Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Evan Almighty 

What grade would you give this film?
A 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
B 32%  32%  [ 6 ]
C 47%  47%  [ 9 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 19

Evan Almighty 
New Server, Same X

Fairly bad movie. Even for a kids movie. Although, I probably would've loved it better if I was 10.

The good: Steve Carell puts forth a decent effort, but it's easily his worst role yet. Wastes his talent. Wanda Sykes is somehow always funny, even though I for some reason thought I hated her. I think I laughed everytime she talked. She plays the same role everytime, in every bad movie that she's in, but that's cool. And, umm... well, a chuckle here and there.

The bad: Bird shit. The gag ain't funny once, and it ain't funny eight times. The movie could've been made for about $30 mill, if not for the final ten minutes. And by the time I got to the last big scene, I didn't really care all that much. And, the movie's cast is quite talented, but the cast also reeks of "supporting actors in bad movies". Lauren Graham, John Goodman, Wanda Sykes, Molly Shannon. I like or love all of 'em, but they do a lot of shit movies.

I do give the writers a ton of credit for doing something almost completely different from Bruce Almighty. They could've easily done the same stuff from Bruce (giving Evan God's powers for a week), but they didn't. Unfortunately, they came up with some horrific jokes. Maybe a carbon copy of Bruce Almighty wouldn't have been so bad...

Grade: D+

Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:46 pm
htm

Warning - it's been over a month since I've seen this and I've done my best to erase it from my memory, but the persisting box office performance of the film keeps reminding me of it. Anyway, as usual, my reviews will be filled with lots of big words and skimpy on the detail, but you'll get what I mean.

What an awful, awful turn for the man that turned in fantastic performances in Little Miss Sunshine and 40YOV. Not only is this film unfunny, it's downright annoying. It seems as if every cliche the creators could have used relating to the story was tossed in - and then some. How about the "man is really not crazy but the rest of the world [yknow, a bunch of flat, boring characters] harp on the fact that he is crazy for two hours, only to be proven wrong!" element that we've been exposed to countless times over? The family element really fails - its tough to buy the Congressman and his wife, kids as a stable household because there is not only no chemistry between the players, but no substance. Not even comedic substance! How can a comedy survive if it never offers a joke that isn't a miserable failure? Far too often, I felt like I was watching a rehash of an awful movie - that's about all this amounts too. Stay for the end - it's the best. We're treated to an outrageously expensive (over $100m?!) finale that's not thrilling (hell, even convincing) as a wooden ark - wait for it - floats through Washington, DC. And, to top it off, the ark even crashes into the Capitol, where all of our dear protagonist's doubters are waiting! Oh, how convenient and expeced. I can't believe this was made - I'm appalled, actually. It's easily one of the greatest misfires in recent years and really, really begs one to ask, aren't there better ways for us (and Hollywood) to spend our money?

Zero/****

Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:59 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Re: Evan Almighty
B+

better than the original which I give a C+

Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:32 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

I finally got to see this at the discount theater yesterday... I liked it. I didn't feel quite as emotionally affected as I did by Bruce Almighty, but I still liked it. My grade is a B+.

My sister pointed out to my mom and I today that we ended up seeing the movie on September 22.... :hahaha:

Joy

Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:22 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Post Re:
zennier wrote:
Warning - it's been over a month since I've seen this and I've done my best to erase it from my memory, but the persisting box office performance of the film keeps reminding me of it. Anyway, as usual, my reviews will be filled with lots of big words and skimpy on the detail, but you'll get what I mean.

What an awful, awful turn for the man that turned in fantastic performances in Little Miss Sunshine and 40YOV. Not only is this film unfunny, it's downright annoying. It seems as if every cliche the creators could have used relating to the story was tossed in - and then some. How about the "man is really not crazy but the rest of the world [yknow, a bunch of flat, boring characters] harp on the fact that he is crazy for two hours, only to be proven wrong!" element that we've been exposed to countless times over? The family element really fails - its tough to buy the Congressman and his wife, kids as a stable household because there is not only no chemistry between the players, but no substance. Not even comedic substance! How can a comedy survive if it never offers a joke that isn't a miserable failure? Far too often, I felt like I was watching a rehash of an awful movie - that's about all this amounts too. Stay for the end - it's the best. We're treated to an outrageously expensive (over $100m?!) finale that's not thrilling (hell, even convincing) as a wooden ark - wait for it - floats through Washington, DC. And, to top it off, the ark even crashes into the Capitol, where all of our dear protagonist's doubters are waiting! Oh, how convenient and expeced. I can't believe this was made - I'm appalled, actually. It's easily one of the greatest misfires in recent years and really, really begs one to ask, aren't there better ways for us (and Hollywood) to spend our money?

Zero/****

I won't comment on the rest of your review, but the ark landed conveniently at the capitol building because of god, Evan asks him at the end about that luck and he says "Ok, I may have gaven you a little push."

Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:58 pm
Where will you be?

Post Re:
zennier wrote:

Zero/****

You're confusing me - I see plenty of details about the film but where are the big words we were promised?

Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:21 am
Teh Mexican

Call me crazy but its actually better than Bruce Almighty. I enjoyde it quite a bit more.

B

Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:02 pm
Begging Naked

Pft, Bruce at least had some funny, entertaining moments before it shot itself in the foot in the final act. This wasn't much more than a biblical-leaning remake of The Santa Clause, right down to the following animals and beard escapades. It wasn't painful or anything, but completely forgettable.

**/****

Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:12 pm
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

There's some pretty genuine heart and soul in this, covered by a thin veil of shit.

C

Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:23 am
i break the rules, so i don't care

D

It was really bad.

Wanda Sykes is hilarious though. Plus, Lauren Graham is very decent.

Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:26 am
now we know

It's one of the most ludicrous comedies ever. I'd love to see what the film would be like if it weren't a comedy. I guess I'll get my chance when Russell Crowe is Noah next year. The scenes with the ark were amazing (building it), just seeing it, it was so beautiful. The film kind of doesn't work on a comedic level for me (apart from Jonah Hill who was great and the black receptionist who had a few good lines when Evan first comes in with the beard and long hair), but the end is worth the tedious build up. The scenes when he's getting used to the changes are interesting but forgettable.

The thing I don't understand is why he needed to put animals on an ark. The entire world didn't get flooded, just one small area of one city. I'm pretty sure tigers (which are from Asia) would have been safer in Asia than on that ark, so why they were on the ark is baffling. That goes for all of the animals, and surely the birds could have just flown to another part of the town and they would have been instantly safe.

I could have done without Steve Carell's over the top performance. He's no Jim Carrey and he just got annoying until he became Noah and donned the robe and staff, then he was ok. Which is why I think a serious take on this story would be great. Bruce Almighty is miles better.

C-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:32 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

I only just watched this recently and it's a lot different of a sequel than I was expecting. Not in a good way, it's a pretty weak comedy and overtly childish. There are some OK parts, Carell and Hill are pleasing in their roles and as a casual watch it's not that bad all together. Some of the animals are cute, but the CGI of the flood at the end was pretty bad too.

C

Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2