Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 why has Top Gun: Maverick seemingly become the first summer 
Extraordinary

Post Re: why has Top Gun: Maverick seemingly become the first sum
So sorry for your loss. It's been a difficult few years and hope their family and friends are doing ok.

Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:21 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

MadGez wrote:
On a sad note - a friend of mine who loved the original Top Gun and all things 80s/action/speed was looking forward to the sequel immensely.

Sadly - he took his own life in December 2020. Can't help wish that we got to see TGM together in 2020. :(

The last time I saw him (thanks to Covid lockdowns etc) was when a bunch of us caught up to see Ford v Ferrari in late 2019. A bittersweet memory looking back.

Thanks for sharing that kernel of memory. He sounds like a great friend.

I was blind, but now I see.

Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:41 pm
Romosexual!

MadGez wrote:
On a sad note - a friend of mine who loved the original Top Gun and all things 80s/action/speed was looking forward to the sequel immensely.

Sadly - he took his own life in December 2020. Can't help wish that we got to see TGM together in 2020. :(

The last time I saw him (thanks to Covid lockdowns etc) was when a bunch of us caught up to see Ford v Ferrari in late 2019. A bittersweet memory looking back.

Oh man, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:52 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Thanks guys. He is missed. Appreciate the kind words.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:52 pm
now we know

Every time I check its grosses, it amazes me. It ALWAYS has the best week-to-week drop among the Top 12. Even when I think something will be better, say Elvis, which is also doing great, Maverick pulls a few percentage points better. It just made $500k on Monday, which was a larger than expected drop of 37%. We've not seen a higher Monday w2w drop for the film since 11th July, but it still went back up to #3, so it was just an overall low-grossing Monday rather than being anything to do with Maverick itself.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:10 pm
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

Algren wrote:
Every time I check its grosses, it amazes me. It ALWAYS has the best week-to-week drop among the Top 12. Even when I think something will be better, say Elvis, which is also doing great, Maverick pulls a few percentage points better. It just made $500k on Monday, which was a larger than expected drop of 37%. We've not seen a higher Monday w2w drop for the film since 11th July, but it still went back up to #3, so it was just an overall low-grossing Monday rather than being anything to do with Maverick itself.

I thought it’d top $700 million during rerelease in November for Veterans Day :hahaha: NOT Labor Day this coming weekend!!

Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:58 pm
Extraordinary

Tuesday #: TGM $691,915 -23% $692,369,879 96

TGM is only 11.85% off of #1 Bullet Train despite being in its 96th day. If this were pre-streaming days it probably would play till Christmas and maybe until the Oscars.

Will be at $694M by the weekend. Could be at about $699M by Monday though if it gets enough of a Labor Day boost what a nice headline to have it at $700M this long weekend.

It has #5 in the bag and #25 on the all time adjusted list it looks like, just needs to get to $739M to get past The Godfather. BOM finally updated the adjusted list here! https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/top ... =bo_cso_ac

Hoping it gets a Veterans Weekend boost for another box office run + awards buzz generating before a Christmas push. It's box office and impact is just so huge though I can't see this miss a best picture nomination and dark horse best actor nomination for Cruise. The Academy will pander for ratings but TGM for it's level of achievement needs a presence at next year's Oscars. After what happened with Smith last year, rewarding Cruise with almost a lifetime achievement best actor Oscar would be a dramatic shift but if any year was the one for him to win or be in serious contention, this is it. Massive box office impact can tilt the conversation like it did for Bullock and The Blind Side but wouldn't be shocked if Cruise gets awards attention here.

Hard to know where this will end up but it's going to be shockingly closer to Avatar than I expected pre-re-release ahead of the sequel.

Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:37 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

What I expect to happen is Top Gun: Maverick will get ignored at the Oscars, then when Cruise is 75 he'll get a Best Actor nomination when it's too late. I feel this happens a lot with the Academy. They fail to recognise people for the roles they deserve to be recognised for, and instead years later for an obscure film they'll be recognised. Also, the fact that Cruise already has Oscar recognition might hurt his chances this year.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:12 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Paramount is expecting a good weekend. They put it back into 151 more cinemas, and again back over 3,000. Total in its fifteenth week is 3,113, which remarkably is only the sixth widest in release. Fingers crossed it top the weekend, but I feel Spidey will.

