Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol 

What grade would you give this film?
A 65%  65%  [ 15 ]
B 26%  26%  [ 6 ]
C 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 23

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol 
Sbil

Post Re: Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
David wrote:
People who claim to love the ending are just so in the tank for Brad Bird they can't see straight.

lolwut

I'm not a Brad Bird "fangirl" or something. The Incredibles isn't even one of my favorite Pixar movies.

Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:30 pm
Forum General

Libs wrote:
David wrote:
People who claim to love the ending are just so in the tank for Brad Bird they can't see straight.

lolwut

I'm not a Brad Bird "fangirl" or something. The Incredibles isn't even one of my favorite Pixar movies.

Let's not say things we can't take back, Libs.

Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:48 pm
You must have big rats

David wrote:

Ridiculous. I am not a huge fan of The Incredibles. In fact, I like M:I-4 far more.

Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:17 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Dr. Lecter wrote:
David wrote:

Ridiculous. I am not a huge fan of The Incredibles. In fact, I like M:I-4 far more.

This thread continues to take a turn for the ugly.

Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:02 pm
Superman: The Movie

I saw it again yesterday. I take back my complaint about the villain. The villain has such little time on screen that he's basically a non-entity. If the villain was presented more upfront like the others were in the previous films then I wouldn't take back my original complaint. Instead I'd say the film's focus is on the team and only on the team. The villain is only there because there has to be one.

So...

***** (A+)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:29 am
Profile WWW

David wrote:
The ending is a total dud. For one, no one cares about the whole Jeremy Renner/guilt subplot, so no one cares when it wraps up. And Michelle Monaghan's cameo (even though I enjoyed her role in the third) didn't feel very...important.

But we do care about Ethan Hunt and his wife. That's why the ending works.

Quote:
It should have ended on an awesome note, the way the Bourne movies always did. With Jason Bourne sneaking in one more, "Yep, I'm the best, motherfucker" trick.

First, Bourne and Hunt are two different characters with completely different films and outcomes, so to ask one character to be like another is a little unfair. If you want Bourne go watch a Bourne film. Second, the film did end on an awesome not and Hunt did pull of one last trick. He faked his wife's death and erased a co-agent's guilt. What more did you want? Did you want another action scene? I think the film had plenty of them.

Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:49 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

God, no, not another action scene. I was tired of them by the end. It never reached the energy of the Dubai scenes again.

I'm not comparing the Hunt and Bourne characters. I'm comparing the movies. Which is fair enough. Big-budget, espionage-flavored Hollywood action movies. The Bourne movies would always leave a strand or current unresolved until the very end, and it would wrap it up at the last second and then "Extreme Ways" would start blaring. And it always felt awesome. This movie's last six, seven minutes were so...inert. All this tagged on resolution regarding an incident we DID NOT SEE, and the cheesy phone call ("the Syndicate," lol)...just so bland and dull.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:01 am

:puke:

Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:05 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Jmart wrote:
I saw it again yesterday. I take back my complaint about the villain. The villain has such little time on screen that he's basically a non-entity. If the villain was presented more upfront like the others were in the previous films then I wouldn't take back my original complaint. Instead I'd say the film's focus is on the team and only on the team. The villain is only there because there has to be one.

So...

***** (A+)

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy completely obscures its villain, Russian spy master "Karla," and it's a rather brilliant decision. His ghostly, ambiguous influence on everything in the plot is downright haunting.

I know, I know, Ghost Protocol is a popcorn action movie, but maybe they should've gone for a similar vibe. The villain here is present just enough to register as completely vapid and bland.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:06 am

David wrote:
God, no, not another action scene. I was tired of them by the end. It never reached the energy of the Dubai scenes again.

The carport scene is pretty damn good.

Quote:
I'm not comparing the Hunt and Bourne characters. I'm comparing the movies. Which is fair enough. Big-budget, espionage-flavored Hollywood action movies. The Bourne movies would always leave a strand or current unresolved until the very end, and it would wrap it up at the last second and then "Extreme Ways" would start blaring. And it always felt awesome.

Or repetitive and can be seen coming from a mile away.

Quote:
This movie's last six, seven minutes were so...inert. All this tagged on resolution regarding an incident we DID NOT SEE,

Did we have to?

Quote:
and the cheesy phone call ("the Syndicate," lol)...just so bland and dull.

