Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Super Mario Bros. predictions 

How well will it do?
$500+ million 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
$450+ million 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
$400+ million 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
$350+ million 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
$300+ million 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
$250+ million 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
$200+ million 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
$150+ million 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
$100+ million 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Under $100 million 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

Super Mario Bros. predictions 
now we know

Post Super Mario Bros. predictions

So this comes out on 7th April 2023. I can see this being massive. Lovely poster. Doesn't even need a title. Awaiting the teaser trailer later today.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:07 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Re: Super Mario Bros. predictions
Yeah this is opening Easter and will be huge. Feels like one of those toy/game company ventures like Transformers (Hasbro), The Lego Movie (Lego) and Sonic (Sega) that breaks out.

$300m+ is on the cards of the teaser is good.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:48 am
Romosexual!

I hope it DOUBLES Sonic 2's $190m domestic gross

:D MARIO IS KING! :D

Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:23 am
now we know

I reckon it can be Illumination's highest-grossing film, but I will be conservative pre-trailer and go with $350 million. If the trailer impresses me then I'll go for more than The Secret Life of Pets' $368 million.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:11 am
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

TRAILER IS COMING OUT TODAY AT 4:05PM EST

Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:58 am
Hold the door!

Trailer was decent but doesn't scream enormous breakout to me. 200m+ will be great for it

Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:14 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Should easily bust past Pikachu. Possibly $800-1 bil WW

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:29 pm
Devil's Advocate

I loved it. 500 million+.

Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:01 pm
Extraordinary

This is my fav to win the year 2023. Just going to be massive domestically and globally.

Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:24 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I’m not convinced there’s demand for this, or that they actually have a story to tell that will translate to high demand or ‘must-see’ status.

Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:43 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Pokemon wasn't as huge as expected, but maybe that was down to the somewhat bizarre detective angle and charisma and attractiveness vacuum Justice Smith being cast as the lead, instead of having Ash, Brook and Misty like everyone wanted.

So I think the floor is probably $120-$150M even if it's horrible just due to sheer band power. Ceiling could be REALLY high if it turns out to be great. Like $500M+ high.

Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:58 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Steve wrote:
I’m not convinced there’s demand for this, or that they actually have a story to tell that will translate to high demand or ‘must-see’ status.

I think this will be the main challenge, to translate it into an emotionally resonant storyline. Transformers faced a similar obstacle and they found a genius way to make it relatable by having the "teenager finds out his first car is actually a giant robot from space" angle.

Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:02 pm
Devil's Advocate

Barrabás wrote:
Steve wrote:

I think this will be the main challenge, to translate it into an emotionally resonant storyline. Transformers faced a similar obstacle and they found a genius way to make it relatable by having the "teenager finds out his first car is actually a giant robot from space" angle.

That’s why I like pushing Bowser in the teaser. Now you have as much of a plot as a Marvel movie really.

Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:15 pm
Romosexual!

It looks great & fun. Hate that Chris Pratt is voicing Mario but I’ll get over it.

Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:29 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Yeah, the only thing I didn't like in the teaser was Pratt's obvious voice as Mario. It was just a small sample, though, so maybe he's put more effort into voice acting for this role and not just talking mostly as himself for most of the film. Black, on the other hand, sounds great. He was already expected to be the highlight, and he seems to be delivering.

I'm pretty optimistic. Nintendo is extremely protective of their IPs, have been for the past 2/2.5 decades and increasingly so, and I highly doubt they'd allow Illumination to make a poorly received, low-quality film. Might not be amazing, but chances it's bad seem very slim.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:40 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Super Mario is the best-selling video game franchise of all time. Add in multi-demographic appeal spanning generations back to the 80s, Illumination's track record (avg. gross is $261,723,961 across 12 films), global appeal of the brand, breathing room with an April release, and the fact that the live action Super Mario was so reviled that there's never been a true quality Super Mario movie, it's got all the ingredients for a mega breakout.

On Corpse's earlier point, completely agree. After the bad impact of the live action Mario on the IP, as well as the fact they pushed the movie back to improve it, Nintendo isn't going to ship a bad quality Mario movie. They have too much on the line.

Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:47 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Well, I think it looks amazing. I don't understand any of you guys' criticisms. It's going to become Illumination's highest-grossing movie. More than $370 million, possibly over $400 million if the road to release has no hiccups.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:58 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Regarding Pratt, what I just read on Twitter that someone shared is most likely accurate (fits the Mario origin story (something Nintendo would appreciate) and explains the voice):

Using a tag here just in case there's someone unfamiliar with Super Mario, because it's quite plausible.

Spoiler: show
In the real world, Pratt (presumably a plumber) gets teleported (warps) to the Mushroom Kingdom somehow (his "what is this place?" line in the teaser) and appears as classic Mario (the character). There, he goes on an adventure (with Toad) to help rescue Princess Peach and restore peace to the Mushroom Kingdom which was recently conquered by Bowser.

The basic Mario storyline.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:09 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

That seems to make a lot of sense. Kind of like how Playmobil: The Movie mixes the real world with the fantasy world (and to a lesser degree, The LEGO Movie). I wonder if that means Pratt will be an Italian man with a big black moustache in the real world, lol.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:24 pm
Profile WWW

I mean, I went from dreading it as a huge Nintendo fan, to kinda looking forward to it, at least for my son. It looks childish, but honestly the main market is children. I think it can be a huge hit. Like m, people are talking about it, Mario is one of the most recognizable icons in pop culture, and it looks like the team put their all into it. Most important, it looks faithful to a brand that has been wild sly successful in the past. Are we starting a Billion dollar club? Because we should (WW of course)

Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:04 pm
Extraordinary

Saw Super Mario World will be opening in early 2023 at Universal Hollywood as well.

I can see why moving the movie to 2023 makes a lot sense. A new theme park in CA (with another coming in FL soon) along with the movie launch is going to be pretty helpful in driving up buzz.

The press of the movie will help the theme park and vice versa as families plan their summer vacations.

2023 will be the summer of Mario it's looking like in more ways than one. Assume they're also going to do some video game launches along with the movie + theme park as well.

Good to see a major franchise that isn't owned by Disney!

Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:38 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Algren wrote:
That seems to make a lot of sense. Kind of like how Playmobil: The Movie mixes the real world with the fantasy world (and to a lesser degree, The LEGO Movie). I wonder if that means Pratt will be an Italian man with a big black moustache in the real world, lol.

Is this going to be animated all the way through or will there be live action parts where we see the voice actors?

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:39 pm
now we know

MadGez wrote:
Algren wrote:

Is this going to be animated all the way through or will there be live action parts where we see the voice actors?

It's one of the theories going around, and I think it makes sense to have a tiny real-world opening sequence then the rest of the movie is in animated Mario land.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:45 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Looks good! I see slightly higher Sonic 2 numbers. Around $200M domestic.

I was blind, but now I see.

Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:22 am
Romosexual!

Corpse wrote:
Regarding Pratt, what I just read on Twitter that someone shared is most likely accurate (fits the Mario origin story (something Nintendo would appreciate) and explains the voice):

Using a tag here just in case there's someone unfamiliar with Super Mario, because it's quite plausible.

Spoiler: show
In the real world, Pratt (presumably a plumber) gets teleported (warps) to the Mushroom Kingdom somehow (his "what is this place?" line in the teaser) and appears as classic Mario (the character). There, he goes on an adventure (with Toad) to help rescue Princess Peach and restore peace to the Mushroom Kingdom which was recently conquered by Bowser.

The basic Mario storyline.

I :wub2: :wub2: :wub2: :wub2: it!

It’s simple like the first game that we ALL love :D

Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next