It's so close. Maverick is in one less cinema than The Invitation, two less than DC League of Super-Pets, and four less than Bullet Train.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:31 am
Profile WWW
now we know

15th weekend:
Top Gun: Maverick $5,500,000 +16% 3,113 +151 $1,767 $698,829,744

Only $1,596,822 left until the All-Time Top 5 returns to normalcy :D

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:56 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

Please hold at #1. Please hold at #1. Please hold at #1.

#1 in its 15th weekend! :hahaha: :noway:

Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:46 am
Wallflower

Maybe but it's close. I feel like it won't come out on top as much as I'd like it to. Estimates have Spider-Man at 6 Million and Top Gun at 5.495 Million for the 3-Day. 4-Day is 7.6 vs 7 Million.

Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:33 pm
Veteran

Ah well. #2 in its 15th weekend is incredible.

Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:27 pm
Veteran

#1 for the 4-day weekend!!!

15th weekend. Wow. It’s like ET all over again.

Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:10 pm
Wallflower

It looks like it's #1 for the 3-Day as well. Great news. :D

Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:09 pm
Forum General

This is the first film to be #1 on both Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends since at least 1980.

Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:15 pm
Extraordinary

Jiffy wrote:
This is the first film to be #1 on both Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends since at least 1980.

Saw on THR it's the first film ever to do it though can't see earlier weekend tallies.

This film really just has two more milestones left worth tracking at this point since $700M is in the bag. Top 25 all time ($739M) and $1.5B global which looks like it can leg itself to. Avatar at #4 isn't impossible but with a re-release feels too far off.

Given how crazy TGM's run has been, it's even crazier to imagine this is only its THIRD weekend at #1. A 13 week gap between #1 is ridiculous! :noway:

It's shocking how closely this is following TG (1986). 14 weekend gap between #1. 3 total weekends at #1.

51% increase for TG (1986) for the 4day weekend vs the previous 3day weekend. 67.3% for TGM though benefitted from the discount Sat.

Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:44 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

I think we're done with the milestones now. It's beaten Black Panther, reached $700 million. Everything is too far off.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:19 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Shout out to Jaws. $2.63M has to be a record for a movie’s 2,464th weekend, no? ;-)

Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:50 pm
now we know

I wonder when it'll have its first weekend under $1 million. Maybe Christmas? lol. I kid, but you just never know with this film!

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:46 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Per Deadline:

Quote:
While maintaining a robust theatrical run, Top Gun: Maverick also made its home entertainment debut August 23 and has already broken records as the No. 1 bestselling digital sell-through title ever in the U.S. its first week of release. It is among the 20 bestselling digital releases of all time after only one week.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:55 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

O wrote:
Jiffy wrote:

Saw on THR it's the first film ever to do it though can't see earlier weekend tallies.

Wonder if that is referring to the era in which we have comprehensive weekend data available.

If Variety's Top 50 markets chart is a reliable source to extrapolate to the national level then The Godfather may have been last to do it back in 1972.

Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:18 am
Veteran

Another $30M gets it close to Avatar's (for now) $760M. I can see TGM doing well with a re-release as soon as next year. That core audience will come back to theaters I think.

Avatar's $760M becomes say, $780M after this fall. $50M gap.

Could TGM threaten Avatar for #4 if it re-releases in 2023? Yes.

Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:27 am
Romosexual!

lilmac wrote:
Another $30M gets it close to Avatar's (for now) $760M. I can see TGM doing well with a re-release as soon as next year. That core audience will come back to theaters I think.

Avatar's $760M becomes say, $780M after this fall. $50M gap.

Could TGM threaten Avatar for #4 if it re-releases in 2023? Yes.

AVATAR is going to add $50 million domestic to it's total ;) TGM will need a couple re-release to catch it.

Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:02 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Avatar should be DSQ for all this re-release cheating!!! ;)

Wouldn't be surprised if Top Gun has sold around the same number of tickets or more than Avatar considering Avatar ticket prices were very high thanks to 3D/Imax.

It's fitting that Maverick is back at No.1 to end the summer. Would have hated if a Spidey re-release just beat it.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next