THAT'S MISSION:IMPOSSIBLE!!!

Again, I :puke: at you!

Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:09 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Jmart wrote:
Quote:
This movie's last six, seven minutes were so...inert. All this tagged on resolution regarding an incident we DID NOT SEE,

Did we have to?

In my opinion, yes. When everything which isn't "BOOM BOOM" in your movie hinges on a certain event--this mission in the past--they should have shown it. Stopping the movie to let Renner give a rambling monologue describing it isn't the same.

Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:33 am

David wrote:
Jmart wrote:
Quote:

Did we have to?

In my opinion, yes. When everything which isn't "BOOM BOOM" in your movie hinges on a certain event--this mission in the past--they should have shown it. Stopping the movie to let Renner give a rambling monologue describing it isn't the same.

You wanted another action scene? Based on your reaction before I wouldn't think so.

Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:56 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Jesus Christ.

They should have included the past mission since it's so important to Hunt, to Brandt, to the team dynamic, etc., even in interspersed flashbacks if necessary. And then they could have tightened the rest of the (overlong) movie to create space for it.

Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:08 am

Thankfully they didn't do that.

Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:11 am
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Ghost Protocol is not the best Mission: Impossible film (I would ranked it second behind the third) but it is the most impressive. I was really worried with the previews that the whole team aspect taking the front line would be a bit of a damper, but the entire team does quite well here. It's always good to see Tom Cruise doing what he does and this was no exception. Renner is a solid addition and Patton along with Pegg are great as well. The villain is weak, yes, but I don't think he was meant to be the center of the film so I'm fine with it. It works with its runtime well and goes through smoothly. Brad Bird does a great job in his first live-action film as director and with the film's success, I'm happy this series will live on. ***1/2

Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:30 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

PS, was anyone else bummed out that Max (From the first film) wasn't in this. I thought it was pretty random that her Blonde Bodyguard from the first one was there. And did the same joke with the mask, yet it just turned up to be some random arms dealer.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:31 am
Veteran

1. MI
2. MI4
3. MI2

4. MI3

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/hkreleasedates

Blog: http://hkreleasedates.blogspot.com

Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:40 pm

1. MI4
2. MI

3. MI3

4. N/A

Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:13 pm
Pure Phase

1. The first film
2. The third film

3. The fourth film

4. The second film

Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:44 pm

I'm not a fan of the end to Ghost Protocol, but the third film made me cringe on several occations. The whole CPR scene = gag me with a fucking spoon.

Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:37 pm
Where will you be?

Yeah the ending to this movie definitely runs out of steam (it's the sort of belabored talk things out ending Pineapple Express was lampooning) but Ghost Protocol is mostly a blast. It's certainly formulaic but it knows how to play with one's expectations just enough to feel fresh. While the film may peak in Dubai there's lots of inspired moments, even the ridiculous parking lot finale where the inexplicably strong villain fucks up Ethan Hunt is inspired for at least making the hero deal with a sustained wound.

I agree with the comparisons to Star Trek (2009). Its easy to pick apart the scripts weaknesses, but it's entertaining and self-aware enough to work.

Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:24 pm
You must have big rats

MovieDude wrote:
Yeah the ending to this movie definitely runs out of steam (it's the sort of belabored talk things out ending Pineapple Express was lampooning) but Ghost Protocol is mostly a blast. It's certainly formulaic but it knows how to play with one's expectations just enough to feel fresh. While the film may peak in Dubai there's lots of inspired moments, even the ridiculous parking lot finale where the inexplicably strong villain fucks up Ethan Hunt is inspired for at least making the hero deal with a sustained wound.

I agree with the comparisons to Star Trek (2009). Its easy to pick apart the scripts weaknesses, but it's entertaining and self-aware enough to work.

Ats ome point it is mentioned that he used to be in some Swedish special forces, I think.

Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:08 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

I didn't take you for a "line of dialogue explanation" junkie lecter

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:56 am
Pure Phase

He must've been a Särskilda Skyddsgruppen man.

Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:05 am
College Boy T

i was OK with this...if only because, at the time, i was deciding b/w this and 'the artist'...and 'the artist' is a true turkey, while this is more or less what'd you expect (not that it's good or anything)

serious question: is there an easier screenwriting gig out there than writing a tom cruise character?

Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next