Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Air - Box Office Potential 
Extraordinary

Post Air - Box Office Potential
Trailer just came out. It's also getting a $7M Superbowl ad and Amazon is doing a theatrical release. For a movie that was announced on the release calendar not that long ago feels like it's getting a mega push. If it gets a real movie release, could do much better than The Last Duel and more of a Good Will Hunting. Would not be shocked by $100M+ here especially since people are so obsessed with sneakers these days feel it could resonate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2ZQluAdjC8

Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:38 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Post Re: Air - Box Office Potential
Don’t think 100m is happening unless reviews are amazing but a 20-25m OW and 70-90m total is in reach

Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:31 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

A superbowl spot is perfect for this.

I think it can flirt with $100m

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:37 pm
now we know

Yeah, I don't know guys. Don't let "Sister Christian" fool you. I think it can make some money, but it doesn't look like the type of film that does $100 million. This isn't a Michael Jordan biopic. It's too business-y, behind-the-scenes, and its dowdy and plaid 70/80s office style isn't appealing. Affleck and Damon are not really a sell much these days either, and no actual appearance by a Michael Jordan character (or even basketball scenes!).

I'm thinking $35 million tops, and that would be great for it.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:14 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

100 mil+ with good word of mouth

Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:05 pm
Wallflower

I doubt Amazon puts out official box office numbers for it anyway. It's cool they're giving it such a big release though. I hope they do that more often.

Hopefully they will also give a theatrical release to Red, White & Royal Blue whenever they release that. The book is huge. They should release it during pride month.

Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:19 pm
Hold the door!

Aren’t Amazon movies distributed theatrically by United Artists who DOES report numbers?

Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:30 pm
now we know

If this makes $100 million, whether distributed by Amazon or not, they'll definitely be reporting numbers.

But I feel this will not break out. I think it will fall into the 'white men profiting off black stories' stigma.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:08 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

zwackerm wrote:
Aren’t Amazon movies distributed theatrically by United Artists who DOES report numbers?

I guess we did used to get them in the beginning so we probably will with this. I was thinking of Being The Ricardos, The Tender Bar, Nanny, Good Night Oppy and other recent ones.

Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:14 am
Extraordinary

Saw 4M+ Youtube views in 13 hours for this so think there is an audience here that will watch it in theaters. It's a lot more commercially appealing as the film that united Ben and Matt than The Last Duel was.

Also worth mentioning, Affleck directed it so if they score here with critics and audiences could be a 2023 awards contender.

Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:17 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

This and Ford vs Ferrari have exact same audience.

Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:16 am
now we know

Shack wrote:

That's not accurate. Men generally love cars and racing. Men generally do not love sneakers, and even if they do they don't care about a sneaker's origin story.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:21 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Algren wrote:
Shack wrote:

That's not accurate. Men generally love cars and racing. Men generally do not love sneakers, and even if they do they don't care about a sneaker's origin story.

Think this is very wrong at least in North America. Sneakers are a new status symbol like cars, watches, art etc. People are obsessed with sneakers here and the resell market has gone up dramatically in the last few years. The longest lineups you see now aren't for Apple products like it used to be, its usually for new sought after sneakers.

A lot of the buzz was driven by the Jordan Netflix special as well. A story about Jordan's rise with Nike is going to target that same audience. Not saying Air will be a success but if its good there's lots of $$$ on the table here.

"Research firm Piper Sandler estimates that the resale market grew to $10 billion in 2020 from $6 billion in 2019. The aforementioned Cowen report also projected the resale market could reach $30 billion by 2030."

More here that I found:
https://www.kiplinger.com/investing/wea ... ale-market

Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:51 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

I'm open to being wrong here, I just don't see it right now. From the trailer I saw, it's not about Michael Jordan's rise at all. Do we even see him in the trailer? It feels squarely focused on the Nike marketing team. It feels like a topic that can be successful (or hyped to have been) on Netflix but when it comes to getting people to the cinema to buy a ticket, people pass on it. We'll find out in just two months who's right.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:04 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Ford v. Ferrari - one of my favorite films of the 2010s - had adrenaline charged racing. it action. Quick editing. Thrills. Etc.

Not seeing this here.

Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:54 pm
Extraordinary

Raves from SXSW and supposed to be a huge crowd pleaser. EEAAO launched at SXSW last year so definitely a good sign for its long term potential and possible awards attention.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/air- ... 235558722/

Some initial Twitter responses from critics and people who have seen it:

Quote:
2023 went out on the highest note with “AIR” — EXCELLENT MOVIE! A rousing, feel-good crowd-pleaser about risk, trust, confidence & family! AMAZING CAST & BEN AFFLECK directed the hell out of it! It’s a SLAM DUNK & the BEST MOVIE of the year so far, by far!

Quote:
Funny, energetic, and beautifully written, AIR is an absolute winner. The large ensemble cast delivers powerful performances, but it’s Ben Affleck’s unbeatable optimism as a storyteller that shines. He champions not just Michael Jordan but all the people who believe in him

Quote:
Ben Affleck’s ‘AIR’ is one of the best experiences I've had in a movie theater.

Quote:
Entertaining, Hilarious, Hopeful, and the best movie of the year so far. Ben Affleck is amazing and extraordinary as a Director.

Quote:
An EMOTIONAL triumph! Ben Affleck does it again, directing a well crafted film with EXCELLENT performances that will blow you in more ways than one. WOW. This isn’t just another sports movie, it’s one of the best biopics ever! A journey what’s next

Quote:
Chalk another win for Ben Affleck. The ensemble is great, top to bottom. Does well balancing the Nike of it all with MJ’s signing, finding a thematic core about the milestone in sports merchandising history. #SXSW

Quote:
Ben Affleck’s #AIR just got probably the biggest standing ovation of #SXSW

Quote:
@BenAffleck has done it again - incredible cast & performances

Quote:
There’s nothing particularly special about #AIR. Follows the sports movie playbook but a murderer’s row of character actors doing their thing and energetic direction from Ben Affleck make this a solid “dad” movie. Wouldn’t be surprised if people love this.

Quote:
Can’t express enough how much I loved AIR. There’s so much more to this movie than the trailer lets on. An incredible achievement by all involved.

Quote:
AIR is the most fun I’ve had in the movies in a long time. The audience loved every single second of it. Ending #sxsw on a perfect note!

Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:40 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Yeah I could feel it coming. Affleck knows how to make an entertaining movie.

Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:59 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

re: Ford V Ferrari, agree with Algren. They are not directly comparable. The car racing and historic aspects (Ferrari, Shelby, Ford etc.) in addition to the cars themselves play a big part. It's a also a different type of film - more an actioner than Air.

That said - I'm looking forward to this. The early word is indeed promising.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:06 pm
Hold the door!

Thinking it can do like 20m OW now. The biggest opening for a straight drama post pandemic for sure

Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:24 pm
Hold the door!

This has Oscar worthy reviews. Could be our first real contender of the year

Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:36 am
Extraordinary

The only big question mark for me is based on an interview I heard Michael Jordan is 100% not in the movie as a character and its about the magic of MJ with much of the story about Michael's parents and the Nike team. Will audiences feel slighted by no MJ in here?

If its a fun and good movie I don't think it will be a dealbreaker. It's being called one of the best sports movies made of all time so I think we have a mega breakout here though not on OW if its lost in the Mario hoopla. People could also embrace the sense of hope and the message it embodies.

It should be marketed everywhere during March Madness so think that could give it a nice boost.

What's clear is Viola seems like the first certainty for a best actress Oscar nod.

Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]