Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Shazam weekend thread 
The Kramer

Post Re: Shazam weekend thread
Wonder what the odds were on Cocaine Bear outgrossing Shazam 2. :hahaha:

Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:14 pm
Extraordinary

It's interesting that the arguably two rare disappointments of the year so far were Magic Mike 3 and Shazam are both from WB. At least Mike had a limited OW so managed expectations.

Almost every opener has met or surpassed expectations or at least had a low budget if they disappointed (Cabin).

If I were Mattel leadership, I'd be very worried and take over the Barbie marketing campaign from WB. :funny:

Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:22 pm
Profile WWW
Wall-E

O wrote:
It's interesting that the arguably two rare disappointments of the year so far were Magic Mike 3 and Shazam are both from WB. At least Mike had a limited OW so managed expectations.

Almost every opener has met or surpassed expectations or at least had a low budget if they disappointed (Cabin).

If I were Mattel leadership, I'd be very worried and take over the Barbie marketing campaign from WB. :funny:

Ant-Man?

Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:34 pm
Extraordinary

I'd put Ant Man had #3 but you're right. I don't think it's at a Shazam or MM3 level though as its still gone up from its predecessors and still looks good for $215M+. The quality, expectations and budget were significant so I put Shazam at 5X worse than AntMan box office wise.

Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:41 pm
Profile WWW
Wall-E

O wrote:
I'd put Ant Man had #3 but you're right. I don't think it's at a Shazam or MM3 level though as its still gone up from its predecessors and still looks good for $215M+. The quality, expectations and budget were significant so I put Shazam at 5X worse than AntMan box office wise.

Shazam is definitely worse, no doubt about it, but it's still a disappointment. Moreso worldwide than DOM though, ending below #1 is not good.

Shazam is a very good contender for worst run of the year and we're only in march :zonks:

Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:42 pm
Hold the door!

Don’t forget knock at the cabin. Closing with what we thought it would potentially open with

Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:03 pm
Quality is a great business plan

O wrote:

Shabomb is the worst for sure. It bombed not just domestic but in every market it opened in. Wont even do 150m WW which is terrible for a light SH flick. It was also sequel to supposedly well received 1st movie !!!

That said Ant 3 has worse long term impact. That also has disappointed in BO big time WW. Big drop from Ant 2. Plus it introduced next big baddie in MCU and that has not worked out well. it definitely has worse long term impact for MCU than say Shazam bombing for DCU where I am sure Shazam wont be in the picture. DCU success or failure is dependent on how Superman Legacy does. We will only know in 2 years.

I used to be shawman.

Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3