Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Rocky Balboa 

What grade would you give this film?
A 55%  55%  [ 17 ]
B 39%  39%  [ 12 ]
C 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 31

Rocky Balboa 
Extraordinary

Post Rocky Balboa
Rocky Balboa

Quote:
Rocky Balboa (also known as: Rocky VI) is the sixth and final film in the Rocky franchise, directed by and starring Sylvester Stallone. The film, which was also written by Stallone who plays underdog boxer Rocky Balboa, is the sixth film in the Rocky series that began with the Academy Award-winning Rocky thirty years earlier in 1976. The film portrays Balboa in retirement, a widower living in Philadelphia, and the owner and operator of a local Italian restaurant called "Adrian's", named after his late wife.

Rocky Balboa was produced as another sequel to the Academy Award-winning Rocky. According to Stallone, he was "negligent" in the production of Rocky V leaving him and many of the fans disappointed with the presumed end of the series. Stallone also mentioned that the storyline of Rocky Balboa parallels his own struggles and triumphs in recent times.

In addition to Stallone, the film stars Burt Young as Paulie, Rocky's brother-in-law, and real-life boxer Antonio Tarver as Mason "The Line" Dixon, the current World Heavyweight Champion in the film. Boxing promoter Lou DiBella plays himself in the movie and acts as Dixon's promoter in the film. Milo Ventimiglia plays Rocky's son Robert, now an adult. It also features the return of two minor characters from the original movie into larger roles in this film: Marie, the young woman that Rocky attempts to steer away from trouble; and Spider Rico, the first opponent that Rocky is shown fighting in the original film. The film also holds many references to people and objects from previous installments in the series, especially the first.

The film was released on December 20, 2006, by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Columbia Pictures and Revolution Studios. It exceeded box office expectations and critical reaction was positive. The film was released in several formats for its home media release, and DVD sales have exceeded $34 million.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:51 am
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

I thought ROCKY BALBOA was a little better than I initially gave it credit for which wasn't much just out of the sheer premise of there being YET, another ROCKY movie and it was to the point where you would ask yourself: Who is there left for this guy to fight without becoming stale and the same ol, same ol type of movie?? No, this movie does have alot of feeling and I think that's where Stallone was probably focusing more on was the character of ROCKY and how he's had to cope with how dramatically his life has changed, how it has changed since his wife Adrian's death and how growing older and realizing he was older was something he now had to cope with.. That part was good and did bring a tear to my eye.. The part that was stale was getting to the fight in the sense that there was so much buildup, so much hype for the fight that it ultimately fell flat and lasted probably 10 Minutes at best and the outcome was a copout, No spoilers in this review cause that would ruin it for others wishing to see this.. My thought of Mason Dixon was bland with no personality, no flashiness or flamboyance with a big mouth like the other predecessor's were in the other ROCKY movie's.. This guy was in fact, a REAL Boxer, not someone acting to be one.. I generally hated Clubber Lang in ROCKY III cause of that line he spoke to ROCKY'S wife about quote "Bringing her pretty little self over to his place and he would show her a Real Man" made me want to kill this guy, to pull his fuc*ing heart out of his chest and watch it beat and THAT'S what made it even better when ROCKY just beat his ever loving ass at the end to a chorus of cheers in the theatre back in the 80's.. Those were good times that I wish were present here.. I also felt the training sequences should've been longer as well.. Overall, this particular entry seemed more focused on the character and his coping with aging than getting even with anyone and for that, I thought it was good, but not better than ROCKY V which get's far too much heat around the net simply because it was a street fight than a match in the ring and so what?? I was more satisfied with Tommy Gunn getting his sniveling, ungreatful ass handed to him in the alley with people cheering on than ROCKY vs MASON DIXON.. Overall, I give this movie a "B"..

Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:50 am
Profile WWW
George A. Romero

it was easily the best rocky since the original. it had a flew slow spots here and there but nothing that really diminished the movie for me. there were a few scenes that genuinely got me choked up. i'm so happy for stallone. he brought this franchise back to glory and sent rocky out a big winner. what a great movie!

A-

Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:15 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I know this is certainly a case when I was so hyped that I was somewhat letdown, so I'll give a better review when I see it again, but even so, the movie is very good, entertaining and a good clonclusion.

My biggest gripe was the short length. The dramatic parts were great, the comedy was great, Stallone was great, and then it just kinda cuts to the training and the fight. the biggest problem is the runtime, the fight and the training could have easily been fleshed out a little more, they were kind of a big tease. And Duke just kind of appears in the training sequence, has that one speech, then doesnt say anything the rest of the film. As far as the fight went, it was well done and very uniquely edited. I think it could still be the weakest of the fights they had in the ring, maybe its the realisticness that did it, but I was still on the edge of my seat wondering what the outcome, cheering to myself. By the way the showing was sold out and the crowd loved it.

