Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Spider-man: Across the Spiderverse - June 2 
Quality is a great business plan

Post Spider-man: Across the Spiderverse - June 2
Ticket sales started and it just shot off like a super hero movie than say a kids flick. I think this is the favorite to win the summer. Amazing part is this is doing that without any trailer to push the ticket sales. Just in few hours its crushing Mario OD presales and also Mermaid !!! :zonks:

For now 125-150m OW and 400m+ domestic is on cards.

I used to be shawman.

Last edited by Keyser Söze on Mon May 08, 2023 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 08, 2023 12:08 pm
Hold the door!

Post Re: Spider-man: Across the Spiderverse
Awesome!

Need to re watch the first film

Mon May 08, 2023 12:09 pm
Extraordinary

Been cheering this on for months. The legs and reception for the original are exceptional and definitely agree as the favorite to win the summer.

Mon May 08, 2023 12:15 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

The original also appears to have been a bit of a revolutionary film for Western animation. Since its release, we've seen more films adopt its style (The Bad Guys, Puss in Boots 2, even Disney with Wish).

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon May 08, 2023 12:22 pm
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

Post Re: Spider-man: Across the Spiderverse - June 2
Got mine for thursday June 1st at 2pm :D

Mon May 08, 2023 1:31 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

WOW. Have to admit, my kids and their friends are keen to see it even though I'm not overly fussed.

I've heard some of the POV scenes are fantastic.

Looks like it will win the summer at this rate. Could two animated titles rule the year?

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue May 09, 2023 12:30 am
Extraordinary

Yes, animation is back with a vengeance this year and could contribute nearly $2B to the domestic box office which is crazy considering how streaming almost destroyed the genre theatrically. In fact, looks like animation could surpass superheroes as the genre with the biggest box office!

Tue May 09, 2023 1:22 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Back with a vengeance indeed. And neither are from Disney! (Though Disney should see solid coin from Elemental and Wish)

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue May 09, 2023 1:48 am
now we know

What's all of this win the summer nonsense? ;) Indiana Jones might have something to say about that. And Ethan Hunt. And Michael Keaton. If it beats Fast X I'd consider it to have done well. But I don't see Across the Spider-Verse being as popular as, say, Mario, which it will probably need to be in order to win the summer. I also don't see it as the type of film to have grown its audience much, if at all. Remember that the first only did $190 million. If it grows, it's not going to have John Wick-levels of maturation. If it grew to $250 million, that's excellent, heck even $300 million, but it isn't winning any summer with such a number. And I seriously doubt it increases by 50%. Not at those heights. If the first did $65 million then yes, but not at the near-$200m level. It just ain't growing that much to be able to beat the biggest movie this summer.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue May 09, 2023 10:16 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

I don’t think fast x will do over 140 so that shouldn’t be too hard. I almost want to say it’ll do under 2 fast 2 furious. Right now I’m think 56/132. This should see a healthy increase though, unless it pulls a Lego movie, I haven’t seen any marketing really

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue May 09, 2023 10:33 am
now we know

Thegun wrote:
I don’t think fast x will do over 140 so that shouldn’t be too hard. I almost want to say it’ll do under 2 fast 2 furious. Right now I’m think 56/132

I actually didn't think much about Fast X when citing it above. I just always think those movies are in the $200 million area. But you might be right. I didn't realise the ninth made only $173m.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue May 09, 2023 10:37 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Spider-verse 1 had among the 3rd best legs for any superhero movie ever to open under $50M joined by Batman (1989) and Batman Begins (2005). A 100%+ increase is not impossible given how well received the original was. It's audience has grown massively since the theatrical release.

Tue May 09, 2023 12:51 pm
Profile WWW

Indy's early audience tracking metrics look weak. It makes sense as there is little to attract the core demo. This will have to rely on strong reviews/reactions out of Cannes and I still dont see ticket sales like Maverick as that had so many money shots that is missing for this.

Spiderverse is absolutely crushing with presales. I think only Flash will be close to it. We will know soon as I expect Flash presales to start soon.

I used to be shawman.

Tue May 09, 2023 1:02 pm
now we know

O wrote:
It's audience has grown massively since the theatrical release.

What's giving you that impression? The legs of the first film surely aren't an indicator of that. They helped it get to $190 million. What since its last day at the box office is telling you there's been audience growth? Its presales? As if there's never been a sequel that became front-loaded after a leggy first. ;)

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue May 09, 2023 2:15 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Spiderverse did massive numbers on Netflix and that's where the audience growth is gonna come from.

The first one was seen as a spinoff. Now it's the only Spidey franchise going (until Peter comes back in Kang Dynasty.)

Tue May 09, 2023 3:44 pm
now we know

What were the Netflix numbers? And what makes you think Netflix viewers will suddenly switch it up and pay to see it at the cinema?

