Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 1708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 69  Next
 The Dark Knight 

What grade would you give this film?
A 82%  82%  [ 138 ]
B 11%  11%  [ 19 ]
C 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
D 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 168

The Dark Knight 
Veteran

Post Re: The Dark Knight
Ya seriously. A third film would have to be even more amazing to top this. It will fall short obviously, two face isn't as strong a villain as The Joker, imo.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:02 pm
life begins now

So so so so so so so amazing. Wow it was good...better than the first, even though it's hard to compare them. This one stands alone really. You could take out Batman and it would still be a great crime drama. The performances all around were excellent with Ledger standing out for sure. He gave me chills.

A

p.s. Heath in a nurses outfit? Amazing.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:03 pm
Profile YIM
Christian's #1 Fan

Yeah, I have to admit, Heath Ledger really deserves and Oscar for his performance, that was beyond amazing. Seriously amazing.

I don't know why I didn't love the movie, it just didn't work well for me. I'm not saying it wasn't a good movie or anything either though.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:22 pm
Commander and Chef

I'm sitting here thinking about the movie and i'm just picturing what a dismal image the movie paints about our society.

The one hero whose trying to save an entire city ... the entire civilian population turns on him when hes no longer being beneficial
The one hero whose trying to save an entire city has to become an outlaw himself so that the city can survive.
bank completely run by the mobs
mayor scared of someone making the right decisions and having the guts to stand up
The scene with the boats is a classic. Batman thought there was good in this world when the boats didn't explode. But the reality was that both boats had decided to blow the other up, no one had the guts to do it. No one wanted that responsbility. They all watched without a problem one man on eaach side grab the detonator and didn't even bother trying to stop him as long as he did it.
Joker said it perfectly. Society will turn on you when it needs to and you can't trust anyone to do your job.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:03 pm
Profile WWW
Us v Them

MR. GREEN wrote:
Groaning wrote:
Guys, I have a question:

Do I need to see Batman Begins before watching the Dark Knight??

No.. BEGINS was merely an overly long origin movie, but TDK puts that aside and gets to the point, so No..

thanks.

I mean, I don't like Batman at all, but this got me really interested. August, come.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:08 pm
htm

Health Ledger, as a nurse, was brill. I was laughing my ass off.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:17 pm
life begins now

Lampara wrote:
Yeah, I have to admit, Heath Ledger really deserves and Oscar for his performance, that was beyond amazing. Seriously amazing.

I don't know why I didn't love the movie, it just didn't work well for me. I'm not saying it wasn't a good movie or anything either though.

He really does. Here's the sad thing though...if he does get one and perhaps gets the win, everyone will be saying he got it just because he died. And maybe that will be the case, but he would have still deserved it had he not.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:22 pm
Profile YIM
Squee

A few of those scenes were really... really.. really disturbing. I couldn't believe how dark it was, even though everyone kept saying how dark it was.

:glare:

Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:37 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I honestly can't get over Heath's performance. I'd say... better than Daniel Plainview. Just sadistic and brilliant.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:01 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

bA BAt Man wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
Got back pretty late and we lost power last night at home...

TDK has to be the most nihilistic tentpole film ever released in Hollywood. By the end credits, it's down right depressing (hide the knives kids).

Now that's not to say it isn't brill and fab and exciting. But The Dark Knight would also make the Grim Reaper sleep with a night light on.

I'm most concerned where the Nolan brothers and WB even go from here in the next film. I'd almost prefer they stop. I don't a version of the The Penguin that molests kids or a Catwoman that steals organs instead of jewels.

A+

But for the love of all that is holy, inject 5% more levity in The Dark Knight II.

