Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Idiocracy 

What grade would you give this film?
A 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
B 38%  38%  [ 11 ]
C 24%  24%  [ 7 ]
D 31%  31%  [ 9 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 29

Idiocracy 
Indiana Jones IV

This movie was great. It is definitely a B movie but it is fun and some of the satire is understated. The narrator telling you what is going on even though you can see what is happening on the screen is a great example of how movies like 300 do the exact same thing. I have to say the Humor gets tiring after a while and some scenes dragged on and the narrator misses the mark a few times it was a great commentary on intelligence and consumerism.

Idiots just do stuff without meaning and smart people overthink stuff..I think many people overlook at how much this movie pokes at smart people. From the start it mocks an overtly complicated birthing procedure considered by smart people. It mocks their lack of life where the idiots just do stuff but the world falls apart. Smart people focused on the wrong issues and Dum people just let the smart people handle the issues. What is left in the end is a world where the remenants of the smarter people fall apart in dissarray. All the technology is their and it is all push button so any idiot could use it without even knowing what it is.

This movie does seem rushed and definitely could of used some tweaking before it was released. However my guess is that FOX studios wasn't happy with the content of the film and probably cut the budget so the movie couldn't quite get finished fully. I read that FOX sat on the movie for a year before release and than released it for contractual responsibility which si a shame.

Office space did not test well but it didn't require the budget this did.

B one of the best of 2006

Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:24 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

This movie was great. It is definitely a B movie but it is fun and some of the satire is understated. The narrator telling you what is going on even though you can see what is happening on the screen is a great example of how movies like 300 do the exact same thing. I have to say the Humor gets tiring after a while and some scenes dragged on and the narrator misses the mark a few times it was a great commentary on intelligence and consumerism.

Idiots just do stuff without meaning and smart people overthink stuff..I think many people overlook at how much this movie pokes at smart people. From the start it mocks an overtly complicated birthing procedure considered by smart people. It mocks their lack of life where the idiots just do stuff but the world falls apart. Smart people focused on the wrong issues and Dum people just let the smart people handle the issues. What is left in the end is a world where the remenants of the smarter people fall apart in dissarray. All the technology is their and it is all push button so any idiot could use it without even knowing what it is.

This movie does seem rushed and definitely could of used some tweaking before it was released. However my guess is that FOX studios wasn't happy with the content of the film and probably cut the budget so the movie couldn't quite get finished fully. I read that FOX sat on the movie for a year before release and than released it for contractual responsibility which si a shame.

Wow -- yer smart! Do you like money?

Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:59 pm
Indiana Jones IV

redspear wrote:

Wow -- yer smart! Do you like money?

I like money! We should hang out sometime.

Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:15 am
Profile WWW
Undisputed WoKJ DVD King

The movie had a very interesting concept, and made some interesting statements about society and its direction. However, the execution was far from perfect. At times I felt the movie became what it was rallying against, and playing to an audience that it was at the same time kicking in the balls.

Also, I wasn't looking for realism, but there were a ton of major inconsistencies... such as most people in the future can't put a square peg in a square hole, however there was a lot of sophisticated machinery around (like the elaborate monster trucks and sophisticated computer systems). Who built these, and who maintains them if everybody is so stupid?

I'd say it was worth watching for the basic concept, but it was no Office Space. C+

Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:28 pm
Star Trek XI

Post Re: Idiocracy
The concept and the first 10 or 20 minutes are the only thing this movie has going for it. Awful. I was expecting much better.

Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:10 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I really liked the whole concept of this film and Luke Wilson is definitely a fitting protagonist for a movie like this, but it just.....din't really work as it was supposed to. I mean, there were some interesting ideas there and I laughed out lud for a couple of times too, but it really could have been a bit more daring. It had all the goods for a really solid satire, but Mike Judge failed to deliver, so Idiocracy just ends up as a decent, dumb comedy that tries to be more, but fails. Now it could have been more, but the cut of the film we've been presented has obviously been chopped up by editors to no end and the version we were left with is just not sharp, witty and well-written enough. It's absurd, but seemingly for the sake of just being absurd. Some of this works (#1 movie "Ass" or the President Camacho), some simply doesn't (Starbucks, Dax Shepard's character). So, yeah, this was basically a letdown.

Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:18 am
Profile WWW
Squee

I didn't like it. The narration especially annoyed me.

*1/2

:glare:

Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:18 pm
He didn't look busy?!

could have and should have been handled a lot better, but it's got a great story, a fun look at the future, and some truly hilarious scenes. Not close to a classica a la Office Space, but definitely a solid flick from Judge.

B+

Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:52 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Great concept, executed pretty terribly. Luke Wilson as sad as it is is just not a strong lead. He's great in supporting work or if there is another lead with him, but on his own, he often falls flat. If you want a good film that satirizes the culture even more. Check out the late John Ritter film, Stay Tuned.

Overall, it certainly was dumped and because of that, this ambitious film never had a chance. C

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:48 am
The Wall

3/10 -> D

Ummm - this is Planet of the Apes 0.5 done in a really awful way. Fun at first but gets tiresome quickly. Even the short running time doesn't help. Luke Wilson and that prostitue chick are likeable.

Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:54 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

IDIOCRACY

Grade - B

I bought this just a couple days ago from bbuster. 4/20 on sale. I really enjoyed this movie. I thought it was pretty funny juvenile humor with the backdrop of a warning about the future albeit a extremely skewed one. It had many elements of what could and is probably coming, depressingly so. I thought Luke wilson was perfect and maya rudolph was hilarious.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:17 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Fuck, I hated this. Direct-to-Video was too kind a fate. Direct-to-landfill would have sufficed.

What bothered me most wasn't the ugly visuals or the awful editing or how painfully unfunny it is or anything like that. No, I reject Mike Judge and this movie because of the intolerable condescension pouring from every frame (morons with their fast food and lowbrow movies and their big department stores). And his impossibly irritating moral guardian-ish idea that an increase in the use of so-called "profanity" is directly correlated with the devolution of society and language is, appropriately, bullshit. Fuck is a perfectly fine word, Mike Judge. Go back to the rest home now.

In other words, fuck this shit.

Fri May 29, 2009 7:44 pm

Ummm, this is the film where luke wilson gets frozen for like 600 something years and wakes up to find an idiotic world right? i was confused because even reasonable people like Lect where giving it semi-positive grades and that makes no sense to me.
I would go on a rant about how truthfully terrible this film is but yosh just said most of what I think. I will continue it by saying that I don't think this film made everyone stupid as a form of biting satire, but rather because the writers were not capable of coming up with any form of real satire, or any way to assert there ideas with intelligence or authority and had to resort to making the entire world stupid. Honestly I believe the writers must have been almost as stupid as the people they are depicting to have writen this movie.
To add a large majority of the film is painfully unfunny, and at no point is it nice to look at or listen to or in anyway a decent film. Overall, it is just bad all over.
I refrain myself from dolling out one of my incredibly rare 0/5 simply because I did chuckle several times, and give the film props for at least ATTEMPTING to satire america/the world, even if they failed miserably.

1/5.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Fri May 29, 2009 8:02 pm
Extraordinary

As time goes by, I see Idiocracy less as a satirical comedy, and more and more as a docudrama...

:tears:

Sat May 30, 2009 1:11 am
Extraordinary

Post Re:
roo wrote:
I wouldn't really consider it subversive really.

Really?

Sun May 29, 2011 11:06 am
Extraordinary

The Best Movie You Never Saw

Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:49 am
Cream of the Crop

I saw it.

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:43 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

It's quite decent, but also not that good and funny. It works as a satire and there are funny gags, Luke Wilson is well cast too, it's just that the sum of it doesn't come together that well.

C+

Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2