Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Fast & Furious 6 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
B 60%  60%  [ 12 ]
C 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
D 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 20

Fast & Furious 6 
You must have big rats

Post Re: Fast & Furious 6
I wonder whether they will go from there, though. Obviously Universal will want the franchise to go on forever, but it feels like the next film is a natural conclusion. They should kill off at least one more main character.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:29 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Furious 6 is more of the same ludicrous and illogical balls-to-the-wall, non-stop action as in Fast Five, but this time the team push the cheese and lack of realism to a whole other level.

There are so many flaws in this movie that I really have to consider the mental whereabouts of Justin Lin and the production crew. I want to like this movie and this franchise, but the inane circumstances in these movies that are so readily accepted by other cinemagoers are like a huge alarm for me. So, the movie pretty much contains action for its entire running time, and while this normally would not be an issue, it did get tiresome, even if the action was being topped with each scene. There were a few good shots (most notably when The Rock holds up the big fat square-headed guy and then Diesel flies a right hook into his head), but mostly the film was made up of one convenient plot point after another - seriously, the screenwriter for this movie is absolute shit.

I fail to see why a group of hired-hands would come together and give a shit about some girl that Vin Diesel used to know. It makes no sense, especially for the hot thin girl that dies because she didn't ever know Michelle Rodriguez's character. This whole "it's a family" bullshit just doesn't wash with me - these are urbanites, when you are a millionaire (and an Internationally wanted criminal), you don't so easily lend your services, and you especially do not (and cannot) get access to any country you desire (especially the UK, which is an ally of the US, and would have handed Toretto's team back to the US immediately). This is the sort of illogical shit that I just cannot accept. I mean, Paul Walker goes back to the US and is greeted by one FBI guy, and then is admitted to prison, which he gets some information, and then he's back in the UK -- this is all within about 36 hours, this is fucking crazy!!! It's impossible, and makes no sense. All the time this happens, we only see one law enforcement officer and it's the guy that is helping to get him in anyway!

I'm not going to mention the stunts (the law of physics-defying stunts) as they were pretty much laughable, but I will say that the ending is one of the worst ideas ever created. The whole Toretto's-sister-is-hostage-so-The-Rock-puts-his-career-on-the-line-and-lets-go-an-international-terrorist-in-order-to-save-her twist was shockingly awful, and incredibly cringeworthy - just like the ending where Diesel comes out of the flames unharmed. Which brings me to the part where Paul Walker and his two black friends were flipped in their cars early on, also 100% unharmed. Fucking ridiculous.

The Tyrese Gibson comedy was also shit. I really hate that twat. Jason Statham part was cool, and the only reason this movie doesn't get an "F".

D

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:36 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Anonymous wrote:
This is a blast from start to finish. But I will say that to enjoy this you have to like the stars in the movie and like their respective careers. If you do not, then you're just going to get overly critical about a movie that is pure entertainment.

I loved the movie. It was really great. I watched it in China (opening day, first showing), so I felt, like I did with the first, that a lot of the bloody scenes were cut. It just cut at weird times when I thought something great was going to come. That ruined it slightly for me. What made up for it was the great dialogue and surprisingly interesting scenes of talking/relaxing, which I really wanted because the first movie seemed to move at such a pace. Stallone and Norris are talking on the bonnet of the car, that was nice.

I was sad to not see Novak Djokovic at all after hearing about him having a cameo! Where was he?

Dolph was underused. I will see it again, and again, and again, but to my recollection he wasn't in the final action sequence at all in the airport. I don't remember him firing a single shot there. He should have been more of a ruthless maniac expendable, rather than the comic relief, because quite frankly his acting isn't good enough to do that. I loved the "I could die for some Chinese" and "She's into me" lines. Great stuff. There were lots of jokes in the film, and I also really enjoyed the subplots, like Statham's fiancee and Hemsworth's girl in Paris. Next time I'd like to see more of Stallone and Dolph's personal life; there must be something.

There's so much to talk about with this film that I feel I cannot cover it all now. Randy Couture and Terry Crews were basically second-strong characters that didn't get much screen time. Crews got a little bit more due to his gun and his 'guns', but is reduced to a joke pretty throughout.

The sentimental stuff, like rescuing the Albanian miners, was fine with me. As a lifelong Stallone fan, I know that Sly likes to write this sort of stuff into the script, so I'm used to it, and I liked it. What is wrong with trying to humanize these characters? You can still enjoy the action if that's what you've come for.

Van Damme was a gem as Jean Vilain. I loved his over-the-top [what seemed like] ad-libbing, but in my opinion it should have been more OTT, would've been even better. He needed to be more of a threat too and given more screen time.

When Arnie, Willis and Sly are all shooting in the airport, the camera is not positioned very well at all, and I think that should have been done better. Arnie and Willis are there, but they don't do much apart from shooting, and it felt like we were being given a treat, rather than them being part of the plot.

What surprised me was how most of the shots in the trailer happened in the opening scene. The film offered many more scenes and circumstances than I thought it would, and I absolutely loved how badass Van Damme was - he wanted everyone to be killed, and they didn't try to water him down at all.

I think in he next one Statham really has got to take of his black garb. Go fight in T-shirt and jeans for a scene or two. Mix it up. Sly seemed to change clothing a lot.

Hopefully Li is in the threequel because when he fights there is such an authenticity about it that the others, even couture, cannot match. I love to watch Li. Even in the first one he is sidetracked with care for his family, so it was no surprise to me that he left so early and never came back. I just wish Dolph had more to say. Norris' cameo was fantastic. The music that plays when he came on was great. I thought that Van Damme may have died in a more spectacular way, but Adkins sure did.

Overall, there were a few problems, but nothing major, and this movie really kicked ass. I didn't enjoy it as much as the first because of the high tempo of [and my heightened excitement to see] the first, but I still enjoyed it no end. It has a different pace to this one, but they kept the music the same, thank God for that.

A

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:00 am
now we know

Aw, that's cute.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:26 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Upon further reflection, I'm knocking this down to an F.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:14 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Good. Which justifies how awesome it is.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:35 am
now we know

I'm glad you liked it, Chippy. Like I said in my review, I really want to like this franchise. There's just a part of me that cannot accept the conveniences of idiotic storytelling. But I am genuinely happy that there are many people out there that can overlook this and just enjoy it - the friend I went with to see the movie is also like you, he just loved it because it was over the top and entertaining.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:10 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

More of the same. Just not really feeling this franchise anymore.

6/10 (C+)

Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:28 pm
The Kramer

We need more alphabets!!!

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:31 pm
loyalfromlondon

a for awesome

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:52 pm
Forum General

d for dreadful

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:51 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

f for flat tire

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

As much as I enjoyed this movie, I really hope for Furious 7 Tony Jaa isn't wasted as much as Joe Taslim was in this. Seriously, the guy was pretty beastly in The Raid and it's obvious his skills go way beyond what this movie portrays. Him getting beat in a fist fight with Tyrese of all people is still ridiculous to this very day.

Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:40 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

This was another great movie the problem here is that once the dialogue starts it gets very bland. Luckily there is a ton of action here and over-the-top action scenes that are more polished than Fast Five but its definitely a step down.

B

Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:52 am
now we know

This was on TV the other day and I watched large parts of it. I had this thought while watching the final sequence:

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:49 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4