Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 smile previews 
The Kramer

Post Re: smile previews
Magic Mike wrote:
Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Up to $22.7M. $8M over It Follows entire run in just 3.5 days.

I know the movie basically rips off that movie and The Ring but it's still a weird Box Office comparison for this. That was not a heavily marketed mainstream movie. Wasn't even supposed to go wide until it killed it in limited release. That one did quite well for basically coming out of nowhere into wide release for a lot of people.
Oh I was just pointing out how "remaking" it with a budget was a smart idea.

Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:46 pm
now we know

Barrabás wrote:
You seem to have a personal issue here, that you don't believe homophobia could happen behind closed doors and influence decisions of who gets promoted as a star or not. That's on you.

I just don't believe there's homophobia as you describe it. It's mostly just business. And I don't believe such a niche as gay people need to be thrown so many bones. They make up a very small percentage of any society. If you want your movie to flop, make the lead character a homosexual. Now why would any studio executive actually do that? Just to pat themselves on the back? Pats on the back don't pay the bills.

The gay community, for its size, has been given ample content. Unless you're telling me that gay people can ONLY enjoy films about being gay. Otherwise there's loads of stuff for them to enjoy. If they indeed do ONLY enjoy films about being gay, maybe the billions of gays should buy a ticket for Bros to prove this type of film makes business sense. But alas, nobody showed up. Where's the homophobia? Should studios still make their lead characters in blockbusters gay? Even though it's proven time and time again that it seriously hurts a film's prospects? If gayness can't be a success in a small film, why the hell would a studio take a risk on a blockbuster? "Just try it, you never know, you homophobe!" isn't a business strategy.

I just think this idea of studios being homophobic is such a cop-out. Such victim mentality.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:06 am
Profile WWW
now we know

So Smile increased by $600k!! On top of its great estimate, its actual is even better.

And the opposite happened with Don't Worry Darling, dropping even further with actuals. :funny:

Bros couldn't hold the #4 spot. I assume Avatar increased. I guess all the homophobes saw it on Sunday night ;)

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:18 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Yes. No more gays in films. Yes. Absolutely.

Jesus.

Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:14 pm
Hold the door!

Billy Eichner is probably one of the most obnoxious public figures. Look at his Twitter, brimming with elitism and dogma. Exactly the type of person anyone outside of LA/NY wants to see a movie from

Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:24 pm
now we know

publicenemy#1 wrote:
Yes. No more gays in films. Yes. Absolutely.

Jesus.

I'm sorry but that's not at all what I said. Maybe don't comment if you can't grasp nuance of an argument.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:01 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

MadGez wrote:
Eichner's recent rant blaming straight audiences for not showing up and thus the film bombing only highlights a disconnect with reality and part of the reason audiences stayed away. The product just wasn't appealing, and audiences were under no obligation to go see it as he seems to assume.
I feel like he would have sent that same tweet even if the movie did well, like say $15M. "Oh we only made half of Knocked Up cause straight people..." Was always gonna be part of the marketing.

Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:17 pm
now we know

"Straight people, especially in certain parts of the country, just didn't show up for The Happytime Murders". Also true.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:25 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

It's quite bad that Don't Worry Darling's second weekend is the same as The Woman King's third weekend, and they both opened with $19 million (Don't Worry Darling was even a litter higher).

Don't Worry Darling also opened with $9 million more than a re-release of Avatar, and their second weekend totals are separated by just $1.8 million.

It's going to finish with a pathetic total for a film opening to $19 million. It won't even crack $50 million. Will it even reach Death on the Nile?

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:13 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Strong weekday #'s from Smile so far. $2,981,567 on Tuesday.

Black Phone had $3,218,650 from a $23.7M OW but that was with schools out.

It's got intense competition with Halloween but definitely feel it could have some decent legs. Could be just under $50M by the end of this weekend. Canadian Thanksgiving + Columbus Day will also help as July 4th weekend did for BP.

Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:03 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Worth sharing, Smile passed $100M with Wed #'s!

Smile $302,435 -22.4% 3,046 $99 $100,182,400

Amazing for a horror movie post Halloween to still show these legs and get to $100M+ off of a $22,609,925 OW and $8,234,402 opening day. From a $115M total, it will have done 7.1% of its total on opening day.

By comparison, Halloween will have made 30.8% of its total on opening day. :funny:

Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:27 am
Profile WWW
now we know

It's done amazingly well. I don't think it will reach $115 million, though it doesn't need to. I expect it will get to around The Lost City's total and end its run. But if it beats Bullet Train, I'd say that is some feat. It instantly becomes the biggest film of the 2+ months from the end of July to when Black Adam opened, and it's only a small horror that was intended for streaming.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:39 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3