Rocky was back, and dare I say it, I wouldnt mind if they made a Rocky 7. I was thoroughly entertained and the film was definitely one last big hurrah that achieved almost everything it set out to and did it. Im so proud to be one of the few supporters on here since the beginning.

A- for now.

A-

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:47 am
George A. Romero

I know this is certainly a case when I was so hyped that I was somewhat letdown, so I'll give a better review when I see it again, but even so, the movie is very good, entertaining and a good clonclusion.

My biggest gripe was the short length. The dramatic parts were great, the comedy was great, Stallone was great, and then it just kinda cuts to the training and the fight. the biggest problem is the runtime, the fight and the training could have easily been fleshed out a little more, they were kind of a big tease. And Duke just kind of appears in the training sequence, has that one speech, then doesnt say anything the rest of the film. As far as the fight went, it was well done and very uniquely edited. I think it could still be the weakest of the fights they had in the ring, maybe its the realisticness that did it, but I was still on the edge of my seat wondering what the outcome, cheering to myself. By the way the showing was sold out and the crowd loved it.

Rocky was back, and dare I say it, I wouldnt mind if they made a Rocky 7. I was thoroughly entertained and the film was definitely one last big hurrah that achieved almost everything it set out to and did it. Im so proud to be one of the few supporters on here since the beginning.

A- for now.

A-

me too! i just knew all along that stallone would pull it off and prove all those rocky haters wrong! :biggrin:

Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:49 am
Mod Team Leader

This is the real deal folks. This is the best film since the second. I still think Rocky IV is my favourite and the most entertaining, but this one is almost perfect. Stallone gives an oscar worthy performance and the script should be nominated for best screenplay. I know it won't, the academy is too stuffy to do something as risque as that, but it is that good. This film makes you want to be a better man. There is a scene with Rocky and his son when Rocky tries to knock some sense into him that made me want to stand up and cheer. I truly love this film and I think anyone who is a Rocky fan, will surely enjoy it. I';ll have a full review up tomorrow, but i had to tell you that this is one of the best films of the year and i can't wait to see it again. It is too short. I would have liked to see more of the story...how did Duke come back? More training...more of teh fight. and I'll bet it's out there when the DVD comes out. This 102 minute running time is what the producers want to capitalize on the amount of showings. But the full 120 mintue version will show up on DVD. But this is great. A great film and a perfect ending to the series.

9/10

Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:05 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Rocky VI: Rocky Balboa is the "Best of Rocky" all in one short attention spanning bout.

It's the simplified Rocky -- the "Rocky for Dummies" as it were, if that isn't an oxymoron... (not that an ox-like moron isn't the foundation of this whole damn series...)

And this was good! I was into it; the sold-out opening night audience was into it -- it pretty much rocked the joint!

The only real surprise I had was that it ended. I was still playing out all sorts of story conclusions in my mind, long after the film stopped rolling. I wanna see more Rocky!

And don't think I don't gotta plan...

Quote:
Rocky VII: A straight up ROM-COM-MELODROM, subtitled Death of Rocky, where Rocky consumates his relationship with Marie, but finds himself dying of an incurable disease in the midst of one last title fight...

Rocky VIII: A ROM-COM-ZOM, subtitled Zombie Rocky, in which the corpse of Rocky is re-animated for one last championship fight, this time against Satan himself, in a last ditch effort to regain the hand of Zombie Adrian as they battle their way back out of hell...

Seriously... if they concluded the series that way, and sold it as an 8-film boxset, Rocky would go down in history as the most awesome original film character ever...

But as it stands, I can't imagine many people not liking this newest entry, Rocky Balboa -- it's a crowd pleaser that doesn't take too much heavy lifting in the brain department -- perfect for the modern movie audience, and for tonight -- perfect for me, too!

5 out of 5.

Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:20 am
Golfaholic

http://www.worldofkj.com/reviews/Meyer/ ... 001003.php

Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:13 am
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Stallone still has it him. I enjoyed alot of the sentimental moments and Paulies cranky jokes. Rocky still holds up and is a very likable character that you can sit there and listen to him babble nonsense probably for 2 hours. My main complaint is the movie should have been longer especially during the fight sequence and training montages. Thats what it was missing that they did so well on Rocky 3 and 4. I wanted them to have a kickass soundtrack but theres no Eye of the Tiger or Hearts on Fire damnit!

