Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 The Mummy (2017) 

Rate This Film
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 6 ]
F 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 12

The Mummy (2017) 
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: The Mummy (2017)
The Mummy is monsterously predictable and horrifingly boring. (To be fair, I did enjoy the all too brief Egyptian backstory and the kickass plane crash sequence.) *D*

Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:05 am
Forum General

Yeah this movie sucked. It's just about as boring and generic as I found WW to be and it even manages to have less likable characters, particularly the leads. I really didn't like Tom Cruise's character in this eventhough they try so damn hard to make you sympathize for him. His whole relationship with Annabelle Wallis character was so forced and unbelievable and it doesn't help that she isn't very good in this movie either. The only real positives I can think of is that I liked Russell Crowe as Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde, especially the fight scene he had with Cruise and while Sofia Boutella was at least trying other than looking creepy I don't feel she offered much in terms of presence or personality.

Also, both Jake Johnson and Courtney B. Vance were criminally wasted in this.

Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:31 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

This was fine. Cruise was very meh. Boutella was underused. Crowe was really good. Story didn't really go anywhere, and I have no idea where they're going with this universe.

B-?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:04 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was lame but it was honestly better than the third film in the Brendan Fraser series, which is mind-bogglingly awful. It's mostly just forgettable and spends way too much of its effort trying to set up this Avengers-like universe than actually focusing on telling a coherent story. Still though, it's pretty harmless and goes by fast. It doesn't hold a candle to the 1999 film.
C

Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:27 pm
Profile YIM
The Kramer

Yeah there's a good action comedy in here somewhere, but Cruise seems to be the only one interested in making a decent single movie. The Dark Universe is still a good idea, it just needed a solid foundation before building the house. And The Mummy definitely fails at that.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:48 pm
The Kramer

And wouldn't it make more sense for Van Helsing to be the leader of this monster hunting group? That chops off like 10 minutes of Jekyll and Hyde exposition right there, time that could have been used for the movie they were making.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:51 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I think Cruise was the idea for Van Helsing, they just went the STID way to lead him in. But gave him a few powers.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:30 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

They say The Mummy as in Cruise will be it and I am sure they will get someone else to play Van Helsing if they want to.

Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:40 pm
now we know

The wise decision would be to get Hugh Jackman back to play Van Helsing. He's done one before. He's not got any Wolverine films to make anymore. And people like familiarity no matter how much they thought they didn't care for that film. Cruise + Crowe + Jackman is a winning team.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yes it would be wise but I highly doubt Jackman will be ready to do another one now.

Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:40 pm
now we know

Well, Universal don't seem to mind throwing money at making this Dark Universe work, so they should just throw $30m at Jackman.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:37 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

I thought I would give this another chance today. Again I didn't mind it too much, but it is a peculiar and dull film in many ways. I spotted all the same issues. The lighting absolutely kills me every time. It's so dark for most of the movie (starting after the crash until the end credits). Much of the fighting is hidden. And Jekyll's transformation should have been way better than just a veiny-faced Crowe. But all-in-all I look upon this film fondly - even knowing it's not very good - because of just how much there is to discuss. It is an ambitious but ultimately failed experiment.

One thing that is immediately apparent is Russell Crowe and Tom Cruise are both big stars but should never share the screen together. It is not the right pairing at all. Even if I somewhat accept Tom signed freely on the dotted line to be in this film, it is such an odd chapter in his career. It is almost as if he did not show up on set ever, and some visual effects wizards cut his movements from Mission: Impossible movies and put them in here. He's so out of place because Cruise usually owns the movies he's in, and here he isn't allowed to because the project takes over, so his light is forced to fade, if that makes sense. It's just an odd marriage between star and project.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:29 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3