Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Top Gun 

What grade would you give this film?
A 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
B 60%  60%  [ 9 ]
C 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
D 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 15

Top Gun 
Keeping it Light

Post Re: Top Gun
I always loved this film and I rewatched it again since quite a while, still a great film in itself but also quite interesting to reflect on it with its sequel in mind. The cinematography and soundtrack are excellent in this, and the cast is so good it forms into an iconic film. Cruise is magnetic, but I love Kilmer, McGillis, Edwards and Ryan in it too. Tony Scott just enables this whirlwind of action and drama into a masterpiece.

A

Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:20 pm
now we know

stuffp wrote:
but also quite interesting to reflect on it with its sequel in mind.

That is definitely going to be interesting when I rewatch it - that relationship it will have with its sequel. Though because the sequel isn't drastically different, I feel it will be almost all complimentary comparisons.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:14 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Yeah, they complement each other really well as prequel and sequel from each other I found. In some ways I was surprised how Maverick is similar like Top Gun, with it's opening, fly scenes in general, romance, bar scenes, beach scene, the general role. Yet, it still feels like Maverick has a place despite some repetition, in that way the gap between films certainly helped. But then there's unique things and they're also distinctively their own story still with mostly different actors making them stand on their own regardless. The link between Goose en Rooster is very well done, the development of Maverick, the mere mention of Penny in Top Gun, it's all so well in sync as a two parter.

Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2