Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 how come National Treasure 3 never got made? 
Indiana Jones IV

Post how come National Treasure 3 never got made?
the first one was successful. The second movie was more successful. They hired writers to begin writing a script with a planned 2011 release, then suddenly all development stopped and 2011 came and went of course. Anyone know what happened?

Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:21 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: how come National Treasure 3 never got made?
It is strange. The core National Treasure team--Cage, Jon Turteltaub, Jerry Bruckheimer--certainly made a grave miscalculation when they made The Sorcerer's Apprentice instead of a third National Treasure in 2010.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:51 pm
Indiana Jones IV

even when they were making that though, National Treasure 3 was in development. Turtletaub said 2011 was the target release

Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:11 am
Extraordinary

I politely asked them not to make it.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:47 am
now we know

Cage and Bruckheimer are known to take orders from production assistants.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:01 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Clearly, as evidenced by the fact they haven't made it.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:17 am
now we know

Yeah, I know, that's why I said it.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:29 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

It will get made eventually.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:10 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

David wrote:
It is strange. The core National Treasure team--Cage, Jon Turteltaub, Jerry Bruckheimer--certainly made a grave miscalculation when they made The Sorcerer's Apprentice instead of a third National Treasure in 2010.

Certainly a financial miscalculation, but definitely not an artistic one.

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Fantastic.

What a summer movie! The Sorcerer's Apprentice combines b-movie charm with a solid, solid screenplay which provides a foundation for all the melodrama, humor, and yes, even horror in a beautifully produced cinematic oasis amidst the vast arid desert of quality know as 2010. Seriously, the screenwriters obviously "get it" - - they know that there's still a way to conjure up a crackin' good story out of the cultural archetypes of the past. They lay the exposition on thick, right out of the gate, and the viewer is immersed in the millennial old tale careening to it's spectacular conclusion on the big screen in front of us. Then all the acting was top notch - - this is my fourth Jay Baruchel film so far this year, except for the disappointment that was HTTYD, all were great films. Nicholas Cage was perfect here, what with his trademark super dry campy seriousness. Alfred Molina made a truly threatening bad guy, though with an excellent flare of comic undercurrent. And Teresa Palmer as "Becky" played the most perfectly ultra-romantic love interest - - I'm looking forward to seeing a lot more of her!

If only all Hollywood products could all be this cool! The Sorcerer's Apprentice had exactly the vibe that the recent version of Sherlock Holmes needed to save it from being the unfocused drag it turned out to be. One can clearly see that producer Jerry Bruckheimer brings the best of his talents from decades of experience to bear in balancing all the elements to create this fine film. This is a movie so finely crafted, that I imagine that it would be just as entertaining to a theatre audience in 1936, 1953, 1968, 1981, 1997, 2010, and for the whole stream of years into the future. It's that timeless.

It's funny... it's romantic... it's way, way melodramatic... it's authentically frightening at times... it's a non-stop unequivocal blast!

The Sorcerer's Apprentice is the real deal: a well told tale - - a new classic is born.

18 out of 5.

{Don't forget not to miss the super secret after-credits scene. Look out sequel, here we come!}

baumer1 wrote:
TSA is a lot of fun. It is much better than I thought it would be. Cage is very charismatic in this and the writing is brilliant. There are two scenes that had me and much of the audience old enough to get it, dying of laughter. This is an incredibly fun film and it feels like a gigantic summer film. It's too bad no one wants to see this because it is a lot of fun.

