Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 June 24-26 predictions 

Can Elvis open over 40m?
Yes! 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
Nah 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 10

June 24-26 predictions 
Begging Naked

Post Re: June 24-26 predictions
Yeah the $20 PVOD releases have never really shown much negative effect on box office, probably because the people willing to spend that much money to digitally rent a movie were never gonna see the movie in theaters anyway. That said, $50M is still way too high a bench mark IMO - with how open the market is right now, any $20M+ opener (barring ones with awful WOM) is gonna hang around in multiplexes for well over a month. I wonder if they'll readjust it for 2023.

Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:15 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

bl1222 wrote:
Magic Mike wrote:
How much does a movie from Universal have to open to to avoid a 17 day streaming window? Hopefully The Black Phone makes it because it should be fairly leggy if they don't just dump it on demand soon after release.

$50 million. However, some Universal films on PVOD coming out this early did not have that negative impact like Candyman, The Bad Guys, and Sing 2.

True. Bad Guys and Sing 2 really benefited from no other kids movies. I do think they left some money on the table. Bad Guys would have crossed 100 Million. Sing 2 maybe could have reached 200 Million. I don't think The Black Phone will totally crash and burn when it's on PVOD and available for piracy, but it won't help.

Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:42 pm
Veteran

Magic Mike wrote:
bl1222 wrote:
Magic Mike wrote:
How much does a movie from Universal have to open to to avoid a 17 day streaming window? Hopefully The Black Phone makes it because it should be fairly leggy if they don't just dump it on demand soon after release.

$50 million. However, some Universal films on PVOD coming out this early did not have that negative impact like Candyman, The Bad Guys, and Sing 2.

True. Bad Guys and Sing 2 really benefited from no other kids movies. I do think they left some money on the table. Bad Guys would have crossed 100 Million. Sing 2 maybe could have reached 200 Million. I don't think The Black Phone will totally crash and burn when it's on PVOD and available for piracy, but it won't help.

At worst-case scenario TBP ends up with Candyman's total, which is still a success for it only against a 16m budget.

Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:44 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2