Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Puss in Boots the Last Wish 2X Strange World Club 
Hold the door!

Post Puss in Boots the Last Wish 2X Strange World Club

They got the voice actors to come back, but this looks cheap. Not a good replacement for Indiana Jones in the draft lol. Thinking maybe 25m opening 75m total.

Last edited by zwackerm on Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:34 am
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Puss in Boots the Last Wish Predictions
11 years late sequel for a spin off nobody was that excited about... Probably should've gone straight to streaming

Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:24 pm
Extraordinary

Given DW milked the Shrek franchise for all it was worth from with 4 sequels and this spinoff over a 10 year period, was strange to hear about the sequel and studio restraint (or lack of ideas)?

Even with 11 years passed, the Shrek franchise while dated, still was a big part of the 00s box office. I was also always impressed but Puss In Boots first 3 weekends:

Oct 28-30 1 $34,077,439 -1
Nov 4-6 1 $33,054,644 -3%
Nov 11-13 3 $24,726,193 -25.2%

Think the character might still have some appeal that it could squeak past $100M. They could also do a cameo or something and set up for a Shrek 5...

Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:26 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

IIRC Puss in Boots was a 2 day OW? Hence the low drop in it's 2nd weekend. Still good numbers.

Edit: scrap this, not correct. Not sure why I thought it had a 2 day OW.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:09 am
Hold the door!

It had Halloween on its second day so it's weekend was depressed

Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:12 am
Extraordinary

Think Brother Bear had that two day. Puss In Boots had a Sat which likely was dominated by Halloween parties as its second day but Halloween was the following Monday.

Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:58 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Yes thanks. I confused it with Brother Bear and looks like it's Saturday was indeed depressed.

Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:08 pm
Hold the door!

The latest trailer looks much better, add in the Christmas release date, and I think this could be a hit on par with the first film

Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:35 pm
Hold the door!

Post Re: Puss in Boots the Last Wish 2X Strange World Club
Thinking this will do well now and changing it to a club. The release date is stellar and the animation style looks gorgeous. Should also benefit from some Shrek nostalgia.

Strange World on the other hand looks generic and dull and will also suffer from the LGBT controversy that tainted Lightyear.

Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:57 am
now we know

Double the gross of Strange World? Gee, I wouldn't have thought so. I think The Last Wish's ceiling is $120 million, so I just cannot see the Disney film making less than $60 million.

But buzz and marketing on Strange World is rather silent. It is definitely coming to theatres, right? I wouldn't put it beyond Disney to scrap its release in favour of Disney+. I didn't know about the gay character. That should hurt it and, unlike Lightyear, it won't have brand recognition to fall back on. But the animation in The Last Wish truly sucks.

To be honest, I feel like they're both duds in one way or another. But sure, The Last Wish has a great release date where it can eek out more millions, and it has the brand familiarity with Shrek. It's a tough one, but I still feel doubling Strange World's gross would be an astonishing feat for a dispensable character's belated and unneeded sequel.

On a related note, Strange World is going to have a ghastly global rollout. It's already not coming out in France (going straight to Disney+), and with the gay character it will almost assuredly be banned in the Middle East and much of Asia, and China will not give it a release because it's at odds with Disney for some arbitrary reason. Russia's probably questionable, too. It's at a huge disadvantage.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:31 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Algren wrote:
Double the gross of Strange World? Gee, I wouldn't have thought so. I think The Last Wish's ceiling is $120 million, so I just cannot see the Disney film making less than $60 million.

But buzz and marketing on Strange World is rather silent. It is definitely coming to theatres, right? I wouldn't put it beyond Disney to scrap its release in favour of Disney+. I didn't know about the gay character. That should hurt it and, unlike Lightyear, it won't have brand recognition to fall back on. But the animation in The Last Wish truly sucks.

To be honest, I feel like they're both duds in one way or another. But sure, The Last Wish has a great release date where it can eek out more millions, and it has the brand familiarity with Shrek. It's a tough one, but I still feel doubling Strange World's gross would be an astonishing feat for a dispensable character's belated and unneeded sequel.

On a related note, Strange World is going to have a ghastly global rollout. It's already not coming out in France (going straight to Disney+), and with the gay character it will almost assuredly be banned in the Middle East and much of Asia, and China will not give it a release because it's at odds with Disney for some arbitrary reason. Russia's probably questionable, too. It's at a huge disadvantage.

