Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 First Blood 

What grade would you give this film?
A 56%  56%  [ 5 ]
B 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

First Blood 
College Boy Z

Post First Blood
First Blood

Quote:
First Blood (also known as Rambo: First Blood or simply Rambo outside of the United States) is a 1982 action/thriller film directed by Ted Kotcheff. The film stars Sylvester Stallone as John Rambo, a troubled and misunderstood Vietnam War veteran, with Sheriff Will Teasle (Brian Dennehy) as his nemesis and Colonel Samuel Trautman (Richard Crenna) as his former commander and only ally. It was released on October 22, 1982. Based on David Morrell's 1972 novel of the same name, it was the first of the Rambo series. Unlike the sequels, which were war adventure films set in foreign countries, First Blood was a post-Vietnam War psychological thriller set in the United States. First Blood lacks the gore and violence that would become a trademark of the series, as Art Galt's death is the only death in the film.

Since its release, First Blood has been a critical and commercial success and has had a lasting influence on the genre. It has also spurred countless parodies. The film is notable for its psychological portrayal of the after-effects of the Vietnam War, particularly the challenges faced by American veterans attempting to re-integrate into society, something not deeply examined in subsequent Rambo movies.

In 2008, the film was chosen by Empire magazine as one of The 500 Greatest Movies of All Time.

Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:56 pm
Golfaholic

I never understood why this one is so well-liked. It is an okay action flick, but I never bought the psychologic aspect of the movie. Good entertainment, nothing more, nothing less (C+)

Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:49 pm
We had our time together

Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:47 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Has a brilliant score, which takes advantage of the films gritty feel. Sly is superb in it. Enough said.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:52 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Good movie, even though not as amazing as most said it is. Stallone's best performance I have ever seen, though, but I thought the film lacked some action.

Last edited by Dr. Lecter on Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:59 pm
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

They drew first blood not me. They drew first blood., 14 June 1999

This is the ultimate tale of how never to judge a book by it's cover. Because no matter how much you think you may know someone, you really don't. John Rambo is now an American icon and a household name and has been referenced by everyone from Anthony Robbins to Ronald Reagan. John Rambo is a Vietnam Vet that is just looking for his old wartime buddy in Jerkwater USA. Upon finding out that his friend has since passed on from cancer that he contracted during the war, Rambo now seems to have lost his will to be nice. He wanders through the small town and comes across an over-zealous and bastard of a sheriff named Will Teasle, in a brilliant performance by Brian Dennehy. Rambo gets hassled one too many times and finally cracks and leads the small town sheriff's department and the local national guard through a simulated war game that is all too real. This movie is loaded with excellent performances like Dennehy, Richard Crenna, who plays Trautman, Rambo's mentor and only true friend. And of course Stallone as the war vet that has been pushed around one too many times. His silence is sometimes louder than if he had a soliloquy explaining his aggression. His facial contortions and his grunts speak volumes about how his character is feeling. Also look for David Caruso in pre-NYPD Blues form as the only cop who really seems to know that they are outmatched by Rambo. Overall this is one of the best action movies ever made up there with Raiders and any slew of Arnold movies. This is great entertainment. But beyond entertainment, this is a very dark movie that has a message. Stallone is a very smart man and his tragic portrayal of a mentally scarred vet is actually quite an eye opener to perhaps others that are dealing with the after effects of the war. After the smoke clears, you realize that this is quite an important movie. And if you listen closely to the last five minutes of the film, you may see that there is a lot to be said about what is so wrong with war. This is one amazing movie.

Wed May 04, 2005 5:33 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: First Blood
BUMP up with the release of Rambo.

Dark and gritty, as well as fast paced, Stallone at this point was not a complete action star yet, and this showed he was certainly a competant actor, as well as pulling no stops with action. Due to its small budget, it does feel a little dated at times, but Rambo's first effort was solid and remains a classic today. Some people never see this one and forget how different it is from the sequels.

A

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:11 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

One of the best films of the 80s and for me personally Stallone's best performance.

I dunno what it is about this film that makes it so damn good, a combination I suppose.

The weary beaten look in Rambo's eye's
The country hicks that push him over the edge
The old commander that has to talk him down

That and lots more, its in essence the waste of war and what it does to the mind on a personal level. Lots of films lay this out but few succeed quite like First Blood, indeed its impossible for me to link this to the sequels this is such a different beast.

Truly essential cinema.

Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:44 am
loyalfromlondon

Its deep, psychological ruminations on the aftereffects of war and Vietnam are kinda contradicted by the sheer amount of orgasmic gun violence, but this is still a rather worthy action flick. Stallone is indeed great, and his largely mute performance gives the proceedings a solemnity that other, similar films don't have. It's also tight and lean and fast-paced, without sacrificing too much character or plot development. It's at once exciting and intense.

But that song at the end, holy crap. One of the most horrific things I've ever listened to in my entire life. Almost ruins the entire movie.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:34 am
Keeping it Light

Fantastic film. I always loved it and decided to watch it again as part of a Rambo marathon. Stallone is obviously great, plays Rambo perfect and Crenna and Dennehy create iconic roles of their own. Its got a really good Pacific Northwest setting being really well filmed and with a classic score. The film just does no wrong, there's a lead to root for, it's gripping, dramatic, has memorable dialogue and stylized with great set pieces. Best film of 82.

A

Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:36 am
Forum General

Yep this is still a damn great movie and my favorite film in the franchise. Stallone has never been better and I just love the whole isolated town setting. This movie just works on every level, and I miss the fact that the later films haven't been able to recapture the feel of this movie, but instead just rely heavily on the action which isn't a bad thing, but I have always found the drama in this movie far more endearing and compelling.

A

Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:29 pm
Keeping it Light

I had the blessing to be able to see this in the cinema today, and it was such a satisfying experience. A great film that feels even greater considering very few films in the last couple years are even able to tip a hat to this as a whole. It's a real masterpiece and there's a lot of craft and art to it that jumps off the screen. The first hour is especially very riveting from the first second, and the chase from when Rambo breaks out of holding area is a real breath of fresh air compared to the cgi action scene from modern films. Mentioned before, but great cast and acting, excellent script, as well as the melancholic score make this a classic film. One of the best films ever period, but also absolutely unique and pretty unrivaled among sub 95 min. runtime films.

Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:57 pm
now we know

stuffp wrote:
I had the blessing to be able to see this in the cinema today, and it was such a satisfying experience.

#envy

But very pleased you caught it and supported its anniversary release. :clap:

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:04 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]