B+

Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:15 am
Mod Team Leader

WOW!! That is first word that comes to mind 12 hours after sitting down to watch the film. My expecttions for the film were quite high after seeing the trailer and watching Stallone look like he recaptured some old magic. And he doesn't disappoint. This is a film that is on par with the first and second as per the story and the power that Rocky still has over us. I would dare to say that this is one of the best films of the year and if the academy had any original thinkers, then they would nominate this film for best screenplay. It is engrossing, uplifting and has its heart in the right place. This is the surprise of the year and if anyone has a soft spot for Rocky, this film will thrill you. It's makes you want to be a better man. And for that I wish I could thank Stallone for creating Rocky.

The story is the strength of the film. Adrian has passed away and Rocky now lives a simple life. He runs a restaurant that bears his wife's name and he has all of his memorabilia on the walls. He even has a frequent visitor in Spider Rico, his first opponent in Rocky. Rocky makes a humble living now and he regales his customers with old boxing stories and poses for pictures with his patrons. His son doesn't seem to come around too often and is going through a bit of a rough time trying to step out of his dad's shadow. Rocky misses Adrian but he also misses the ring. Every once in a while, you can see the "beast" inside of him. And he knows it too. But at his age, he knows his best days have past him by. But then, ESPN creates a computer program pits the reigning champ again the old champ. And Balboa wins in the computer fight. Because the current champ is relatively disliked for not having any heart, his handlers conjure up an idea to get Balboa in the ring for an exhibition. The idea is to build some love for the current champ by aligning him with a beloved one. The script is the best part of the film and Stallone develops all of his characters beautifully. This film is much more reminscent of the first two than it is 3 and 4. It is also a film that makes you want to cheer. And that is a powerful thing.

Sylvester Stallone knows Rocky Balboa. He created him after all. And he knows why we like him. He is a good man, he has a sense of humour and he is tough a nails. He spirit imbues what it means to never say die. It is a spirit than all of can relate to and succumb to. This is a character who had it all, lost it all and still has a bit more to give. This isn't about winning, or even about losing, it's about "how hard you get hit and yet still keep coming." How can you not be inspired by words like that? Rocky Balboa is a movie that is not just a movie, it's about life. After the disappointing fifth film, it took a lot of guts to write another one and try to get the financing for it. Nice to see Irwin Winkler taking another chance on this one and it is going to pay off handsomely. I think World Wide this could do more than 150 million and it is already resonating with those that have seen it.

This has the feel of the originals. It has Philly in the raw, Paulie is just as good as he ever was and there is even a nice subplot about an old neighbourhood girl, Little Marie, that Rocky helps out.

The film loses half a point as the training sequences could have been longer and the fight could have been choreographed a bit better. I think there is a 2 hour version of the film out there that we'll see on DVD, but for the sake of maximizing the amount of showings, it has been trimmed down to 102 minutes. This doesn't take away from the power of the film however. It just keeps it from being perfect.

9.5/10

Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:06 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

I had just seen Rocky I - IV before watching this (we agreed Rocky V isn't a worthy entry), so I got to say, while it was certainly in the league of I and II, it was easier to see that it wasn't as entertaining. And while I can completely understand that they had to tone down the fight, the HBO style thing really didn't do it for me. It's one of the best scripts of the series, and is much classier then III - V, but probably one of the least satisfying films for me. Don't get me wrong, it's a damn good way to end the series, but much better then all but the first? Not for me at least. B

Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:20 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I had just seen Rocky I - IV before watching this (we agreed Rocky V isn't a worthy entry), so I got to say, while it was certainly in the league of I and II, it was easier to see that it wasn't as entertaining. And while I can completely understand that they had to tone down the fight, the HBO style thing really didn't do it for me. It's one of the best scripts of the series, and is much classier then III - V, but probably one of the least satisfying films for me. Don't get me wrong, it's a damn good way to end the series, but much better then all but the first? Not for me at least. B

I agree, considering that the rocky of the 80s was about the fight and the montage, I'd say even two had a better training montage. He really doesnt even train before he starts training, other than the pullups in the beginning. Its just kind of like, you'd think Rocky would need to do the most training in this one because he's older and most likely not in even half as good as shape. I mean, Survivor even had a new song that would have been perfect for the new film, which I think it was made for. I'd say the biggest problems was that the training was blips because it was trying to fit in with the Gonna Fly now, they could have easily gone a little longer, or at least show him working out. I mean, there was this great shot of Stallone just sitting in the work out room, with a big bucket of water and ice, and he was just dipping his hands. Anyone that knows a thing about training should know Rocky would have had the toughest training of his life, and they just kind of breezed through. Thats my biggest gripe with a nearly perfect Rocky film. That and the fact that it kinda has less closure than the 5th film even did. its a very touching ending.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:52 pm
Commander and Chef

that speech alone deserves an oscar nomination

A+ ... best film of the year.

Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:38 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

that speech alone deserves an oscar nomination

A+ ... best film of the year.