The one thing i was thinking about when i stepped out of the movie is something you just said. Standalone, TDk is just .... i mean .. i'm speechless about what it is. But where does this leave the 3rd? Penguin? Riddler? Bane? noneof those villains will work. Batman is a vigilante outlaw now and to keep the story interesting, he can't be seen battling mob bosses or gimmicky villains interested in him only ... we need Gotham to be in danger again which is something Joker did .. he really put the stakes up. I can't see the sequel working without someone like Freeze .. i really can't. i honestly have no idea what villain direction they'll take. its obvious the next film is going to be about batman's struggle with fighting crime on 2 fronts while saving his own ass. i also think that TDk gave some good glimpses at batman becoming a paranoid egotistical bastard and hope they keep working and building that.

if people had an issue with his voice, i think its just going to keep getting worse. the character is meant to be demonic to instill some fear into people and hopefully, they'll keep working that angle.

LOYAL come online. we must talk TDK.

That's where Nolan fucked this up by not saving Two-Face for the 3rd act.. I can't believe he did that cause that would've been the perfect setup..

Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:41 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

The Dark Knight wrote:

TDK has to be the most nihilistic tentpole film ever released in Hollywood. By the end credits, it's down right depressing (hide the knives kids).

Now that's not to say it isn't brill and fab and exciting. But The Dark Knight would also make the Grim Reaper sleep with a night light on.

I'm most concerned where the Nolan brothers and WB even go from here in the next film. I'd almost prefer they stop. I don't want a version of the The Penguin that molests kids or a Catwoman that steals organs instead of jewels.

A+

But for the love of all that is holy, inject 5% more levity in The Dark Knight II.
\

"the nights darkest just before the dawn" was the theme of the film.

#3 wil be lighter.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:50 pm
Commander and Chef

MR. GREEN wrote:
bA BAt Man wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

I'm most concerned where the Nolan brothers and WB even go from here in the next film. I'd almost prefer they stop. I don't a version of the The Penguin that molests kids or a Catwoman that steals organs instead of jewels.

A+

The one thing i was thinking about when i stepped out of the movie is something you just said. Standalone, TDk is just .... i mean .. i'm speechless about what it is. But where does this leave the 3rd? Penguin? Riddler? Bane? noneof those villains will work. Batman is a vigilante outlaw now and to keep the story interesting, he can't be seen battling mob bosses or gimmicky villains interested in him only ... we need Gotham to be in danger again which is something Joker did .. he really put the stakes up. I can't see the sequel working without someone like Freeze .. i really can't. i honestly have no idea what villain direction they'll take. its obvious the next film is going to be about batman's struggle with fighting crime on 2 fronts while saving his own ass. i also think that TDk gave some good glimpses at batman becoming a paranoid egotistical bastard and hope they keep working and building that.

if people had an issue with his voice, i think its just going to keep getting worse. the character is meant to be demonic to instill some fear into people and hopefully, they'll keep working that angle.

That's where Nolan fucked this up by not saving Two-Face for the 3rd act.. I can't believe he did that cause that would've been the perfect setup..

its tough to believe something till you .. you know .. go out and watch it.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:51 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Jokers "Hi" as a the nurse :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:

Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:52 pm

bA BAt Man wrote:
MR. GREEN wrote:
bA BAt Man wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

A+

Yeah Baba.. I didn't watch it which is why Two-Face won't be in the next movie, Oh I'm sorry, I'll be accused of reading this somewhere else... :roll:

Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:55 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

BKB. You never answered any of the questions about the movie.

Thus, we have come to conclude, you have NOT seen it.

Please, go away until you do. Or never come back.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:56 pm
Commander and Chef

MR. GREEN wrote:
bA BAt Man wrote:
MR. GREEN wrote:
bA BAt Man wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

A+

Yeah Baba.. I didn't watch it which is why Two-Face won't be in the next movie, Oh I'm sorry, I'll be accused of reading this somewhere else... :roll:

you could have made the effort of answering the questions BEFORE we started putting in the spoilers.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:58 pm
Profile WWW

bA BAt Man wrote:
MR. GREEN wrote:
bA BAt Man wrote:
MR. GREEN wrote:
bA BAt Man wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

A+

you could have made the effort of answering the questions BEFORE we started putting in the spoilers.

