Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 8:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The Marvels Predictions 

How much will The Marvels gross in total?
Sub 250m 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
251-275m 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
276-300m 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
301-325m 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
326-350m 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
351-375m 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
376-400m 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
401-425m 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
426-449m 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
450m+ 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8

The Marvels Predictions 
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Marvels Predictions
General question for group discussion...

How bad does the MCU have to get to for Iger to boot Feige?

I think too much of the existing casts have loved Feige and MCU fanbase but if commercially the movies start losing Disney more and more money, could it get to that point?

To Disney's relief (and WB's) they'll be able to point to the other comic book movie disappointing as a reason why their movie disappointed (ie industry superhero fatigue) vs just being movies people didn't want to see or bad execution. I can see Aquaman also look better if Marvels flops and then Aquaman slightly overperformers a $200M total vs a $100-150M total for Marvels will make Aquaman look like a season "winner" even if its down significantly from it's predecessor.

Aquaman has an escape latch with the holidays and can benefit from Marvels disappointing but Marvels is going to get the brunt of bad press its looking like if it can't turn around in time.

Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:25 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I feel like the DC side also collapsing shows it’s bigger than MCU/Feige, though maybe MCU’s average quality post Endgame, tv show spamming and running out of heroes and ideas contributed to the whole thing sinking. I think the superhero genre needs to evolve, maybe become postmodern like how The Boys is popular right now. It would be a good time to recycle Watchmen again maybe.

Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:03 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Good, god. When are you gonna give up on pre sales projections, you've been wildly wrong consistently for 3 years now (Way too many factors, this isn't money ball.) You're usually in the 53-65% accuracy on the low end. You'd be better off throwing a dart at ranges and still get the same accuracy. I mean you were sure Swifty was gonna hit 150+ , 35 million for flowers, etc. I'm sorry to tell you this Keyser, you're always wrong, by a wide margin. But to be honest, You might be worse than comingsoon predictions, which are the absolute worst at the momebt,

Your pre sales tips are shit. I feel good I predicted 93 for Eras just on old school facts.I guess we will see on Freddy and Marvels, I say either commit (Your margins are way too big) Sorry if this is dickish, (Bring on the three instances you were right)

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:17 pm
Devil's Advocate

Thegun wrote:
Good, god. When are you gonna give up on pre sales projections, you've been wildly wrong consistently for 3 years now (Way too many factors, this isn't money ball.) You're usually in the 53-65% accuracy on the low end. You'd be better off throwing a dart at ranges and still get the same accuracy. I mean you were sure Swifty was gonna hit 150+ , 35 million for flowers, etc. I'm sorry to tell you this Keyser, you're always wrong, by a wide margin. But to be honest, You might be worse than comingsoon predictions, which are the absolute worst at the momebt,

Your pre sales tips are shit. I feel good I predicted 93 for Eras just on old school facts.I guess we will see on Freddy and Marvels, I say either commit (Your margins are way too big) Sorry if this is dickish, (Bring on the three instances you were right)

Idk, I think Keyser’s been pretty accurate, other than concert films breaking him due to being a whole different level of pre sales. Off the top of my head he was on top of Indy flopping and Guardians opening being moderately disappointing, and saw Barbie breakout coming although may could.

Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:21 am
Extraordinary

Also Keyser doesn't owe us anything. It's nice of him to share the presales data he gets access to.

Box office has a range of data points and so its part of that.

Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:09 am
Profile WWW
Quality is a great business plan

There is nothing to defend. If I could perfectly predict data weeks ahead based on a sample, I would bet instead of posting it here. Eras was extreme case of frontloading. By the release week I could see it open around 100m(I had posted the same in weekend prediction thread for week before last).Its a genre in itself and that too scale of which may not even happen for Renaissance. Otherwise trend of something wont be that far off. You can see a breakout weeks ahead and an underperformance also at similar timeframe. Shack above listed some of it. I could see Mario break out as well close to release but magnitude was still stunning. Walkups were simply out of the world. Indy 5 disappointing was crystal clear after day 2 of presales when it dropped 90%+ from already disappointing day 1.

MCU movies I have tracked in past 2 years have been fairly predictable. There is clear comps and its crystal clear Marvels has been performing terribly in comps with other movies. Not just data I could see but many other trackers/industry analysts. Look at this post in twitter.

https://twitter.com/Luiz_Fernando_J/sta ... 0259990789

Quote:
#Disney’s apparent lack of confidence in #TheMarvels is really giving me those #DarkPhoenix dejavus.
It was already concerning that the studio never considered to push the blockbuster back to 2024 despite of the strikes, almost as they didn’t think the film was worth fighting for - or at least trying to.

But now, apart from a very appalling final promo push so far, specially for a #MCU film, sequel to an 1.13B #BoxOffice hit called #CaptainMarvel (although to be fair the mouse at least attached #TheMarvels’ questionable trailer on both #Barbie & #TSTheErasTourFilm so ladies out there should know it’s coming out), the studio at least as of now won’t even allow social media reactions until the day it hits theatres in several markets overseas.

