Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Marvels #'s 
Full Fledged Member

Post Re: Marvels #'s
Shack wrote:
I was looking at Solo: A Star Wars Story’s flop and its opening looks amazing compared to The Marvels (97 million adjusted) - I guess Star Wars at that time had higher expectations though. Dark Phoenix adjusted (38 million) is within striking distance of the Marvels.

I find it interesting that globally everyone is checking out on superhero movies and other Disney IP milking like Indy 5 at the same time. You’d think that even if American culture was turning on it the other countries might be operating on a different timeline.

Yeah I'd say Disney's movie division has five main pillars (excluding Avatar since it's too irregular) and so far, they've had a flop or bomb in each of the ones that have had a movie released this year:

-Marvel (Quantumania: flop, the Marvels: bomb)
-Live action adaptations (Little mermaid: flop)
-LucasFilm (Indy 5: bomb)
-Pixar (Elemental: either flopped or just barely broke even so still disappointing but at least there are some positive signs here)
-Disney animation ( Wish: TBD)

How did the whole world just got bored of Disney simultaneously? In 2019, each of these five movie divisions had at least one billion dollar movie each (with Marvel and the live action remakes having multiple billionnaire movies).

Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:03 pm
Extraordinary

I know we've debated this a lot but given the state of Disney going into the holiday season now, TLM's $298,172,056 doesn't look nearly has bad now as it might have in May. That was before Elemental, IJ5, Haunted Mansion and Marvels.

Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:17 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Disney+ (streaming in general) is a big reason. I can't get my husband to even go to the movies anymore because of it. We've only seen two films in theaters this year (Little Mermaid and Across the Spider-Verse). He's down to seeing Dune 2 in theaters, but besides that and whenever Beyond the Spider-Verse comes out, nothing really on the 2023-2024 calendar he has a need to see in theaters (saves money).

Quality taking a hit across the industry since the pandemic is a reason too (most movies look a lot cheaper than many from five, ten, and even fifteen years ago despite much higher budgets). Disney isn't alone in this regard. Nearly everything looks filmed with 4 green screen walls.

So, streaming + lower quality = less desire to go to theaters right now. Maybe it's still an effect from the pandemic that the industry has yet to shake. Give them a hear or two and perhaps they'll get back to a more consistent track record. Superhero movies (MCU and DCU) mostly taking 2024 off is a good sign.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:19 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Not having a consistent schedule of major studio releases for the last 3 years has really hurt the momentum of theatrical recovery. This summer with Barbenheimer has been followed up with a schedule barren thanks to the strike.

We have no chance of returning to pre-pandemic attendance till there are major studio releases every week like before the pandemic and people can get in a habit of being in the theater.

Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:22 pm
Angels & Demons

So The Marvels Preview Numbers $6.6 Million IM is to a $47 Million OW. Why does it have a better Preview to Weekend IM than Ant-Man 3, Guardians 3, and Wakanda Forever despite having the same reception as Ant-Man 3 and also doing better than Guardians and Wakanda?

Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:48 pm
Quality is a great business plan

O wrote:
MCU still had an unprecedented run from 2008 to 2023.

Pixar 1995 to 2006 when they had Cars critically but Cars was still a $$$ cow for Disney in merchandise. Pixar's heyday probably realistically lasted 1995 to 2015 with The Good Dinosaur though Disney+ reached new lows and gave us performances like Lightyear.

SW is a whole other type of mess. That was going downhill pre-Disney+ based on poor quality control.

Disney can't go 60% theatrical, 40% Disney+. They need to find a balance because it's reduced the value of much of their IP and confused their fanbases.

I think they should try to go the arthouse gritty superhero route. Keep budgets in control but the original Xmen still feels refreshing because it was all new (pre-Spidy) and didn't feel overly formulaic.

Batman Begins had a big budget but still felt so fresh at the time since Batman and Robin got to the cartoony cheesy Batman phase which sort of feels like what some of the comic book movies are trying to force now.

And on IJ5, that was doomed imo in 2013, 2016, 2019, 2023. Sort of like The Matrix 4. A big gap in time couldn't overcome how bad sequels reduced a lot of the value of the original franchise.

Pixar 2016 to 2019 had Finding Dory, Coco, The Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4. All of them critical and commercial success. Even during pandemic Soul, luca and Turning red were well received critically but it was fucked up by Disney's asinine choice of going direct to streaming. That really hit their brand big time and we had 2 middling movies in Light year and Elemental(which had good WOM ensure good legs in domestic and crazy legs in korea). I think Inside Out 2 should hopefully bring it back to former glory.

Marvel also will be ok. Deadpool 3 seems a safe follow up movie.I am not convinced by their 2025 slate. Fantastic Four is a hard nut to crack and rest seem dicey to me.

I used to be shawman.

Last edited by Keyser Söze on Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:35 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

With a $270M budget, this is a mega-bomb. Yet another one for Disney this year after Indy 5 and Haunted Mansion.

Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:36 pm

Charlie is saying 9.25m sunday for 45.5m OW. Not exactly a shocker than it went below estimates.

I used to be shawman.

Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:51 pm

Chaplainfan wrote:
So The Marvels Preview Numbers $6.6 Million IM is to a $47 Million OW. Why does it have a better Preview to Weekend IM than Ant-Man 3, Guardians 3, and Wakanda Forever despite having the same reception as Ant-Man 3 and also doing better than Guardians and Wakanda?

Smaller previews better internal multiplier. Even Black Adam had a good IM. Flash had a terrible IM but still did better than say Thor 4 which opened in summer but that had 29m previews :-)

I used to be shawman.

Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:53 pm
Extraordinary

Keyser Söze wrote:
Charlie is saying 9.25m sunday for 45.5m OW. Not exactly a shocker than it went below estimates.