Oh get off your high horse Baba.. I could've stood in line to see this overrated flick in front of the whole goddamn forum here and STILL wouild've been accused of not seeing the movie and reading this bullshit online which is the same thing I can say for the rest of you.. You don't see me accusing you or anyone else of not seeing it and reading it from another site.. Holy Fuck dude.. Your taking this crap wayyy too far for your own good.. For me, it's a no win situation either way.. Christ, take your site and stick it if that's the way this is going to be for the next 6 months.. I can honestly see why Maverikk doesn't come to this site anymore with nonsense like this.. :disgust:

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:07 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

yes but the rest of us can back up our claims quite well.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:08 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Children of Men is so so so so so so fucked

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:11 pm
Extraordinary

Remember that BKB didnt watch a spiderman 2 screening but he said he did and then stole my review to try to prove it.

Lol, what a sad troll.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:12 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

The fact that BKB keeps saying that the Joker dies when he, y'know, doesn't is pretty damning evidence against him.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:52 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

bA BAt Man wrote:
yes but the rest of us can back up our claims quite well.

Hey Arsi can I have a Transformer 2 review thread cause I like saw it at a special press screening. I promise my review will only be vague plot observations and anything you might get from a trailer.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:56 pm
What would Jesus *not* do?

MR. GREEN wrote:
The Mr Pink wrote:
This is a review thread so by golly here's a review. The Dark Knight is not your average superhero movie, nor is it a better than average superhero movie. It transcends the superhero genre and grounds it in a sick, vile, corrupt world that can, at times, be a mirror to our own. The Nolans have taken what they view as our weaknesses/flaws as a society and through the guise of an extremely flawed superhero/vigilante show us that in order for good to prevail we must at times do unpleasant things. Things we find uncomfortable, things that are shaded in nuances of gray instead of black and white, things we don't want to but know we must do. Oh and it kicks ass.

I really was beginning to wonder if this could ever live up to the hype its getting and I can honestly say it surpassed it. While not a perfect film it doesn't have any major or big minor flaws, just a few very minor nit picky things that are easily compensated for. And in no way did this feel like a 2 1/2hr film, the story was so engaging it pulls you in and doesn't let go until the end. The scoring and sound mix were great, but especially for the Joker. It just puts you on the edge of your seat everytime you hear it because you know something bad is going to happen. Speaking of the Joker I'm going to jump on the Heath Ledger bandwagon because he owned every inch of that role and deserves to be recognized for it. His Joker is the best one of them all period no question no doubt. Eckhart was a good choice for Harvey Dent and Oldman really shined as Gordon. Caine and Freeman turned in solid work as well, while Bale is finally comfortable playing Batman.

Grade A+

If it isn't a perfect film, then how could you give it an A+ a perfect grade?? :whistle:

First off why the hell are you still here? I fondly recall you saying that you were leaving until September and according to my calender its July. If you want people to like and respect you and your opinions it really helps if honor your word from time to time. so bye bye.

To answer your ridiculous question, no film is perfect. Not even your precious disaster of a movie IH. When you look at Dark Knight as a whole its greater than the sum of all its parts. There just is so much that works and works extremely well it more than compensates for the slight imperfections. After seeing this 3 times already I can honestly say it holds up and holds up extremely well. In fact it gets better upon repeat viewings.

Maybe if Batman was played by a cartoony cgi creation instead of a real actor you would've been able to enjoy this film more than you did? Providing of course you've actually seen the film yet.

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:34 pm
Full Fledged Member

hmmm well I guess I'd give it an A-. I didn't find the story all that greeeat, specifically the Harvey Dent parts... I just didn't feel myself being sucked into the story as much as other great(er) films. It probably didn't help that I had accidentally read pretty much every major spoiler on AICN previously. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood, I'm gonna have to check this one out again.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:27 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Munk·E wrote:
BKB. You never answered any of the questions about the movie.

Thus, we have come to conclude, you have NOT seen it.

Please, go away until you do. Or never come back.

Yeah. He never answered the questions. He still hasn't actually.

BKB, just go away.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 69  Next