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue May 09, 2023 3:53 pm
Profile WWW
Begging Naked

I predicted this to win the summer on Twitter and a couple of my followers seemed very skeptical, so this is exciting news to hear. :D I think people forget how impressive the original's legs were. Despite being a Spider-Man movie I think most people assumed it was an inessential spinoff, so it managed to have a mini-Puss in Boots 2 run - after holding as well as usual through the holidays it started having the best drops in the top 10 every weekend, even outlasting Mary Poppins Returns on the charts even though that movie had a $10M advantage during the post-Christmas weekend. And yeah, the movie was a regular staple on Netflix at its peak, so it probably had the kind of healthy home media life that the VHS/DVD hits of the '90s and '00s once had.

My one concern for it is that the movie is very long for an animated film (136 minutes - probably the long American animated film ever?) and it's doing the two-part sequel thing that Matrix and Pirates did to mixed results, so the movie could end up being too ambitious for its own good resulting in mixed WOM, which in a crowded summer can be lethal to legs. But I'll choose to be optimistic. And opening at the beginning of June means summer weekdays kick in right away, so hopefully that helps.

Wed May 10, 2023 8:35 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

The Spiderverse Burger King burger tie in was trending. Anticipation on Spiderverse feels so far ahead of everything else it may not even be close.

Fri May 19, 2023 1:22 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

First reactions to Spider-verse are coming out and sounds like it lives up to the hype. From Variety. Could it give Mario a run for it's money?

“lives one step above Masterpiece."

"The best #SpiderMan movie. Might be my favorite movie ever."

"SpiderManAcrossTheSpiderVerse is yet another resounding win for the Lord Miller-produced universe. Hailee Steinfeld really comes into her own as Gwen Stacy, and her scenes with Shea Whigham's Captain Stacy are truly special. It's darker and sadder than I expected, but necessary."

"“Across the Spider-Verse” “raises its own bar which seemed impossible.”

“There are shocking twists, unexpected surprises and a story that truly makes sense for the crazy multiverse world that we have all jumped head first in to"

"the sequel is “not surprisingly terrific” and is “still about Miles just wanting to be accepted for who he is.”

"SpiderManAcrossTheSpiderVerse is a stunning achievement. Yes, it’s visually dazzling, with expansive, expressive new realms (Gwen’s world is my favorite). But the movie’s real superpower is its emotional depth and its beautiful, melancholic tone. I love this movie so, so much"

"AcrossTheSpiderVerse is yet another milestone for animation. Yes it's gorgeous & visually mind-blowing, but this sequel surpasses the first for always putting Miles AND his family front and center. Spider-Gwen also rightfully steps deeper into the spotlight, co-owning the film."

"SpiderManAcrossTheSpiderVerse is excellent. Every frame is beautiful and made me want to freeze time so I could look at it more. Plus there are very funny surprises that I liked a lot."

One underwhelmed one but still sounds like fans may not care:

"the film ultimately “fails to come close to where the original is for me, mainly due to the fact that it prioritizes fan service over a strong story.”

Thu May 25, 2023 1:56 am
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

OMG! :ohmy: I CAN NOT WAIT!!!! :D

Thu May 25, 2023 6:35 am

Presales are starting to go on a over drive. At this point in the cycle its pace is higher than Guardians or Ant 3. I expect this to end up with 2nd biggest OW for the year. If reviews are rave, I think my high end will happen(150m OW). This is the breakout for next month.

By now we have presales info for most of the June releases and its not even close. Spiderverse is crushing everything. Next up is Flash and Indy is doing terrible at this point. Transformers would do mid level numbers at best(~50m). Elemental is looking like a bomb.

I used to be shawman.

Thu May 25, 2023 10:03 am
Extraordinary

I'm happy for Spiderverse but no so much for the overall box office to see such weakness from big tentpoles in presales. Hopefully we get some surprise hits or overperformances.

Thu May 25, 2023 11:12 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Sounds like Spiderverse is the type of breakout of that goes over all expectations.

Poor Indy but in retrospect Barrabis is right that doing this with Ford instead of a reboot with Chris Pratt or something was crazy use of this brand, my initial reaction to them actually going through with it was wtf, and then warmed up to the idea after Top Gun 2. Maybe if they had someone young and popular on social media like Zendaya instead of PWB it would have been the perfect compliment. This just goes to show what a miracle Top Gun 2 was.

Thu May 25, 2023 11:45 am
Extraordinary

Are we allowed to have a franchise reboot that Pratt isn't involved in? If Garfield grosses $200M+ or something then he clearly has a midas touch. :P

It's somehow opening this Memorial Weekend next year against the Mad Max prequel.

Thu May 25, 2023 12:12 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Sounds pretty bizarre if this opens to $150m+ but I'm all for it.

Thu May 25, 2023 2:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next