Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 The Little Mermaid > BATB OW of $174m *CLUB* 
Confessing on a Dance Floor

Post Re: The Little Mermaid > BATB OW of $174m *CLUB*
24 movies ever have had 38 or more days over $1M consecutively?

How many had 37 or more? I'm sure thousands of movies have made it to 14 days. I wonder where it starts to be more of an elite group. 24 days? 31 days?

Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:48 pm
Extraordinary

I just saw an article comparing the run of this to the billion dollar live action films and idk... with how mishandled Disney has treated its blockbusters and Disney+ I think domestically this did extremely well. Overseas is where it didn't do what it should've.

Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:45 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Internationally is where the casting choice hurt it the most. Latinos, Asians, Middle Easterns, Eastern Euros don't want to see white redhead Ariel turned into a black girl. It straight up BOMBED in many markets where it would've been huge otherwise.

Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:53 am
now we know

Barrabás wrote:
Internationally is where the casting choice hurt it the most. Latinos, Asians, Middle Easterns, Eastern Euros don't want to see white redhead Ariel turned into a black girl. It straight up BOMBED in many markets where it would've been huge otherwise.

Yes. You can tell that black is only a sell domestically when The Little Mermaid, Creed III, and Across the Spider- Verse all have over 50% domestic share. All other big movies follow the usual larger international share.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:53 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Mr. Reynolds wrote:
24 movies ever have had 38 or more days over $1M consecutively?

How many had 37 or more? I'm sure thousands of movies have made it to 14 days. I wonder where it starts to be more of an elite group. 24 days? 31 days?

I did look into this and felt that 38 was a crunch point of sorts.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:55 am
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

Algren wrote:
Look who's entered this list! And Spider-Verse 2 will be added to it later as well.

CONSECUTIVE DAYS OVER $1 MILLION:

39 The Little Mermaid (2023)
38 American Sniper
38 Apollo 13
38 Avengers: Endgame
38 Beauty and the Beast (2017)
38 Bruce Almighty
38 The Dark Knight Rises
38 Deadpool
38 Elvis
38 Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
38 Inception
38 Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
38 Knocked Up

:towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel:

Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:35 am
Veteran

Barrabás wrote:

Serious question. Why is that? Do these cultures…really like white people? Would the reaction have been the same if she was Latino or Asian?

I was blind, but now I see.

Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:53 am
now we know

lilmac wrote:
Barrabás wrote:

Serious question. Why is that? Do these cultures…really like white people? Would the reaction have been the same if she was Latino or Asian?

I can't speak for all cultures, but the Chinese are pretty damn straight-up racist about it. They see black people as an inferior species. I've heard some terrible things said about black people, and not in explosive anger or anything, it's in daily conversation. It's just how they feel about it and there's nobody there to say otherwise so they don't feel like their opinions need to be whispered. So that's black people. But ANY people with darker skin are looked down upon, particularly their own Chinese people. Traditionally, or even still now, people that work outdoors in the sun get darker skin, and those people are poorer than office dwellers. So that's your class divide in China. White skin is seen as clean, even if it's unhealthily pale, that's what they aspire to. I think in every Chinese person's mind they see the [white] west as better than China; more developed, progressive, etc. etc. and where China should be (if it weren't so badly run) and wants to be...and it's run by white people, so that's kind of like the gold standard for them.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:32 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Mermaid made it to 40 days, the same as Mario. :thumbsup:

CONSECUTIVE DAYS OVER $1 MILLION:

101 Titanic

80 Avatar
80 E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

75 Top Gun: Maverick

61 Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

59 Finding Nemo
54 Back to the Future
54 Ghostbusters
54 Jurassic Park
54 Shrek 2
52 Aladdin (2019)
52 Avatar: The Way of Water
52 The Avengers
52 Black Panther
52 The Hangover
52 Incredibles 2
52 Shrek
52 Toy Story 4

