Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Mean Girls Musical 
Extraordinary

Post Mean Girls Musical
So today's October 3rd unofficially Mean Girls Day.

Paramount released the ENTIRE first movie in 23 parts on Tiktok earlier today. The movie musical comes out in January 2024.

How big will that movie be? Feel the Tiktok move was pretty brilliant to drum up more appeal for the Jan. release, especially with younger demos.

Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:30 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Mean Girls Musical
I always thought it was interesting that there is so much that’s changed technology wise since 04 for high schoolers, MG caught the last wave before social media (or even cell phones), I’ll be interested to see how they handle it or ignore it.

Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:07 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Mega bomb. No one wants to see a musical based on this. A sequel with Lohan, Fey and McAdams on the other hand...

Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:34 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Shack wrote:
I always thought it was interesting that there is so much that’s changed technology wise since 04 for high schoolers, MG caught the last wave before social media (or even cell phones), I’ll be interested to see how they handle it or ignore it.

Social media yes (although Superbad and Juno also did not feature social media as that was in the very very early days), cell phones no. There's a memorable scene involving cell phones in the film where Regina calls a girl's mom to pretend her daughter is pregnant.

Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:35 am
Devil's Advocate

Barrabás wrote:
Shack wrote:

Social media yes (although Superbad and Juno also did not feature social media as that was in the very very early days), cell phones no. There's a memorable scene involving cell phones in the film where Regina calls a girl's mom to pretend her daughter is pregnant.

I just remember the 4 way call scene using landline style (Although wireless). Texting also would have been bigger part of it a short time later.

Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:40 am
Extraordinary

I saw the musical last year and forgot almost all of it lol

I think it'll open well though.

Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:23 pm
Wallflower

I hope they have a trailer ready to show with Taylor Swift.

Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:03 pm
Extraordinary

First tracking is coming out for Mean Girls and its VERY, VERY good. Surpassing many of these holiday openers.

Double digit in unaided awareness among older and younger women over and under 25, tracking right now at a $27M+ 4day MLK OW.

It seems like Paramount is following Barbie's marketing playbook here. Releasing the movie fully on TikTok as well in October was smart. I feel like this is looking like the first $100M+ movie of 2024. The virality aspect here is going to be big and this could turn into a massive event.

If this is how the musical is doing a legit sequel with the full original cast could probably challenge $200M. Also interesting if we see Wonka AND the Color Purple AND Mean Girls all do $big business in just 4 week period. Combine that with Eras / Renaissance / Trolls / Wish and we'll have had a packed musical 3 months! Add in TLM and possibly $1B+ of this year's box office could maybe come from musicals!

Tickets went on sale for Mean Girls last week. Jan 10 will have ‘On Wednesdays We Wear Pink Early Access Screening Event’ screenings.

Bucket Listers city guide (15M+ reach) is planning Mean Girls Experience similar to sold out success of Malibu Barbie Cafe and Golden Girls Kitchen, giving fans a chance to experience North Shore High School like never before in LA on Jan. 12 and NYC on Jan. 19.

https://deadline.com/2023/12/mean-girls ... 235679710/

@Keyser, fill us in on what you're seeing when you get any numbers on this one please! :D

Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:32 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I'd love to see it do well. But it's annoying they're trying to hide that it's a musical. They make it look like it's just a remake of the original. Technically it is, but it's a musical. That's what sets it apart. A regular remake of the first isn't needed.

That being said, I'll definitely see it. Should be fun.

Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:52 am
Extraordinary

The trailers are so bad. God. I'm sure the movie is fine but yeesh

That said, this will probably be an event for women so will open well

Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:25 pm
Devil's Advocate

This many hit musicals in a row would be wild.

Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:43 pm
Extraordinary

There is a virality factor here that is promising. I wouldn't be surprised to see the studio set up the four originals to show up together to watch the musical at the premiere. If 3/4 were willing to do the Walmart ad I feel like they'd have time to go here.

Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:52 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]