Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 3:10 to Yuma (2007) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 59%  59%  [ 16 ]
B 37%  37%  [ 10 ]
C 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 27

3:10 to Yuma (2007) 
Extraordinary

Post Re: 3:10 to Yuma [2007]
For once, instead of a character study, we get a study of character...

..and this one was pretty darn good!

A amped-up Western with some subtle modernized touches to goose it on.

Bale and Crow are great as always - - very believable characters - - essential when you're puttin' on a show as unlikely as this one.

Yup, uh-huh, it t'were good like!

5 out of 5.

Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:09 am
Extraordinary

Shack wrote:
Luke Wilson and his posse... oh my. Let's tie him to a pole and electricute him! Wtf? There's far far far far too many people in this movie who let Wade live for no reason. He should've been shot about 5 times.

Dr. Evil: Scott, I want you to meet daddy's nemesis, Austin Powers
Scott Evil: What? Are you feeding him? Why don't you just kill him?
Dr. Evil: I have an even better idea. I'm going to place him in an easily escapable situation involving an overly elaborate and exotic death.
Dr. Evil: All right guard, begin the unnecessarily slow-moving dipping mechanism.
[guard starts dipping mechanism]
Dr. Evil: Close the tank!
Scott Evil: Wait, aren't you even going to watch them? They could get away!
Dr. Evil: No no no, I'm going to leave them alone and not actually witness them dying, I'm just gonna assume it all went to plan. What?
Scott Evil: I have a gun, in my room, you give me five seconds, I'll get it, I'll come back down here, BOOM, I'll blow their brains out!
Dr. Evil: Scott, you just don't get it, do ya? You don't.

Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:42 am
Extraordinary

MovieDude wrote:
Those who say Crowe could've played both parts better than Bale wouldn't nessecarily be wrong...

Actually, that would make a great movie too - - perhaps they could be twin brothers who'd gone their separate ways...

Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:46 am
You must have big rats

I'm still a bit torn between giving this film the perfect grade or taking some of its minor flaws into consideration. I think time and repeat viewings will tell, but right now I'm leaning towards the straight A.

3:10 to Yuma is certainly some of the fastest two hours I've spent at a theatre this year. The movie's a homage to westerns and is done in an old-school way. There's a flawed hero and a charistamtic villain and a gang of some really evil, one-dimensional bad guys. The set-up is simple and works greatly. Without a doubt, this is the best film I've seen so far by James Mangold, easily exceeding his Oscar candidate Walk the Line. The movie does not possess the artistic qualities of, say, The Assassination of Jesse James, but on the whole, it's a very solid job as far as the technical aspects of the film go. The cinematogaphy, the editing and the score are all well-done, without being really exceptional (though I did like the editing a lot, actually). Now what carries this film are the actors, in particular the two leads. Christian Bale and Russell Crowe play off each other really really well and while I really like Bale, he was certainly overshadowed by Crowe's scene-stealing, charistmatic and charming performance. I bought him being the evil menace just as well as his "transformation" into a better person. This is the second great performance I've seen by Crowe this year. Seriously, I know very few actors working in Hollywood right now who are as consistent as Crowe is at delivering terrific turns.

The rest of the gangs are pretty good by themselves too. Peter Fonda is decent, though doesn't have much to do. Ben Foster, while very one-note, is still terrifying and oozes menace. Alan Tyduk did a very convincing job as the Doc who finally finds his courage at a particular point in the movie. Logan Lerman does a surprisingly good job as Bale's son in the film. Still, it's the chemistry between Bale and Crowe and the changes their characters undergo that make the film stand out. I haven't seen several acclaimed releases of 2007 yet, but I'd say that from what I've seen, the SAG Best Ensemble nom for 3:10 to Yuma is well-deserved.

Now I understand some of the criticisms about the film's ending and I certainly shook my head once or twice in disbelief during the film's climax. I wouldn't call most (or maybe even any) of this stuff "plot holes" (such as Crowe being able to kill all members of his gang - obviously he was the best shooter of them and they didn't see that coming). However, I was asking myself as well at some point why all of this needed to happen and why Crowe didn't just call off his gang or something. Then again, it wouldn't have made up for such a great ending, though. I liked the way how the paths of Bale's and Crowe's characters concluded. It seemed rather fitting and that's all I cared about at the end. What I felt when leaving the theatre was a joy of a well-acted, well-filmed and exciting old-fashioned joy ride and that's certainly a more than I expected.

Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:17 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Watched this a few days ago, but I've been too busy to review it (Xmas time and all that).

I quite loved it. Westerns are the one genre that I always seem to enjoy but are rarely made, and this was a fantastic, old-school, kick-ass genre flick. Not only does it have some exhilarating action scenes and some good 'ol shootouts, but it's got a great story with ample amounts of depth, solid characters, and a terrific ending. Crowe and Bale play off each other perfectly, with the former's charisma and wit contrasting excellently with the latter's subtlety and stoicism. And the finale, while eschewing logic and reason for an adrenaline rush, makes perfect thematic and even narrative sense. It's not overtly stylistic or artistic, but it is a fantastic thrill ride of a movie that's a near-masterpiece of the genre.

***½

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Last edited by trixster on Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:15 am
You must have big rats

Oh yeah, the shoot-outs were excellent, though it lacked one "big" one-on-one showdown.

Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:41 am
Profile WWW
Team Kris

Hard to believe (and I just realized) that Bale finally got his first SAG nomination ever (!!) as part of the ensemble for this movie.

Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:16 pm

One of my favorite this year, it is both fun and well made, and those are my favorite type of films because after all, film is entertainment, even if it an art as well (which it certainly is).

A/A+

Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:06 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

deserved SAG Emsemble award. Really great stuff. B+

Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:40 am
Speed Racer

I loved it, in my top 5 of 2007

Everyone did a great job in it, but the breakout performance is Ben Foster as Charlie Prince, he plays the 2nd best villan of 2007, right behind Javier bardem

A+

Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:49 pm
Cream of the Crop

Vanilla Sky wrote:
I loved it, in my top 5 of 2007

Everyone did a great job in it, but the breakout performance is Ben Foster as Charlie Prince, he plays the 2nd best villan of 2007, right behind Javier bardem

A+

Hear, hear.

Ben Foster stole the show here. He was menacing.

For the film, B+.

Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:57 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

it is a good film no doubt but some have called it the best western film made like how people praise the Departed and have not seen other mob films.

Well I found it to be a good film and compared to other recent westerns it is great, but the best western film ever???

Sergio Leone films blow this crap out of the water.The Good the Bad and The Ugly is out of this films league and really there is no knockout scene or no real macho scene with them looking at each other for 5 mins and keeping you all tense and everything.

Tell me is there a film that captivates an audience by men staring at each other for 5 mins!

Imo it is as good as a fistful of dollars but that is a pretty average film. It is better then Unforgiven and is a good film but nowhere near to being the best Western and lets not forget Once Upon a Time in The West.

Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:45 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Post Re: 3:10 to Yuma (2007)
I watched this before and didn't think much of it, a standard western ... but I just rewatched it and pretty much loved it. Very poignant ending too. And what a cast; Christian Bale, Russell Crowe, Ben Foster, Peter Fonda, Grethen Mol, and Luke Wilson. You can't beat a good western.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri May 26, 2023 6:06 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2