Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 The Little Mermaid weekend thread 
Ocarina of Time

Post Re: The Little Mermaid weekend thread
lilmac wrote:
Algren wrote:
Flava'd vs The World wrote:
But does a white, red-headed little mermaid really increase the gross? Do you gain more money from racist families then you would lose from black families? I dunno about that.

You made it highly simplistic with that unfair comment. Not wanting to see it because Ariel isn't white doesn't mean you are a racist. Just the same as I wouldn't see a Rambo movie with Rambo not played by Stallone. It's what I grew up with, and it's all I will accept. Similarly, the only additional people that will see this new Ariel are not black. It's more than a race thing even if race is involved.

Agree with Algren. If they remade Lord of the Rings and made it 'diverse' so that some of the main cast looks like me, I would be pissed. Yes, it's fantasy and not real but the tone and aesthetic of that world does not call for diversity. The movie experience then becomes distracting and not immersive because I'm thinking about how it's become politicized. I don't think I'm being racist (in this example, against my own kind) for not wanting everything to be inclusive.

You can see in Little Mermaid how strategic they were about it all. In almost every scene where a white male (mostly Eric) was the center of the action, they were very intentional about making sure multiple races or genders were visible in those scenes. Check for yourself. There are stipulations like Inclusion Riders which mandate these contrivances, especially for the big budget films. I'm not saying the intention is wrong, it isn't...it's just very irritating. LOL

Agree with Illmac, Barrabás and Algren, I’m just tired of cultural appropriation in the entertainment business, just stop white-washing and black-washing characters we all know. I’m against to all this “reimagination” stuff, just CREATE SOMETHING NEW with either black, native, white, latino, asian characters and people will support it!

And for the record, Black Panther was a HUGE success mainly because Marvel respected the source material of making it with Black actors, it would have been insane to be opposed to that.

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Mon May 29, 2023 11:06 pm
Quality is a great business plan

Take a Chill Pill Brian. Its ok to reimage in movies. If you dont like it just skip it.

I used to be shawman.

Mon May 29, 2023 11:21 pm
Romosexual!

Hey white people you’re not getting replaced in Hollywood, far from it, so stop freaking out over “diversity” & “wokeism” for god’s sakes. :roll: You still run Hollywood & get/produce the majority of roles/entertainment. Y’all so fragile it’d be hilarious if it wasn’t so pathetic.

Tue May 30, 2023 12:51 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Rev wrote:
Hey white people you’re not getting replaced in Hollywood, far from it, so stop freaking out over “diversity” & “wokeism” for god’s sakes. :roll: You still run Hollywood & get/produce the majority of roles/entertainment. Y’all so fragile it’d be hilarious if it wasn’t so pathetic.

Agreed 100% that white people are still getting tons of roles in Hwood, but if we want to talk about who owns Hwood... well... yeah it's white people but it's... lol.

Tue May 30, 2023 3:05 am
now we know

Is it taboo to say Jews now?

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue May 30, 2023 3:50 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Monday was down 15%, $23.2m. Good #.

Tue May 30, 2023 3:38 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

$11.5m Tuesday. Quite good. Just barely over 50% drop, and a better hold than Aladdin post Memorial Day. I actually don't see anything (among the big openers or relatively big openers) that managed sub-50% post Memorial Day drops.

But the upcoming weekend(s) are going to be the test.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed May 31, 2023 1:56 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I think Little Mermaid will pass $300m. WoM seems pretty strong. I think it all depends on how it drops 3rd weekend.

Wed May 31, 2023 2:39 pm
Extraordinary

Mermaid and Spider-verse both have big appeal to African American audiences and Latino Audiences.

Mermaid:
-35% Black, 25% Latino and Hispanic, 26% Caucasian and 11% Asian. Did the best East, South, and South Central.
-Got all PLFs, split Imax with FastX. PLF + Imax made up 26% last weekend. 3D 14%.

Spider-verse #1 (2018):
-43% Caucasian, 21% Hispanic, 16% African-American and 15% Asian

Spider-verse #'s were from OW but probably expect a higher % this time for African Americans.

The one thing that could help is Spider-verse had a lot more interest among older males last time and non-family audiences. Hoping both can co-exist as Mermaid pulls more younger females and family audiences but it's going to be so big OW wise that it's just too big to not have an impact.

Wed May 31, 2023 2:56 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

If Mermaid avoids a 20% drop today it should do low to mid 40s this weekend

Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5