Wow. The movie must be really good. I will catch it on Saturday.

Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:37 pm
Profile WWW

MovieDude wrote:

I agree, considering that the rocky of the 80s was about the fight and the montage, I'd say even two had a better training montage. He really doesnt even train before he starts training, other than the pullups in the beginning. Its just kind of like, you'd think Rocky would need to do the most training in this one because he's older and most likely not in even half as good as shape. I mean, Survivor even had a new song that would have been perfect for the new film, which I think it was made for. I'd say the biggest problems was that the training was blips because it was trying to fit in with the Gonna Fly now, they could have easily gone a little longer, or at least show him working out. I mean, there was this great shot of Stallone just sitting in the work out room, with a big bucket of water and ice, and he was just dipping his hands. Anyone that knows a thing about training should know Rocky would have had the toughest training of his life, and they just kind of breezed through. Thats my biggest gripe with a nearly perfect Rocky film. That and the fact that it kinda has less closure than the 5th film even did. its a very touching ending.

It was a touching ending, but I still feel they should've had ROCKY win his 1 last fight instead of leaving before the results were announced and making you think on who really won, which seemed more like a copout to me.. This movie succeeded on being a heavy handed emotional punch to the heart more than it's predecessor's and Antonio Tarver just didn't have the flashiness I would've preferred for Balboa's opponent.. Part of thing I loved about ROCKY III was that I hated, I despised Mr.T and couldn't wait for ROCKY to hand him his ass at the end that looked very reminiscent as to how Evander Holyfield beat Mike Tyson's ass in their 1st encounter.. Either way, I give this a "B" which was a fair grade, but probably won't watch it again on DVD..

Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:05 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

It was a touching ending, but I still feel they should've had ROCKY win his 1 last fight instead of leaving before the results were announced and making you think on who really won, which seemed more like a copout to me..

That isn't what happened on the print of the movie I saw -- it was clear who won...

Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:37 am

CASINO_BKB wrote:
It was a touching ending, but I still feel they should've had ROCKY win his 1 last fight instead of leaving before the results were announced and making you think on who really won, which seemed more like a copout to me..

That isn't what happened on the print of the movie I saw -- it was clear who won...

It was a win, but a very anticlimatic win when compared to the other opponents he's fought in the past movies and wasn't long enough...

Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:27 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

bradley witherberry wrote:
CASINO_BKB wrote:

It was a win, but a very anticlimatic win when compared to the other opponents he's fought in the past movies and wasn't long enough...

Yes, I know it was a win -- but the question is: Why would you say, "instead of leaving before the results were announced and making you think on who really won"?

Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:58 am
Commander and Chef

as usual, bkb didn't see the film. the results were clearly announced before he left and it was clearly mentioned who won and both the opponents clearly heard who won.

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:09 am
Profile WWW

as usual, bkb didn't see the film. the results were clearly announced before he left and it was clearly mentioned who won and both the opponents clearly heard who won.

His win was anti-climatic and not near as good a win as it was made out to be.. And yeah, I did see the movie but as always and just like with Casino Royale, I'll be scrutinized if I have any criticism of it unless Dolcevita says something negative about it, then everyone clams up.. Spare me..

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:24 am
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

bABA wrote:

His win was anti-climatic and not near as good a win as it was made out to be.. And yeah, I did see the movie but as always and just like with Casino Royale, I'll be scrutinized if I have any criticism of it unless Dolcevita says something negative about it, then everyone clams up.. Spare me..

rocky winning was not anti climatic from anywhere. they built it up that dixon would win even all the way upto the last round. walking out, you could never know who would win.

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:28 am
Profile WWW

CASINO_BKB wrote:
bABA wrote:

rocky winning was not anti climatic from anywhere. they built it up that dixon would win even all the way upto the last round. walking out, you could never know who would win.

And because of that, it was anti-climatic.. What's your problem??? If a reputable critic or even someone else would've said that, would you be having a problem with that?? There was much this movie could've definitely improved upon: Longer training sequences, a better opponent for Balboa to fight, one with an actual personality and the ending.. This movie is good to the extent of being a punch to the heart and tugging at the heartstrings with the sad music playing at times to shed a tear or 2 and that's where it wins and what it accomplshes.. If you took all that away, this movie would've sucked compared to ROCKY V..

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:45 am
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

someone else can point it out.

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:55 am
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

Ok, wait a second, you are kidding right BKB? Rocky didn't win the fight. That wasn't what his bout was all about. It was just going to distance. He lost a split decision.

Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:12 am
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

Ok, wait a second, you are kidding right BKB? Rocky didn't win the fight. That wasn't what his bout was all about. It was just going to distance. He lost a split decision.

Like I said, I caught him in the lie.

Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:18 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next