Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events 

What grade would you give this film?
A 36%  36%  [ 5 ]
B 43%  43%  [ 6 ]
C 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 14

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events 
Devil's Advocate

Huge pile of crap. As a fan of the books, I was completley disappointed and friggin angry with what they did with this. I have to say, it's pretty much the worst and most painfully unfaithful adapting job that I've ever seen in a movie.

Count Olaf? Instead of portraying him an evil and terrifying individual, lets go for Jim Carrey goofy slapstick. Klaus? Well in the books he's a short nerdy kid with glasses, but screw that! I think we should cast that nearly 6 foot tall guy from Good Boy, hell lets make him bigger than Violet. The wedding scheme at the end of the first book? We'll replace that with a train escaping sequence, and place the wedding sequence after the 3rd book, except instead of the signing with the wrong hand technicality that got them out of that the novel, let's make them burn the signature with the redirected suns light. Hey why stop there, why don't we reveal that the suns light redirected is how their original house burned down, completley fucking with the overall storyline and mystery of the entire 13 book series, that'd be great! My ass could adapt these books better.

By the way cory, you really think the tone was the same? I don't think it was close. They made this ridiculously light and fantasy, to match Carrey and the slapstick. The books while based at a young audience are much darker, the comedy is set in that unfortunate tone. Not to mention it's set in regular Britain I believe, nowhere near the fantasy Potter world that this movie trys to fit in.

I hope in the future that these are given another adaption attempt, because I think there could be potential. Just not this.

Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:06 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Post Re: Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
Fantastic movie. Amazing visual style, great performances and witty humor. A breath or fresh air in the fantasy genre.

A-

Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:37 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

It REALLY sucks no plans for any sequels have been talked about (too late now dammit!). It's in my Top 100, and I love it.

A

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:52 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

If there's ever a movie Tim Burton wished he made, I bet it's Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. From the light gothic production to the dark theme of trying to off children to gain inheritance to all the pale faces and a star performance by Jim Carrey, it's right up his alley. But it wasn't Burton, and it's wonderful nonetheless. Perhaps it even excels beyond what a Burtonesque version would bring to the party (probably Johnny Depp as Count Olaf and Bonham-Carter as Anwhistle). Carrey is something else. It doesn't matter what role he's playing, whether it's Ace Ventura, The Riddler, Stanley Ipkiss, The Grinch, or Dr. Robotnik, he always gives his all and creates a unique character experience. Count Olaf is another one to add to his large roster.

I'm really pleased to finally plug the hole in my movie viewing history. This was always a big movie and a large role of Carrey's I hadn't yet seen. It's also got a superb cast. I was surprised to see Meryl Streep pop up. The same for Billy Connolly and, strangely, Dustin Hoffman. The film is genuinely creepy in that young adult way, too. The sets and score are creaky and artful. It's a top-notch film.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:12 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2