48 The Passion of the Christ
47 Coco
47 Frozen
47 Moana
47 Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
46 Batman
45 Avengers: Infinity War
45 The Blind Side
45 Bridesmaids
45 Cars
45 Frozen II
45 The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
45 Inside Out
45 Jurassic World
45 The Sixth Sense
45 Spider-Man
45 Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens
45 Toy Story 3
45 Up
45 Wonder Woman
43 Independence Day
41 Despicable Me
41 Finding Dory
41 The Secret Life of Pets
41 Spider-Man: Far from Home
41 Terminator 2: Judgment Day
40 The Dark Knight
40 Despicable Me 2
40 Despicable Me 3
40 Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
40 The Jungle Book (2016)
40 The Little Mermaid (2023)
40 Minions: The Rise of Gru
40 Spider-Man 2
40 The Super Mario Bros. Movie

39 A Star Is Born (2018)
39 Iron Man
39 Joker
38 American Sniper
38 Apollo 13
38 Avengers: Endgame
38 Beauty and the Beast (2017)
38 Bruce Almighty
38 The Dark Knight Rises
38 Deadpool
38 Elvis
38 Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
38 Inception
38 Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
38 Knocked Up
38 Kung Fu Panda
38 The Lion King (2019)
38 Maleficent
38 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
38 The Proposal
38 Ratatouille
38 Saving Private Ryan
38 Shrek the Third
38 Spider-Man: Homecoming
38 Spider-Man: No Way Home
38 Wedding Crashers
38 Zootopia

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:34 am
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

:towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :smoke:

Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:50 am
The Kramer

Spiderverse will probably end up at 47/48. I doubt the streak survives Barbenheimer Thursday.

Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:36 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

lilmac wrote:
Barrabás wrote:

I can only speak for Latinos as one of them and I grew up partly in Latin America, but the feeling I've always had is that they're just not very interested in black people outside of special cases of big international stars like Will Smith or Eddie Murphy. But the average black Hollywood celebrity.... they just don't have any interest in seeing them. There aren't a ton of black people in Latin America. Brazil is a separate universe because of the Portuguese language divide so it doesn't count. Same reason Jordan Peele's movies flop internationally compared to America. With Little Mermaid I can tell you for sure they won't be as interested. White as the beauty ideal is pretty hardcore ingrained into society there since the time of colonialism, all the people in magazines and telenovelas are on the whiter side of latinos. There's also a lot of casual racism and no one bats an eye. So all this combines to create a situation where a movie like Little Mermaid, which is going to be a wish fulfillment fantasy for little girls the same way superhero movies are a wish fulfillment fantasy for boys, just doesn't appeal to its target audience because of the casting choice. Disney executives in California in a super progressive environment aren't even aware of this and perhaps no one even wants to bring it up. Or they think their marketing muscle and nostalgia can overpower it, but I don't think so as the box office shows. This should've been a billion grosser like BATB/Aladdin/Lion King.

Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:49 pm
Romosexual!

Barrabás wrote:
lilmac wrote:
Barrabás wrote:

I can only speak for Latinos as one of them and I grew up partly in Latin America, but the feeling I've always had is that they're just not very interested in black people outside of special cases of big international stars like Will Smith or Eddie Murphy. But the average black Hollywood celebrity.... they just don't have any interest in seeing them. There aren't a ton of black people in Latin America. Brazil is a separate universe because of the Portuguese language divide so it doesn't count. Same reason Jordan Peele's movies flop internationally compared to America. With Little Mermaid I can tell you for sure they won't be as interested. White as the beauty ideal is pretty hardcore ingrained into society there since the time of colonialism, all the people in magazines and telenovelas are on the whiter side of latinos. There's also a lot of casual racism and no one bats an eye. So all this combines to create a situation where a movie like Little Mermaid, which is going to be a wish fulfillment fantasy for little girls the same way superhero movies are a wish fulfillment fantasy for boys, just doesn't appeal to its target audience because of the casting choice. Disney executives in California in a super progressive environment aren't even aware of this and perhaps no one even wants to bring it up. Or they think their marketing muscle and nostalgia can overpower it, but I don't think so as the box office shows. This should've been a billion grosser like BATB/Aladdin/Lion King.