8.5/10

jmovies wrote:
The Sorcerer's Apprentice is an incredibly fun and entertaining fantasy entry that works great in its present day setting. After a bit of a misfire with Prince of Persia, this new Bruckheimer entry has a compelling, even if it can be a bit typical at times, and great visual effects and action that don't overtake the story. Nicolas Cage is enjoyable as Balthazar but Jay Baruchel gives another great performance here. With this and She's Out of My League, Baruchel shows he can do well in a film but audiences don't seem to be giving him the day. Alfred Molina and Teresa Palmer are good as well. The film spends a good amount of time building up its story and doesn't live one confused of why something is happening the way it is. Also, when fantasies throw in the romance angle, the film can lose its touch but the one between Baruchel and Palmer works because it takes a back seat throughout most of the runtime but still has some importance. The Sorcerer's Apprentice is a great surprise and it looked like it could of turned into a potential franchise. With how many people are seeing it though, it won't happen. ***

Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:14 am
Pure Phase

Yes, I meant financial miscalculation. Everything else is in the eye of the beholder.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:26 am
You must have big rats

I wonde if it will still get made. If so, it has Rush Hours 3/Little Fockers/The Mummy 3 written all over it performance-wise. It'd probably pull $110-120 million. Which is still more than almost all Cage-starrers do nowadays.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:36 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

I loved the first, hated the 2nd. I think the third would drop off no matter what. But I don't understand it either. The 2nd film did basically have one of the best set ups for a sequel. I would assume that the budget spiraled. If I remember correctly they were planning to spend like 250+ million for National Treasure 3 and 4 to be filmed back to back.

I would actually blame it on Cage if I had to guess. All of his tax issues came on in 2009, and he needed the money really fast, and probably couldn't commit to a 2 picture deal with a long shoot schedule, that took a long time to be paid. And just hopped on the fast track for a bunch of smaller 1-4 million paydays with short schedules to get out of trouble. Then It's 2011, and too much time has passed.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:32 am
now we know

Thegun wrote:
I would actually blame it on Cage if I had to guess. All of his tax issues came on in 2009, and he needed the money really fast, and probably couldn't commit to a 2 picture deal with a long shoot schedule, that took a long time to be paid. And just hopped on the fast track for a bunch of smaller 1-4 million paydays with short schedules to get out of trouble. Then It's 2011, and too much time has passed.

Sounds plausible. I could get on board with that reason.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:37 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

With the right story, this could still be very successful.

Atlantis, maybe? (yes please)

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:31 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I didn't like the second one but I still wonder that they will actually make it now. I don't think they will make it anymore or they can now do a reboot :P

Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:32 am
The Wall

This is a complete mystery to this day. It seemed like everyone wanted to do a third one, it made sense financially. Something obviously went wrong, but where exactly it seems impossible to pin point. I'd like to see one more. Both are completely acceptable popcorn adventure movies.

Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:36 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Why does everything need to be a trilogy these days? Now it's been so long, just leave it be. Two is enough.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:37 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

How come Leaving Las Vegas was never made?

Oh, shit, because he died at the end.

Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:38 am
The Wall

Algren wrote:
Why does everything need to be a trilogy these days? Now it's been so long, just leave it be. Two is enough.
Why a trilogy? If the third one came out 3/4 years ago we'd be talking about the 4th one now I'm sure.

Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:48 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

The chances of third getting made are VERY less now that Disney is splitting with Jerry. Not only that but Cage and Bruckenhiemer are no longer the names they used to be a few years back.

Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:09 am
Indiana Jones IV

now that Disney actually owns Indiana Jones, would there ever be any reason for Disney to ever make this?

Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:10 pm
now we know

1924 wrote:
now that Disney actually owns Indiana Jones, would there ever be any reason for Disney to ever make this?

Good point.

Although Cage looks far less ridiculous than Ford. Perhaps there's cross-over potential.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:23 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

Algren wrote:
1924 wrote:

Good point.

$$$$$ are still $$$$. No reason to give up on a franchise because you bought one you kinda copied.

Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:50 am
Profile WWW
now we know

_axiom wrote:
Algren wrote:
1924 wrote:

Good point.

$$$$$ are still $$$$. No reason to give up on a franchise because you bought one you kinda copied.

But the one they bought is much more lucrative.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:20 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

Just LOL if you think that's even remotely a good reason to throw away a half a billion dollar WW worth franchise.

Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:55 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next