Strange World is safe from a Disney+ debut because Disenchanted is coming out on Disney+ same day and they wouldn't release 2 big films same day.

I could easily see Last Wish match Sing 2 from last year and Strange World top out below 80m.

Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:44 am
Extraordinary

I could see this club become Puss In Boots 5X Strange World club now.

Variety released their Puss In Boots review and they call it here DWA's best film since the How To Train Your Dragon trilogy.

Lyle's subdued run and Strange World flopping completely open this one up for major breakout. Feel better about it than Lyle since it has the Shrek aura so could play like a Minion/DM type franchise run.

Given Sing somehow made $275M from serving an unserved family market I'm feeling major breakout now for Puss In Boots 2. Could see it challenge $200M to double my previous total estimate. Moana had its 5th week, while Trolls had its 8th.

Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:30 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Yeah, this is happening now lol

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:59 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Yes - this film should absolutely clean up. Can't help but feel we are in for a Avatar/Boots/Whitney breakout akin to Avatar/Sherlock/Chimpunks in 2009 (though smaller scale)

Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:34 pm
Devil's Advocate

Hopefully leads to Shrek 5

Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:09 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

I think Shrek is due for a return so this could very well seal the deal.

The new DW logo intro features Shrek prominently so it does look like a return is imminent.

Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:04 pm
Veteran

Quote from a 2011 article:
Quote:
“Puss in Boots” cost $130 million to produce, and it earned Dreamworks’ third-worst debut for a computer animated film, beating only “Flushed Away” and “Antz,” which started with $18.8 million and $17.2 million, respectively.
https://www.cnn.com/2011/10/31/showbiz/ ... office-ew#

The first one was saved by that amazing hold in its 2nd weekend. It was needed after a very tepid OW.
https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Puss- ... box-office

I was blind, but now I see.

Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:43 pm
Veteran

MadGez wrote:
Yes - this film should absolutely clean up. Can't help but feel we are in for a Avatar/Boots/Whitney breakout akin to Avatar/Sherlock/Chimpunks in 2009 (though smaller scale)

Good memory. 3 films grossed above $48M that Christmas weekend. :noway:

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office- ... 2009/12/25

I was blind, but now I see.

Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:44 pm
Extraordinary

Lyle is up 61% from last Thursday. It's PTA has more than doubled since it lost 27% of its theaters last weekend. Granted kids are getting out of school but it's legged out a $3.6M Friday pretty far.

Puss In Boots could literally pull a Sing here so would not be shocked if it ends up doubling it's own predecessor.

Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:39 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Strange World bombed so hard that this club could still succeed times 3 even with a disappointing OD for PIB

Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:26 pm
Hold the door!

Looking to at least triple and possibly quadruple it.

Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:35 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

lilmac wrote:
MadGez wrote:

Good memory. 3 films grossed above $48M that Christmas weekend. :noway:

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office- ... 2009/12/25

Amazing BO in late 2009.

This year's trio didn't quite replicate thanks to the Whitney film but 2 out of 3 aint bad.

Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:24 am
Extraordinary

Box office tracking is fascinating because its a data driven view that shows how impatient we can be and predefine things as a failure or success.

For instance, would we rather have had an Avatar $200M / $750M run and Puss $35M / $150M run over Christmas vs reality of Avatar $134M / $750M* est run and Puss $12M / $150M run?

Studios get more revenue from the front end and big movie OWs incentivizing them that way, but its healthy for overall long term box office having wom hits that keep steady flow of people coming over a longer period. Also doesn't tie in as well to shareholder expectations to get maximal revenue in for Q4 but two very different runs would have led to the same grosses defined above.

So which one ends up being better overall? Studios like big OW, theaters like long runs. I always lean toward leggy runs. I like the element of surprise like Avatar creeping up on TGM slowly vs dead giveaways OW but seems like the studios still want to do everything possible to limit long runs (with streaming windows ridiculously early for instance).

Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:58 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

I prefer leggy runs (as most of KJ do I believe). Yes, huge weekends are amazing to follow (especially when they are game changers like Spidey 1, TFA, Endgame etc) - however leggy runs are almost always more memorable - Titanic, Sixth Sense, MBFGW, Avatar, TGM etc.

And agreed - leggy runs help theatre owners who need the extra support right now

Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:36 am
now we know

Oh yes, leggy runs all the way. For a similar comparison, snooker; I much prefer the long tactical frames to the big breaks where one player cleans up in four minutes.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:25 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next