Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Mission: Impossible 

What grade would you give this film?
A 54%  54%  [ 15 ]
B 36%  36%  [ 10 ]
C 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 28

College Boy Z

Post Mission: Impossible

Quote:
Mission: Impossible is a 1996 action thriller directed by Brian De Palma and starring Tom Cruise. Following on from the television series of the same name, the plot follows a new agent, Ethan Hunt and his mission to uncover the mole within the CIA who has framed him for the murders of his entire IMF team. Work on the script had begun early with filmmaker Sydney Pollack on board, before De Palma, Steven Zaillian, David Koepp, and Robert Towne were brought in. In fact, the film went into pre-production without a shooting script. De Palma came up with some action sequences, but neither Koepp nor Towne were satisfied with the story that leads up to these events.

U2 band members Larry Mullen, Jr. and Adam Clayton produced their own version of the original theme song. The song went into top ten charts around the world and was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Pop Instrumental Performance. The movie was the third highest grossing of the year and was followed by two sequels, Mission: Impossible II (2000) and Mission: Impossible III (2006), with a fourth installment, Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol, due in 2011.

I watched it tonight after, like, six or seven years and I remember why I loved it so much as a kid. Although now, I kinda understand it better than when I was 10.

Seriously, though, friggin' excellent.

A+

Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:10 am
Veteran

Complex storyline with awesome action scenes.

A

Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:13 am
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

A-

freekin awesome film, way better than the shitfest that was MI2 :disgust:

Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:40 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:10 am
Profile WWW
I'm Batman

Watched it last weekend for the first time. Not great, a bit too complex (over the top twists), but great performances pretty much all around. It's a good summer blockbuster with some great scenes.

-B+

Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:17 pm
Forum General

Fri May 05, 2006 12:29 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Awesome movie. Great action scenes and a killer plot. Cruise is pretty good in this, actually. Made the sequel even more disappointing. But this one is a classic.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Last edited by trixster on Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri May 05, 2006 1:52 am
Romosexual!

the langly & train sequence alone get an A. :D

part 3 best it to take the #1 spot in franchise.

Fri May 05, 2006 2:09 am
Homo Dperious

Really good, with some great style. Certainly better then the sequels.

7.5/10 - A-

Fri May 05, 2006 6:28 am
Profile ICQ
The Greatest Avenger EVER

I gave this movie a "B".. Initially, I had to watch this 2 times for the confusing plot which went over my head and I think alot of others as well when this was released, but the thing of it was, is that I grew up watching the TV Show MISSION IMPOSSIBLE and despite having a confusing plotline, I thought it did a Brilliant job of keeping that Cold War Feel and the overall feeling of the TV Show..

Fri May 05, 2006 10:55 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Guess I'm the only one who doesn't really like this film. Most of the action scenes are well done, sure. But the plot, oh my. They basically make it as unhumanly complex and confusing as possible, not for the storyline's sake, but just for the sake of being those things to fake an aura of intelligence. At many points, it just lost my interest. And they take all this time setting this storyline up, they don't back up on a lot of the details of it.

An example of this would be when Cruise is typing away at his computers emailing to all the Max @ Job websites, it does a montage of his words being typed on the screen. It shows him typing it first in english, then in some foreign russion language or something at the same speed. On his American keyboard, he would not be able to type in the accents in the words like that, and if he used the punch-codes the typing would be considerably slower. It's a hole.

Another would be involving the famous security room. Ok, so it's basically the most protected room on the planet, which they go into great detail about. There's all the touch/sound/temp sensors, plus the retina scans, etc., but after all this uber-security, they don't actually have ANY camera feed in there? No security company like this would be so naive. It doesn't make sense.

And oh yeah, the prosthetic masks are absolutely retarded. Absolutely retarded. I laughed when they were used, it made all the situations incredibly hard to believe.

Overall, there's also an feeling of non-quality about the movie. Like it's obvious from the beginning that this is a tv show adaptation, it's sleazy. When you look at how professional and highly advanced a movie like The Usual Suspects is produced and directed, this one doesn't come close. It just feels crappy.

