Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events 

What grade would you give this film?
A 36%  36%  [ 5 ]
B 43%  43%  [ 6 ]
C 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 14

College Boy Z

Post Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

Quote:
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events is a 2004 film directed by Brad Silberling. It is an adaptation of the The Bad Beginning, The Reptile Room, and The Wide Window, being the first three books in A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. The film stars Jim Carrey, Liam Aiken, Emily Browning, Timothy Spall, Billy Connolly, and Meryl Streep, with narration by Jude Law and cameos by Catherine O'Hara and Dustin Hoffman. The film tells the story of three orphans who are adopted by a mysterious theater troupe actor named Count Olaf as he attempts to steal their late parents' fortune.

Nickelodeon Movies purchased the film rights to Daniel Handler's book series in May 2000 and soon began development of a film. Barry Sonnenfeld signed on to direct in June 2002. He hired Handler to adapt the screenplay and courted Jim Carrey for Count Olaf. Sonnenfeld eventually left over budget concerns in January 2003 and Brad Silberling took over. Robert Gordon rewrote Handler's script, and principal photography started in November 2003. A Series of Unfortunate Events was entirely shot using sound stages and backlots at Paramount Pictures and Downey Studios. The film received generally favorable reviews from critics, grossed approximately $209 million worldwide, and won the Academy Award for Best Makeup.

Last edited by zingy on Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:17 pm
Affiliate

Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:13 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Damn. You didn't like it? I couldn't find a review on your site, do you have full reviews of it? I was so looking forward to this one.

Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:11 pm
Affiliate

I would recommend anything 6/10 or higher.

Sorry, I dont write reviews, but if enough people want me to, then I will. It's a time issue mainly.

Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:51 pm
Profile WWW
Site Owner

http://www.worldofkj.com/KJ-LemonySnicket.php

KJ

Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:23 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Being a fan of the books, I was quite surprised with how much I liked it. The tone is perfectly done, the sets and look of the film is amazing and the cast is great. Jim Carrey, who I would have never imagined to play Count Olaf is actually great. The child actors playing the Baudelaire children are all quite good. Emily Browning and Liam Aiken are both good (though the whole "Klaus not wearing glasses for the large portion of the movie" bugged me). The twins playing Sunny were perfect, though they'll probaly get replaced in the sequels. The rest of the supporting cast (especially Merryl Streep) is good as well. Overall, it's a great adaptation of the first 3 books and I'm really glad I enjoyed it. - A-

Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:09 am
La Bella Vito

Lemony Snickets: A Series Of Unfortunate Events: A-

This was such a great movie! It has everything. Great story, great characters, great visuals, and a good ending. I cannot believe how much I enjoyed this film. Jim Carrey was sensational, and Meryl Streep was amazing in her role. I was very impressed by the child actors in this. It's not very common that child actors can be convincing in their roles, but they were quite good. Emily Browing was very good, and she's such a talented young actress. Liam Aiken is also very good. The baby that plays Sunny is so cute, funny, and very talented as an infant actor. The unfortunate events like the car on the train track, the leeches, and the house that falls apart are all executed very well. I really liked the ending too. I really hope that they make a sequel to this. I'm crossing my fingers. And I'm going to read the books. I've heard they are a lot darker than this movie though, and a lot of fans are outraged by this films adaption of the books. It can only get better from this point. I hope they make a few more seeing that there are 11 books in the series. Let's just hope this is successful at the box office, and it can greenlight at least one more.

Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:51 am
Profile YIM WWW
Teh Mexican

what a great entertaining movie!, i really enjoyed it!, Jim Carey and the kids were great!
im surprised on how good it is!

B+

Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:56 am
Kiera Knightly is my lady!

The movie was not what I was expecting, I was expecting a lighter film. It still was good, and Violet in it was excellent, and Carrey was funny. I just think it was to dark.
7/10

Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:01 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Really loved this movie. Awesome visuals. The Kids and Carrey were great. A-

Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:21 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

The movie was not what I was expecting, I was expecting a lighter film. It still was good, and Violet in it was excellent, and Carrey was funny. I just think it was to dark.
7/10

Oh yeah, A Series Of Unfortunate Events that sounds cheerful... :roll: ... :razz:

Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:20 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

it was a good movie, i enjoy the movie very much. maybe because Emily Browning or what, i don't know. but i do enjoy every minutes seeing her on the big screen. Emily Browning performances was good and sensational IMO. she could be a great actress in years to come. Liam Aiken was good too. the movie had adventure, drama, comedy. it all fits into this movie. Jim Carrey character was similar like The Grinch. anyway i had to give Two thumbs Up for the remarkable make up and the nice visual. i grade this A

Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:34 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Teenage Dream

Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:47 pm
College Boy Z

I've never read the book, but yeah, I enjoyed the movie. Emily Browning did great. B-

Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:05 pm
Killing With Kindness

A-

Great film, all the actors were great, I was quite suprised by how good the film turned out ot be :cool:

Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:09 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

Great film great story!

Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:28 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Where will you be?

Well a lot of things in the movie were about the least subtle I've ever seen (I figured out the "twist" with the tower and eye by the 5 minute mark, and Streep's character...), but it was gorgous visually and it's heart was definitely in the right place. Not to mention Carrey really had some absolutely hillarious moments, though many of these were ones that he pretty clearly improved. It's surprisingly solid overall though, with some great performances though the tone might freak out a lot of kids under 10-12. B+

Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:08 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

One of the year's best films.

Mon May 02, 2005 10:59 pm
Profile YIM
I just lost the game

Awesome film. Visually stunning. Great performances. The score was pretty good but unfortunately forgetable. Cool story and a great theme at the end. A-

Mon May 30, 2005 9:34 pm
Indiana Jones IV

It was just average for me I give it a C+

Mon May 30, 2005 10:10 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

My kids begged me to watch this because they loved it so much but I wasn't impressed. Jim Carrey presents an interesting problem in this. He's funny as usual but this time I felt his performance distracted from the flow of the story and the performances of the other actors. It was a real distraction. The visuals were great and so were the children, but the movie felt like Burton lite. My grade: C+.

Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:38 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

A mixed bag to me. I haven't read the books, so I can't tell you how good the adaptation was. However, I can tell you how good the movie for itself was. Jim Carrey pretty much made the entire movie to me. He was at the top of his game, once again. His role resembles the one he had in The Grinch, but still great on its own. The kids were pretty good too, but none of them really stood out in my opinion. This movie must have been the darkest family flick I have ever seen to date. The whole mood is rather depressing and gloomy. As Moviedude has already said, the ending is entirely predictable. The isuals in this movie are pretty much the best I have seen last year, especially the production desing, but I found the plot to be a bit lacking.

Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:43 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

I really didn't like this turgid lump of coal. Nothing worked.

Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:05 am
Extraordinary

The only good thing about the film were the great set designs,other than that it was shit.

D

Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:43 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

Jim Carry is one of my favorite actors, and he didnt let me down in this film, I loved it. The acting was spot on, but the film felt alittle drown out, aleast It never got boring :happy:

A-

Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next