Currently, both social media reactions and critics’ full review embargo will be lifted only on early morning of WED, NOV 8, same day #TheMarvels kicks off its global rollout in several European & Asian markets such as #Korea, #HongKong, #France, #Italy, #Germany and others, and just one day before THU Previews happen in the US, very unusual for a MCU film (even #Endgame, which had the mission to keep secrets under wraps for as long as possible, allowed social media reactions on MON, 2 days before its rollout kick off and 3 days prior US Previews night).

But it’s not only #Disney that seems not that enthusiastic about the film. Pre-sales for #TheMarvels have been the weakest for an MCU film Post-Covid (yeah, even under #Eternals), what could denote lack of interest from general audiences in the new entry.

And for #Disney to be so adamant in preventing people from talking about the film prior to its release, it could mean that the studio might fear that WOM won’t do #TheMarvels any favors either.

And speaking of #DarkPhoenix, that movie grossed 65.8M in the US run back in 2019. Judging by current pre-sales, #TheMarvels faces a serious risk of opening not that much higher than that, specially if reactions and reviews don’t give it the sales boost it desperately needs.

Even I am not that negative. :funny:

I used to be shawman.

Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:37 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

I am grateful for Keyser’s presales info as well.

Marvels screamed flop the moment they announced the bizarre body switching the plot with those two nobodies.

Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:58 am

There is some chatter in internet that.

Spoiler: show
Kelsey grammer as Beast will appear in post credits.

I am amazed its generating the buzz but I will see how much it helps with ticket sales.

I used to be shawman.

Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:25 am
Extraordinary

Keyser Söze wrote:
There is some chatter in internet that.

Kelsey grammer as Beast will appear in post credits.

I am amazed its generating the buzz but I will see how much it helps with ticket sales.

Quote:
Saw that Frasier reboot had 2.2M viewers. I like that they are highly likely going to open up bringing the Xmen back but don't think this is buzzy enough to really save Marvels.

The Patrick Stewart reveal already took a bit of the impact here off since people are expecting Xmen to be the next big stage for MCU.

Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:34 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Because of the multiverse - these cameos are cheap. I don't think it will help much.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:53 pm

One would think the way certain franchise ended, they would not touch it with a barge pole. But that does not seem to be the true. Especially when you look at the biggest movie they will release in next year or so. There was no nostalgia for keaton coming back as bats at all. Why would there be any for a franchise that went on rock bottom.

I used to be shawman.

Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:01 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Shack wrote:
Thegun wrote:

Idk, I think Keyser’s been pretty accurate, other than concert films breaking him due to being a whole different level of pre sales. Off the top of my head he was on top of Indy flopping and Guardians opening being moderately disappointing, and saw Barbie breakout coming although may could.

He really isn’t, he’s no coming soon.net mind you, lol. I think it’s a great pool of data , but to use it for straight predictions (using it as “oh it can go from 60-110” without taking into account demographic, type of film, time of the month, etc. it’s more of a novelty. He had guardians disappointing at at sub 90 mind you. Sorry Keyser, It’s in the 60-80% usually. But I do think there is merit to the data. Sorry keyser for venting. I do think there is a secret sauce formula in there

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:06 pm

FYI I did not predict Guardians to open sub 90m. Early presales did indicate it was below Ant-man but I expected it to go up considering Gunn was directing it. Even in the Monthly game from Shack I predicted 111m or so. its previews came around the ballpark of what I expected. Its OW went above my expectations as WOM was even stronger and Disney did throw the kitchen sink in down early fan screenings a week before release which is something they had not done for years. Even pulled forward reviews by few days.

That said there is no perfect formula to predictions. You can only predict break outs or disappointments. Guardians was quite clear a disappointment considering Guardians 2 opened around 143 in 2017 and with all inflation plus really strong reviews/WOM it opened considerably lower. That showed the state of MCU.

Let us see how far Marvels go down. I am still bit skeptical it will go as low as what presales indicate today(sub 60m) but its not hitting 75m. That is a humongous drop from 1st movie and unprecendented drop for a MCU sequel which has no streaming impact as well. its not just me. Tracking is going down.

https://twitter.com/EmpireCityBO/status ... 1732415868

BO.com is saying 45-67m !!! having dropped 9% from the numbers from last week.

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range ... -napoleon/

I used to be shawman.

Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:02 am

Marvels presale data from other countries.

Mexico
Quote:

The Marvels 30 hours update

125 sold / 13,979 available

Across the Spiderverse (36 hours) - 4,876/19,284

Barbie (30 hours) - 2,627/22,440

The Little Mermaid (30 hours) - 449/11,662

If sub-$100M happens that would be a first for MCU since 2016's Dr Strange. Of course this excludes Shang-Chi which was released amidst pandemic but still below Eternals.

Brazil

Quote:

What is even happening to Marvels anymore. 5 days later and the number of tickets sold increased to only 12. It still haven't beat the first day of Flash and Blue Beetle, in fact, these 5 days are half of the first day of Transformers and less than 1/4 of the first day of Spiderverse.

