Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Weekend Estimates 
Extraordinary

Post Weekend Estimates
$80,000,000

1 N Black Widow Walt Disney $80,000,000 4,160 $19,231 $80,000,000 1
2 (1) F9: The Fast Saga Universal $10,880,000 -53% 3,649 -554 $2,982 $141,325,725 3
3 (2) The Boss Baby: Family… Universal $8,700,000 -46% 3,688 +44 $2,359 $34,746,510 2
- (3) The Forever Purge Universal $6,710,000 -47% 3,058 +7 $2,194 $27,444,915 2
5 (4) A Quiet Place: Part II Paramount… $3,000,000 -27% 2,359 -467 $1,272 $150,694,295 7

https://www.the-numbers.com/weekend-box-office-chart

Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:17 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Weekend Estimates

Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:19 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

About what i expected.

Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:25 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

That figure for Premiere Access kinda sounds mediocre if that's globally. I know it's different prices overseas but that is probably sround 2 million households.

Not a good hold for Saturday unfortunately but I think it should stay above $80m for actuals. 2.5 multiplier gets it to 200m so it should happen...

Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:30 am
Speed Racer

Not super surprised by the frontloadedness, the fanboy audience is probably one of the least likely to be worried about the pandemic. Families may be more worried about taking kids to theaters since they aren’t eligible yet, and I think that’s what usually helps out MCU’s Saturday/Sunday holds.

I do think that will be the case for a lot of big movies. People worried about the pandemic will wait to see it when it’s less crowded or catch it on streaming. Look at AQP2 legs, probably driven by WOM of course, but also people that don’t want to sit in a crowded theater. I expect a big drop for BW followed by some strong late legs.

Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:36 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

That's a good enough number I guess based on early Saturday numbers provided by Keyser. It should easily become the biggest movie of post-COVID till Fall season movies and without a doubt biggest summer movie of 2021. That $60m number is BIG its equivalent to additional $120m WW opening on top of $158m BW did this weekend.

As for legs they will be definitely be good and it still has all the way till September to build legs. The WoM definitely sounds on the positive end overall so that's a positive.

Sub-55% drop for Fine (F9) and sub-50% drop for Purge is also really good.

Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:50 am
Extraordinary

A Quiet Place 2 passed 150m. Pretty phenomenal it did as well as it did. Cruella passed 80m, very solid.

Next several weeks at the box office will be interesting. Hoping something surprises.

Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:55 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

publicenemy#1 wrote:
Next several weeks at the box office will be interesting. Hoping something surprises.

It will be same OLD.

Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:57 am
Quality is a great business plan

60m through PA is phenomenal. That is equivalent to 120-150m in BO as studios get about 40% looking at global. US OW is higher(Disney tend to squeeze as much as possible from theatres. I think its 55% in US). I am sure majority of PA is from US. That makes 80m OW really strong.

I think meltdown at BOT is mainly due to how strong the Presales looked for BW. Even a week ago it was like 2.5x for previews/OD compared to F9. Obviously the Fast crowd tend to just walk up instead of fan heavy Marvel movie. Still 80m is phenomenal for a hybrid release. This is so successful I think they will continue to do it for other movies except for marvel ensemble or star wars biggie or Avatar.

I used to be shawman.

Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:28 pm
Indiana Jones IV

ok opening. Lol at Disney adding in PA numbers to get a "200m worldwide opening"

Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:49 pm
The Kramer

Shit multiplier but still a solid weekend.

Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:35 pm
Extraordinary

Apparantly top 10 this week was above top 10 same weekend in 2019. So that's nice lol

Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:47 pm
On autopilot for the summer

1924 wrote:
ok opening. Lol at Disney adding in PA numbers to get a "200m worldwide opening"

Why wouldn't they? That's the whole point of this. If you're going to do it, embrace the concept. WB has been disgusting with their reporting. This is a major win considering how most people will not even remember that Wonder Woman even had a sequel that was released. This is a big FU to Warner Brothers, make no mistake.

I'm really surprised by some of the disappointment. Over a year ago, most people were saying 65-90 million. This is doing that and burned off 120 million in the process out of theaters.

If this were summer 89, some of you would be disappointed that Batman only made 11 million more than Ghostbusters 2 opening weekend.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Last edited by Thegun on Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:10 pm
Romosexual!

215m WW+DP on weekend 1 is a huge win for Disney. It’s only going to get bigger with each MCU film coming

Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:15 pm
Extraordinary

I'm honestly glad WW1984 released the way it did lol such a bizarre choice for a follow up to such a well received film.

Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:48 pm
Hold the door!

I’m just disappointed it barely did better than F9. On its own the number is fine, especially considering D+. Hopefully Shang Chi and Eternals don’t do too much worse, they at least won’t have Disney Plus.

Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:04 pm
Quality is a great business plan

I think with actuals it will finish below 80m unless Disney bumps up friday/saturday.

I used to be shawman.

Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:41 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

zwackerm wrote:
I’m just disappointed it barely did better than F9. On its own the number is fine, especially considering D+. Hopefully Shang Chi and Eternals don’t do too much worse, they at least won’t have Disney Plus.

This is possibly the only reason for disappointment but in retrospect it's a great number with D+ release

Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:55 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Keyser Söze wrote:
60m through PA is phenomenal. That is equivalent to 120-150m in BO as studios get about 40% looking at global. US OW is higher(Disney tend to squeeze as much as possible from theatres. I think its 55% in US). I am sure majority of PA is from US. That makes 80m OW really strong.

I think meltdown at BOT is mainly due to how strong the Presales looked for BW. Even a week ago it was like 2.5x for previews/OD compared to F9. Obviously the Fast crowd tend to just walk up instead of fan heavy Marvel movie. