Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 The Banshees of Inisherin 

Grade:
A 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
B 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

The Banshees of Inisherin 
now we know

Post The Banshees of Inisherin

Quote:
The Banshees of Inisherin is a 2022 black comedy-drama film written and directed by Martin McDonagh. The film stars Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, Kerry Condon and Barry Keoghan.

The Banshees of Inisherin premiered at the 79th Venice International Film Festival on 5 September 2022, where Farrell won the Volpi Cup for Best Actor and McDonagh won the Golden Osella for Best Screenplay, and was released on 21 October 2022, by Searchlight Pictures.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:16 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Post Re: The Banshees of Inisherin
I'm excited to see this tonight!

Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:05 pm
Hold the door!

This was lovely, if a bit slow. Could have used a bit more drama, but the characters are interesting, the cinematography is great and it's a very transporting experience

Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:53 am
Forum General

I've now seen it twice and it's easily one of my favorite movies of the year.

Colin Farrell and Kerry Condon give two of the best performances of the year, with Colin never being better. It's also the most gorgeous movie of the year and one of the funniest.

A

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:02 pm
Profile YIM WWW
now we know

I thought it was good, but not very good. I enjoyed it. It's funny. It just doesn't have much meat on its bones, and then it's over. Farrell is excellent, though. Everyone is good but he is exemplary.

And since we're not allowed to have the actual year's best films win awards, The Banshees of Inisherin is the film I would be happy to see win. But, to be clear, the film isn't a patch on Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:46 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I knew nothing about this but decided to go see it just based on Farrell and loved it.

Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:52 am
Devil's Advocate

Not a big fan of this. It was too over the top to be realistic (actually cutting off his fingers? The witch?) but at the same time still kind of slow paced and boring compared to McDonagh's other movies. By the time of the 3rd act any attempt to make a movie about whether it's better to be nice/boring or mean/interesting gets overwhelmed by Farrell becoming a different person, and the sister character was mostly wasted with the dipshit making a move on her being less interesting than if Farrell or Gleeson was in love with her. I did think Farrell and Gleeson were excellent but I wish they threw in a bit more story like revealing Farrell's character is a Irish civil war vet or something to explain why he has so much darkness.

Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:07 pm
Indiana Jones IV

this was taut yet wandering, hilarious yet deeply disturbing; humane, almost beautiful, yet so utterly bleak and grim it hurt. A lot to chew on yet so minimal as to be fable-istic... A movie with much to say about human nature.... the divisions and distinctions and chaos we inevitably sow into our lives, our attempts to create meaning and assert significance, the inevitable destruction of innocent connections and the shadow side of superiority, moralizing, posturing... but somehow it doesn't feel at all preachy or heavy-handed.

Like the director's other movies, I'm won over by an initial viewing but unlikely to ever want to watch it again. Would recommend though.

Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:50 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Despite the rave reviews I was very unexcited about watching this, but I'm glad I did because I thought it was great. Hilarious and smart, with great performances across the board and gorgeous cinematography. Compared to something like Tar which was a total slog I actually appreciated this being entertaining as well. Wouldn't be mad if this ended up sweeping the awards this year. A-

Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:06 pm
Profile YIM
The Kramer

The cinematography is gorgeous (another from the school of Barry Lyndon) and the acting is top notch. The movie does drag a little long though and I'd have preferred it go full comedy instead of often leaning towards tragedy. Even with that, it's still very good and my favorite I've seen from Martin McDonagh.

8/10ish

Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:03 pm
Extraordinary

The cinematography was great in this and it was well acted but kind of went downhill in the last 1/3 for me. I liked that it was talking about how people can naturally drift apart from those they used to be close with and the hurt that can cause human elements they touched on but then for me it almost became a list of over the top events that I felt of which some were unnecessary and distracting from the best parts which were more subtle interactions. I would have loved to unlock more of the elements that made Colin's character so dependent on others for validation.

Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:34 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]