Horrendous but not surprising. If it follows The Flash it would be at $89.5M total. Though that has mid June release before mid November.

I don't count Wonderwoman's sequel which was in holidays 2020 in the middle of the pandemic (and likely would have done $200M+), so Marvels will become the first ever sequel to a $400M+ movie to possibly fail to do $100M.

Will join Alice 2 as the only $300M+ movies to fail to do $100M if it missed that level.

Suicide Squad 2 also missed $100M but was during the pandemic after a $300M+ predecessor.

Even the Independence Day sequel (2016) without Will Smith pulled $100M+ off. So this would be horrible all around to be in Alice territory.

Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:32 am
Profile WWW

O wrote:
Keyser Söze wrote:

Horrendous but not surprising. If it follows The Flash it would be at $89.5M total. Though that has mid June release before mid November.

I don't count Wonderwoman's sequel which was in holidays 2020 in the middle of the pandemic (and likely would have done $200M+), so Marvels will become the first ever sequel to a $400M+ movie to possibly fail to do $100M.

Will join Alice 2 as the only $300M+ movies to fail to do $100M if it missed that level.

Suicide Squad 2 also missed $100M but was during the pandemic after a $300M+ predecessor.

Even the Independence Day sequel (2016) without Will Smith pulled $100M+ off. So this would be horrible all around to be in Alice territory.

Suicide Squad 2 was available for free on HBO Max. HBO unlike Peacock is not niche. Its one of the most popular streaming service.

That said it was going to drop hard even if it was not available for free on HBO. Cast was not as strong as 1st movie which had bad WOM as well.

I used to be shawman.

Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:50 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

I'm a proud MCU hater but Flash is still a more embarrassing bomb because that had Batman in it.

Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:24 am

Barrabás wrote:
I'm a proud MCU hater but Flash is still a more embarrassing bomb because that had Batman in it.

I agree. we could see Marvels disappointing for a long time. Flash had 3 different batmans and they played the keaton angle in the trailers as well with the "lets go nuts". While the movie had issues, it had some moments as well. it was just rejected big time. i think Ezra was too toxic and even without strike, he was kept out of limelight despite it being a Flash movie !!! I think we are not going to see another Flash movie for eons just like Green Lantern 2011 nuked that character and he is also extremely popular character.

I used to be shawman.

Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:33 am
On autopilot for the summer

Flash needed to come out right out after JL. Or in normal circumstances before and this should have been flash 2. I hope beetlejuice 2 breaks out because Keaton was the only shining light for the DCEU, and that’s after still hacking his role to barebones in the film.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:39 am
now we know

Yes, The Flash bombing was just perplexing. I just could not imagine it doing so badly. The Marvels has nothing going for it, so its bombing doesn't feel like a big deal to me.

It would be funny if Dungeons and Dragons ends up out-grossing The Marvels.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:51 am
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

$2.4mil Monday.

YIKES

whats the inverse of mother of god?

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:42 pm
Extraordinary

$46,111,859 final 3day.

$2.4M Monday. Maybe $3.5M Tuesday, $2M Wednesday, $1.5M Thursday for $55.5M 1st week?

3 wide releases in 3 days that could do $100M+

Maybe a 70% drop to $13.8M second weekend?

$69.3M 10 day total? 50% drop in dailies during Thanksgiving week since people are off. $4.7M?

Another 3 wide releases and 1 expansion in weekend 3 for big theater loss and maybe somewhat of a bump for Thanksgiving? Say a 55% drop? $6.2M 3rd weekend.

So by the end of Thanksgiving a total of $80.2M? I feel I'm also being overly optimistic here.

Looks like this could struggle to get to $90M. :sweat:

Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:18 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Anything sub 100 just feels wild to me.

Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:23 pm
Extraordinary

Marvels is MUCH worse than Alice 2's demise as it had $100M less the budget.

A $270M budgeted movie with $100M in marketing (where did that $$$ go)?!

Maybe will get to $90M domestic. I'm shocked that an MCU movie won't even reach the marketing budget!

Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:27 pm
Profile WWW

overseas is even worse. China opened to $11.3m and is struggling to hit $15m at this point. It dropped 34% on tuesday. It also bombed in most markets. Parts of asia look the best to me. its going to finish around 220-240m WW !!!! 80% drop from 1st movie.

I used to be shawman.

Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:30 pm
Extraordinary

... yeesh. And it could've had no Imax if Dune had opened.

Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:31 pm
Extraordinary

RDJ got about $75 million apparently from Endgame. I think it's clear he was worth every penny.

I can't not see him get $100M+ offer to do one more film.

Scarlett got $35M from Endgame. Apparently $20M for Black Widow
Chris Evans got $20M.
Mark Ruffalo $15M
Jeremy Renner $15M
Chris Hemsworth $15M

And how much was RDJ paid for 2008's Iron Man? $500K!

Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:44 pm
Profile WWW

Monday Actual - 2,372,375

I dont think 74% in itself terrible. It was bad sunday drop it had yesterday which has taken the number so low.

I used to be shawman.

Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:03 pm
now we know

If somebody had said at the start of the year that a little horror movie called Five Nights at Freddy's would not only out-gross but pretty much demolish The Marvels in total gross, they would have been laughed off the forum. Nobody had even heard of 5NaF before tracking pushed people to its Wikipedia page.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:39 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

I drove by the small independent theater near me last night at 7:20pm and saw the owner locking up. He's currently playing the Marvels, but I didn't spot a single car in the lot besides his own, so guessing he had no customers last night. And I know from talking to him that getting a new big release on opening week isn't cheap.

I don't go by every single night to check how busy the theater is of course, but I've never see it not have one single customer before for the 7pm showing.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:03 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next