I keep saying that is always wise not to bet against Marvel on Brazil and I stick to it, but so far the pre-sales over here are abysmal. Really really bad.

Australia
Quote:

The Marvels HOYTS T-29 Days

Previews - 155/32267

THU - 27/67122
FRI - 18/60763

Absolutely disaster.

I used to be shawman.

Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:59 am
Extraordinary

Am I reading it correctly that it sold 12 tickets at 1 theater report from Brazil, or 12 total tickets across the country of 200M? :funny:

I'll buy 12 tickets in Brazil and double it's sales if that's the case. :P

Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:02 am
Profile WWW

O wrote:
Am I reading it correctly that it sold 12 tickets at 1 theater report from Brazil, or 12 total tickets across the country of 200M? :funny:

I'll buy 12 tickets in Brazil and double it's sales if that's the case. :P

These are few theaters in a city but it selling so badly in relation to most movies this year shows how far hype has fallen. If it was not MCU, I would predict even lower for this movie. But I feel it should pick up close to release. That said its drop from 1st movie would be among the biggest ever. Alice 2 is probably the worst and 1st one benefited from 3D hype of Avatar in early 2010. This one benefited from Endgame Hype in 2019 but considering its legs back then, its going to be even more shocking.

I used to be shawman.

Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:19 am
Hold the door!

I feel like this will have a 55/135 run.

Will give Incredible Hulk a run for worst MCU gross unadjusted.

Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:11 pm
Extraordinary

Empire is saying $45M. How low can this go? :sweat:

Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:54 pm
Profile WWW

O wrote:
Empire is saying $45M. How low can this go? :sweat:

He is talking about where it is based on current state. I dont see it finish that low. it will sell better than 45m opener close to release. I dont see it finish that low even with Quantumania level reviews.
That said we could see 8m previews/60m OW kind of OW. Best case could be 10/75m if reviews are solid and buzz picks up.

I used to be shawman.

Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:43 pm
Extraordinary

Empire has Marvels I think at $48M now.

Missing $50M would ring huge alarm bells for sure.

Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:57 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

So AMC is starting mystery screenings next week and the runtime listed is close to the Marvels... lol I may go just to see what movie it is.

... ok I see the tickets are $5 so doubt its Marvels lol

Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:41 am
Extraordinary

According to a Variety article, The Marvels was really the first time that Marvel Studios did test screenings in TX, which they typically only did with Disney employees and their families.

Reception was not good. As bad as Marvels is seems like Majors is the biggest issue considering their entire phase was anchored around him.

I am actually eagerly anticipating this box office run now to see how bad it gets. Previews, opening day, weekend, second weekend hold, oh its going to be something. :funny:

Aquaman lucked out so much on this one if Marvels does end up becoming a massive clunker.

https://variety.com/2023/film/features/ ... 235774940/

Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:44 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

The tidbit about making Blade into a female led film where he’s supporting :lol:

Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:36 pm

At T-8 its looking like missing 50m.

At the biggest MTC which is driven by subscribers, its doing the best which is around 62% of Guardians 3 at similar point and this is where Guardians took off big time.

at other 2 big MTC its under 1/3rd of Guardians !!!! In fact rest of the market looks like it wont even hit 6m previews and looking at around 40m OW. I am thinking 7m previews/50m OW at this point.

Every overseas number also is looking awful. at Korea which should be its best market considering it has a korean star its under half of Guardians 3 which looking like having a bad start at this point but due to WOM had a great run towards 5m admits. This in comp with Ant man 3 is also at half of that movie. Ant 3 finished under 1.5m admits with terrible WOM.

Mexico is looking terrible. This has been among the best markets for MCU and its looking like having the worst OW like for ever.

Update courtesy carlagonz@bot

Quote:

THE MARVELS (OPENING DAY INCL MIDNIGHTS) - T-8 DAYS

Title Seats sold Seats available Occupancy Growth from T-10

The Marvels

376 25462 1.48% +31,93%

Comps at the same point before release

Title Seats sold Seats available Occupancy Growth from T-10 Comp in % Comp in lc
Little Mermaid 1092 17685 6.17% +40.36% 34.43% $8.13M
Spiderverse 7558 19284 39.19% +13.43% 4.97% $2.19M

As M37 pointed out in DOM thread; similarly in here it's probably due to Halloween and Dia de Muertos that pace has slowed down but still not good news that it went below Little Mermaid. Considering the holidays extend until Thursday and therefore many schools and even offices have decided to stay off-labor until Monday we either see a great jump or a bigger drop.

This is still struggling to surpass Little Mermaid's first 30 hours of sales and even considering that one didn't even held midnights makes it worse. I think is safe to say that 4-Day opening is looking very much likely to go under Captain Marvel's opening day back in 2019 - $79M.

Also looking to contest Blue Beetle as the lowest grossing CBM of the year and The Incredible Hulk as lowest grossing MCU ever. Although in the end this one may have the edge.

I used to be shawman.

Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:57 pm
Extraordinary

I'll bet RDJ makes an appearance in the next Xmen movie. At this rate, he may even show up in Deadpool 3!

Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:26 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next