DAMN! that racism

Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:28 am
The Kramer

It does feel like America is the only nation that feels compelled to lift black people up as a way to make up for the millions of times it kept them down. I guess I can see why other countries don't really care about our politics and guilt. But to just straight up not see it? That's weird.

I think the movie just needed an actual star. Alice had Depp, Aladdin had Smith, Beast had Watson (not a huge star on her own, but the Potter crowd was hungry for a new event film.) People love Bardem but he's in everything and McCarthy is/was only a draw as a certain type of character. Wasn't Harry Styles supposed to be Eric at one point? That's exactly what they needed.

Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:11 pm
Devil's Advocate

I don't think Disney should feel that bad about TLM performance or how their strategy paid off. It couldn't do a BATB because the Disney remake gimmick is old and overall 2010s franchise era is fading. They can come out of it with borderline profitability in theatres and then take the D+ viewers on top of that as a net W, if a marginal one.

Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:45 pm
Extraordinary

Disney announced TLM for Disney+ on Labor Day.

This seems like such a lame decision.

It would have gotten a bump over that weekend in theaters and maybe helps it crawl to $300M. Students are going back to school right after.

I feel like a $300M milestone would help it in so many ways but they pretty much threw The Haunted Mansion out now so they could have it on Disney+ for Halloween.

Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:03 pm
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

Maybe Disney didn’t want to payout bonuses if the movie topped $300 million domestic.
The studios are greedy….especially now during the strike. They want to fuck over the writers & actors any way they can.

Or some other reason :lol:

Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:11 pm
Hold the door!

Ultimately this didn’t completely yank, but I’m sure Disney expected it would at least gross a good bit more than half of Aladdin worldwide.

Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:40 pm
Veteran

Barrabás wrote:
lilmac wrote:
Barrabás wrote:

Totally agree with the belief that Disney thinks their marketing muscle will overpower racism, wokism, progressivism, etc. I believe they are finally coming to realize that that isn't the case at all. With that said, The Little Mermaid, like Aladdin, initially sparked doubts about its boxoffice performance but in the end did better than expected.

Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:11 am
Veteran

O wrote:
Disney announced TLM for Disney+ on Labor Day.

This seems like such a lame decision.

It would have gotten a bump over that weekend in theaters and maybe helps it crawl to $300M. Students are going back to school right after.

I feel like a $300M milestone would help it in so many ways but they pretty much threw The Haunted Mansion out now so they could have it on Disney+ for Halloween.

I doubted $300M weeks ago because of the boxoffice decay but what surprised me were the theater drops. I'm surprised Disney gave up so early. They could have eked out $300M if they used their leverage to hold onto screen counts. I don't think the Labor Day weekend would have been enough to bump it to $300M without a significant increase in theaters. Shame b/c TLM definitely could have gotten to that milestone with more effort on the part of Disney. Ugh. The film deserved it too.

Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:27 am
Veteran

Rev wrote:
Maybe Disney didn’t want to payout bonuses if the movie topped $300 million domestic.
The studios are greedy….especially now during the strike. They want to fuck over the writers & actors any way they can.

Or some other reason :lol:

Ah yes. I hadn't considered studio vindictiveness. Maybe.

Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:28 am
Extraordinary

This deserved to do on the level of BatB and TLK tbh. At least this film improved some story elements.

Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:46 am
Wall-E

publicenemy#1 wrote:
This deserved to do on the level of BatB and TLK tbh. At least this film improved some story elements.

More like BatB and TLK deserved to do on the level of this one, and if you ask me, less :ninja:

Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:31 am
Extraordinary

Getting a sing along release this Friday. Less than $2.8m to 300m so could get there with Cinema day!

Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:15 pm
Extraordinary

Friday from 1600 theaters is $90,000 and $297,335,905 total. Many kids were in school so still up in the air but $2.664M to get to $300M. It also has Labor Day next weekend so Disney will probably find a magical way to get it to $300M somehow. At the very least it can probably eek $298M with Sunday. Labor Day maybe another $400K and dailies $100K for say $298.5M. Will still be $1.5M away but ever so closer.

Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:42 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next