Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Turning Red...just kidding Pixar is a streaming company! 
Extraordinary

Post Re: Turning Red...just kidding Pixar is a streaming company!
Oh jesus lol

Idk man. I think its fine to make things for streaming but having only theatrical releases be superhero movies is lame.

Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:27 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

From a business perspective, they certainly have many reasons to move all-in on Disney+ releases. It's annoying as a movie theatergoer, but a business' #1 priority is to make decisions that generate the most profit, little/nothing else. Is there a reason, as a business, to continue to pursue theatrical releases for anything but the biggest of big films that are likely to do $1 billion like the Marvel films? I can't really think of any as long as Disney+ continues to do so well.

I question if Encanto would have been so popular, and its songs/soundtrack especially so (making history), if it was a theatrical exclusive. Just assuming it did Moana numbers in normal times, I don't know if that level of audience would have taken the songs/soundtrack to the levels of success they're seeing now. Disney+ did allow it to reach who knows how many more people across various platforms.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Corpse wrote:
From a business perspective, they certainly have many reasons to move all-in on Disney+ releases. It's annoying as a movie theatergoer, but a business' #1 priority is to make decisions that generate the most profit, little/nothing else. Is there a reason, as a business, to continue to pursue theatrical releases for anything but the biggest of big films that are likely to do $1 billion like the Marvel films? I can't really think of any as long as Disney+ continues to do so well.

I question if Encanto would have been so popular, and its songs/soundtrack especially so (making history), if it was a theatrical exclusive. Just assuming it did Moana numbers in normal times, I don't know if that level of audience would have taken the songs/soundtrack to the levels of success they're seeing now. Disney+ did allow it to reach who knows how many more people across various platforms.

You bring up really valid points. Sing afterall is called "Sing" and yet another musical has captured the public's attention and is breaking records on the singles and album charts that had much wider distribution but likely up to 40-50% less box office.

Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Does it matter that so many people watch something if they are not paying for it?

I don't see how a theatrical window keeps films from being popular on Disney Plus. Like will people see a film on Disney Plus and be like "oh that was in theaters, think I'll skip it!" Like were people only watching Soul, Luca and Encanto on Disney Plus because of their abnormal releases?

Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:20 pm
Devil's Advocate

zwackerm wrote:
Does it matter that so many people watch something if they are not paying for it?

I don't see how a theatrical window keeps films from being popular on Disney Plus. Like will people see a film on Disney Plus and be like "oh that was in theaters, think I'll skip it!" Like were people only watching Soul, Luca and Encanto on Disney Plus because of their abnormal releases?

I think it's pretty reasonable to think if someone is anticipating a movie and it's only available on D+, it would push them sign up to see it more than if it's in theatres. There being multiple straight to D+ movies a year also helps people who might have cancelled D+ to stick with it.

If someone signs up to see Encanto, even on the first month alone you almost made as much as a theatre ticket. But the value of someone signing up for D+ now and staying for the next 10 years is like a theatre ticket times 120. So I'm not surprised they like subscription model. Magnus when he was here was talking about how theatres are important to build buzz for a movie but it probably depends on the genre, Encanto blowing up like it did it proves at least its genre doesn't need it and as mentioned if anything a movie like Moana might have had more buzz in D+ era.

Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:44 am
Hold the door!

Shack wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

I think it's pretty reasonable to think if someone is anticipating a movie and it's only available on D+, it would push them sign up to see it more than if it's in theatres. There being multiple straight to D+ movies a year also helps people who might have cancelled D+ to stick with it.

If someone signs up to see Encanto, even on the first month alone you almost made as much as a theatre ticket. But the value of someone signing up for D+ now and staying for the next 10 years is like a theatre ticket times 120. So I'm not surprised they like subscription model. Magnus when he was here was talking about how theatres are important to build buzz for a movie but it probably depends on the genre, Encanto blowing up like it did it proves at least its genre doesn't need it and as mentioned if anything a movie like Moana might have had more buzz in D+ era.

This implies people actually signed up for Disney Plus to watch Encanto who didnt have it before.

Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:55 pm
Forum General

I know this isn't tech support, but D+ drives me crazy with streaming issues on movies I actually want to watch. Doesn't seem to play well with Fire TV devices - I often have to cast using my laptop, which is annoying. Downdetector confirms hundreds of others with the same problem. With their resources, you'd think they'd hire highly skilled IT employees to work around the clock.

I mention this only because I have a few friends who cancelled simply because the streaming issues have never been resolved. Not good for business.

Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:18 pm
Extraordinary

Yeah, I've had problems with D+ on firestick and Playstation (not recently with PS though), and nearly everytime there's a big premiere I get errors.

Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:23 pm
The Kramer

This would have been huge in normal times. Such a crowdpleaser. I really hope Pixar isn't discouraged from making films like this and Soul since they're just getting served up to boost subscribers.

Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:47 am
Extraordinary

Yeah, this would have been a perfect companion to Batman in theaters having 2 big films out at the same time. Sooooo fuuuucking stuuuuupid

I don't even know what I'll think if Lightyear is announced as a D+ wxclusive

Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:20 pm
The Kramer

Lightyear will make a billion dollars with around 70% on meta. The future of Pixar unfortunately.

I wonder if they are being punished for not coming up with any buzzworthy shows like Marvel and Star Wars.

Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:19 am
Extraordinary

Well Disney missed earnings and it's stock price is almost close to breaking multi-year lows dating back to 2014. Streaming grew but let's see how they pivot over the next few months. Their all in on streaming approach is having an impact now.

Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:02 pm
Profile WWW
Quality is a great business plan

All in on streaming was easy way to pump up stock price during pandemic. But looking at how netflix is also doing, its no more the case. its losing money big time. Now they are talking about profitability. Just increasing price on streaming platform wont be sufficient as if they increase too much we will see many more cancellations.

Disney Animation has been impacted huge looking at almost no buzz for Strange World. Expectation has been set that it will hit streaming few weeks after release and so there is no incentive to go to a multiplex.

I used to be shawman.

Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:22 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Strange World looks to be the blandest and most unappealing Disney animated product in perhaps decades?

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:26 pm
Extraordinary

Luckily the BP2 wave will make investors and everyone completely not pay attention to Strange World if it disappoints. Lightyear feels like it got a free ride since Thor/Strange were around.

Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:43 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

MadGez wrote:
Strange World looks to be the blandest and most unappealing Disney animated product in perhaps decades?

Perhaps ever.

But yes, the Disney stumble is happening, and it was all of their own making. They completely neglected the notion that theatrical buoys streaming, and they completely bought into the streaming only idea. It won't hurt all of their businesses and brands, but it will majorly impact some of them.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:48 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Poor Pixar. Their movie releases used to be an event. Their brand value has been diminished so significantly.

Random but I'd love to see The Simpsons do a project with Pixar. The Simpsons explored the 3D world in an episode but how cool would it be to have those animation teams combine on a feature film or snippet.

Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:15 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Chapek is now moving forward with big cuts and a hiring freeze.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/busin ... 235260531/

He seems to be a Tim Cook type ops focus guy but not necessarily attuned to the fact creatives drive a lot of the business. Bob gave him a smooth running ship. Even with the uncertainty in the world feels like this run isn't going to end well for Disney. 25% chance Iger is asked to come back imo within a year.

Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:53 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

O wrote:
Chapek is now moving forward with big cuts and a hiring freeze.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/busin ... 235260531/

He seems to be a Tim Cook type ops focus guy but not necessarily attuned to the fact creatives drive a lot of the business. Bob gave him a smooth running ship. Even with the uncertainty in the world feels like this run isn't going to end well for Disney. 25% chance Iger is asked to come back imo within a year.

Called it EIGHT DAYS AGO! :D Best call I've made ever. Iger is back. Chapek is OUT! :D

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/bob-ig ... 235438423/

Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:29 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

:clap:

Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:04 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Disney has finally seen the light and error of it's ways! What Bob Iger said below on the Dis earnings call:

Quote:
The streaming business, which I believe is the future and has been growing, is not delivering basically the kind of profitability or bottom line results that the linear business delivered for us over a few decades.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/disn ... 235517437/

Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:38 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Soul and Turning Red would've done well at the box office lol better than Lightyear at least. Hopefully Elemental does well.

Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:38 am
Hold the door!

Elemental needs to at least match Sing 2/Puss in Boots The Last Wish level money not to embarrass itself.

Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:43 am
Extraordinary

I think the problem for them now is how will they build back to Pixar movies doing $60m+ openings when they've trained people to expect these films straight to Disney+. Just crazy how idiotic these decisions were.

Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:12 pm
Extraordinary

Disney reported earnings after the bell.

Losses from the streaming segment narrowed, but it shed 4 million Disney+ subscribers.

Hulu content will also be combined with Disney +.

Feels like it's taken billions of dollars for these studios to figure out what people on this forum could have told them two years ago. :P

Stock is down 5% after hours.

Wed May 10, 2023 6:57 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next