Sun May 07, 2006 2:18 am
You must have big rats

I am also one of those who had to see it more than once to "get it" all. It is a very good thriller, but you see, I am an actioners guy, so I prefer the two sequels by far. This film is a tight thriller, however the twists and turns are not really unexpected. Cruise is great in the role and the Langley theft is one of the most suspenseful scenes ever put on screen. The TGV sequence rocks, but of course it also reeks of the lack of plausibility. Good flick, though.

Sat May 13, 2006 10:24 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Not good, but it's much better than the sequel.

Sat May 13, 2006 2:47 pm
Waitress in LA

Still the best of series, though not great... it's still very good and very entertaining. B+

Sat May 13, 2006 2:50 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Finally saw it for the first time. Incredible! I really, really enjoyed it.

Grade: A

Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:45 pm
Extraordinary

Guess I'm the only one who doesn't really like this film.

No, I also didn't like this one. Beyond the pointlessly complex story issues you cited, my primary complaint with the movie, is that it's not a "Mission: Impossible" movie. The story structure for the original TV show was it's key strength - receive mission, assemble team, plan mission, execute mission with various improvisations to accomodate problems, extract team in final scene. This movie turned that golden plum into a stock spy vs. spy thriller - which may have been okay as a freestanding movie, but why mess with the classic M:I formula? This is easily the worst of the movies.

The second movie was the only one in the movie series so far that got the formula right. Yay Woo!

2 out of 5.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:49 pm
You must have big rats

Shack wrote:
Guess I'm the only one who doesn't really like this film.

No, I also didn't like this one. Beyond the pointlessly complex story issues you cited, my primary complaint with the movie, is that it's not a "Mission: Impossible" movie. The story structure for the original TV show was it's key strength - receive mission, assemble team, plan mission, execute mission with various improvisations to accomodate problems, extract team in final scene. This movie turned that golden plum into a stock spy vs. spy thriller - which may have been okay as a freestanding movie, but why mess with the classic M:I formula? This is easily the worst of the movies.

The second movie was the only one in the movie series so far that got the formula right. Yay Woo!

2 out of 5.

So, you'd like it better if it had a different title?

Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:12 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Yes, perhaps if they dropped the title and the rest of the trappings of the M:I pedigree, it might have turned out to be an alright stand-alone movie...

Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:18 pm
All Star Poster

its not much better than the second, the third owns

B+

Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:27 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Dr. Lecter wrote:

Yes, perhaps if they dropped the title and the rest of the trappings of the M:I pedigree, it might have turned out to be an alright stand-alone movie...

Um, then it wouldn't of been MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE cause that's what the TV Series was like.. :-k

Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:20 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Mission: Impossible
Watched it again recently.

The only big problem I have with it is the ending. It's so loud and flashy that it takes away from the delicately constructed story that came before it. I mean, a helicopter in the chunnel? Are you kidding me?

The rest of the film is aces though. Brilliantly plotted, expertly paced, great performances, and of course that de Palma touch to give it an edge of weirdness to distance it from other films of the ilk. One of my favourites.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:29 am
He didn't look busy?!

I really thought this became a franchise because of Cruise's popularity, but upon seeing it, I can see why it became a hit. It starts out seemingly conventional, but it turns into such a smart flick. Definitely one of the best action movies of the '90s. Didn't need that helicopter ending, though.

B+

Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:54 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I thought the helicopter showdown was kick-ass.

Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:21 pm
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

There wasn't much action apart from the finale, which bothered me a bit. The story was ok, so was the acting. Overall just a decent thriller. The third film is MUCH better.

B

Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:25 pm
now we know

Hmm, I remembered it differently. It's more of an espionage thriller than the rest of the franchise. It's very good, and very well executed. It probably needed more action, though. But Emmanuelle Beart is fucking stunning. These films are sort of the like the modern day Bond movies; hot chicks, cool action, clear villain, clear hero, gadgets, and cool vehicles. All of the sequels are probably better than this one, though.

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:27 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next