual

Double post... :grrr:

Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:08 am
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Those complaints are probably what made the film work for so many others actually, atleast for me. It really felt like a traditional western in practically all aspects, had a very old school vibe and feel to it while feeling very fresh. The idea of the hero not being all that much of a hero and the bad guy having a bit of a heart worked really well for me, the chemistry and the way Bale and Crowe played off each other was extremely well done. I enjoyed it throughly and hope to see one more great western this year (:wink:) hopefully Yuma and James can resurrect a genre that deserves more life and respect.

Grade - B+

Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:27 am
The Lubitsch Touch

A solid western. Exciting. Enjoyed it immensely. But the final 25 minutes or so are really contrived and lousy.

And the movie falters in that Crowe is far more charismatic, interesting and, hell, sympathetic, than the Bale character. So the whole thing (particularly the finale) is terribly misshapen.

Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:06 pm
Jesus of Nazareth

TheSuaveOne wrote:
I agree with the above post I enjoyed the movie, but there were just some insanely idiotic moments. Crowe's character would have bee killed numerous times. I understand they wanted to make an example out of him, but to put the lives of so many in danger to do this is pathetic. The bullet dodging/climax scene was retarded at best. It was like 40 on 1. The interaction between the characters is what saved this movie. The opening bank car robbery scene was the best, and then it slowly went downhill from there.

B-

Well considering that 30 of them were hired townspeople and maybe drunk for that 200, I would think that most wouldn't be able to shoot straight.

And to one of Shack's point as I don't have the time to explain others. I could see Crowe killing all 7 of his men. They were shocked and he is the fastest gun so 4 are dead by the time they realized what was happening and the other three probably never got their guns drawn. 7 no big deal.

Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:40 pm
Devil's Advocate

Ack I forgot about the townspeople getting hired... that explains why there were so many guys.

Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:08 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

Maybe my favorite film of the year. I think Crowe deserves an Oscar nomination for this performance. It is hard to convey intelligence in a character, but Crowe does it while at the same time appearing menacing. I loved the dinner table scene where Crowe quietly gathers intelligence about his captors while seemingly trying to annoy them.

Foster did a good job with his character who seems to be similar to Wade except that Foster is all intimidation with little intelligence. Bale did good job giving his character a quiet dignity.

The ending might turn some people off but in light of the relationship between Crowe and Bale's characters, I think it works. Lastly, the score was good in that it didn't overburden the film like some scores in the genre do.

A.

Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:07 pm
Profile WWW
Squee

I kind of don't like these kind of "shot in the back" endings.

But Crowe's character was still great. He just didn't care. Did stuff for the fuck of it.

But eh, just in the end, wasn't too thrilled with it.

**1/2

:glare:

Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:34 pm
Jesus of Nazareth

Squee wrote:
I kind of don't like these kind of "shot in the back" endings.

But Crowe's character was still great. He just didn't care. Did stuff for the fuck of it.

But eh, just in the end, wasn't too thrilled with it.

**1/2

I agree with that, I usually hate that last second killing.

Also, I still have to watch it again for that ending where Crowe flipped.

Spoiler: show
First, he says that he is done going along with it. Then he is about to kill Bale. Then he stops.

Was it before Bale says he lied about being a hero, the story about his kid or was it Crowe's story about his life at 8.

Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:58 pm
The 5th B-Sharp

I don't see why people are coming up with these "holes" in the story.
For the Indian part Crowe kills them to protect himself ,during this Bale is hurt. Now Crowe has a gun, and the people left are a doctor, a stagecoach owner, and a 14 year old kid they all know how fast Crowe is with his pistol so they may not want to try to take him out. For the electrocuting part, Crowe had killed his brother excuse the guy if he wants to cause him some pain. The Byron part I think is VERY obvious, he talked badly about Crowe's mother, "even bad boys, love there mother." Crowe is able to kill his men because of shock. Also even after being shot by him Foster followed him enough not to shoot back. And if people can't tell why Bale and Crowe both went for the train at the end you clearly were not watching the same movie as me.
Anyway #2 of the year, I love so much about this movie. A+

Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:32 pm
Devil's Advocate

Well that covers the impossible moments, I half-expected there to be explanations to those to be honest, even the most amateur screenwriters don't make mistakes that big

The finale and Wade's loose treatment through the movie still bugged me too much though

Last edited by Shack on Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:09 pm
Kypade

its birlelnet.

Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:14 pm
Teenage Dream

This is the perfect example of a movie that straddles the line of passable entertainment and greatness, never landing on either side long enough to define itself.

I think Mangold really dropped the ball with the way he chose to shoot his picture here, which is relatively surprising considering his standing as one of the better work for hire filmmakers out there. He never bothers trying to establish a sense of environment, a sense of place (the way a far better western from last year, The Proposition, did) for his characters, and that is criminal considering the vistas he has at his disposal. Instead we are treated to a near constant use of the generic close-up/medium routine while Mangold completely sells his movie short in the process.

And yeah, the logic of the final ten minutes or so is out-and-out retarded, but the movie has great pacing and wonderful character interaction, so we almost forget the ridiculousness of the character arcs on display.

Still, the movie is good in a general sense, and you could certainly do worse.

Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:15 pm
Superman: The Movie

I really enjoyed this. The ending has a "been there, done that" feeling to it, but the performances, and the absolute final shot of the film more than make up for it.

And....
Peter Fonda easily had the best death scene in any film this year. It was borderline hilarious.

After a very mediocre start, this year has really started to pick up in quality.

A

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:49 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Pretty nice movie. I liked the way the western atmosphere was done. The story was good too, though at believability's border. Entertaining and slightly touching it was.

B.

3- Lone Survivor 8.5/10
4- Captain America 8.0/10
5- 300: 8.0/10

Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:05 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

I don't disagree that the climax was improbable, but I actually liked the story's resolution, particularly how Wade was jealous that a man could have such a strong moral code that they'd be willing to die for it. Both the leads were excellent, as was the kid who played Bale's son. Ben Foster was a menacing villian, but those who have seen Alpha Dog will find his performance rather familiar. Highly reccomended.

Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:43 pm
Jesus of Nazareth

MovieDude wrote:
I don't disagree that the climax was improbable, but I actually liked the story's resolution, particularly how Wade was jealous that a man could have such a strong moral code that they'd be willing to die for it. Both the leads were excellent, as was the kid who played Bale's son. Ben Foster was a menacing villian, but those who have seen Alpha Dog will find his performance rather familiar. Highly reccomended.

I still have to see it again but I still don't like that he decided that his family would be better off with him dead or without him when it was hopeless for him to go through with it.

Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:39 am
Where will you be?

JesusHChrist wrote:
MovieDude wrote:

I still have to see it again but I still don't like that he decided that his family would be better off with him dead or without him when it was hopeless for him to go through with it.

See, I think you're missing the whole arc of the character. This guy wasn't some disgraced hero, he was a guy who had always had shit luck and walked all over by everyone. But his saving grace was the code he lived, and ultimately died by. Wade was jealous that this man, who had so much less than him, could believe so firmly in something that wasn't getting him ahead. Wade obviously was ready to move past his gang of thugs, and thought escaping from prison was a preferable option to sticking with Foster & Co. Him getting on the train, however briefly, let Bale's son finally give his father god honest respect and admiration. If his family was provided for and he had that, I think he was able to die in relative peace. Call that sappy, or don't be entirely wrong by calling it unrealistic. But I think it's a satisfying way to end a Western.

I think a lot of people liked Russell Crowe so much more in this film because he's obviously having a great time with the swaggering badass, but I honestly found their performances to be equally solid. Those who say Crowe could've played both parts better than Bale wouldn't nessecarily be wrong, but even if Bale is always either very intense or fucking nutso he always manages to add plenty of layers and subtle emotion to his characters. It's like compaing Jack Nicholson to Robert DeNiro, or for those who have only seen recent movies Don Cheadle to Leonardo DiCaprio.

Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:04 am
Jesus of Nazareth

OK, I agree and know everything you said and it was the way to end it.

But even though his family will have a good memory of him and the extra money, it is just sad that a good man died and his family losses a god father.

Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:12 am
Where will you be?

JesusHChrist wrote:
OK, I agree and know everything you said and it was the way to end it.

But even though his family will have a good memory of him and the extra money, it is just sad that a good man died and his family losses a god father.

Well yeah, it doesn't really have a happy ending in most senses, but given the build up I think it worked much better dramatically for Bale to bite it.

Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:39 am
College Boy Z

Excellent.

It does give that "been there, done that" vibe, but I enjoyed it a lot. It's well-paced, exciting, and the two lead performances (especially Crowe, for me at least) just made the movie completely. Russell Crowe is such a bad ass.

B+

Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next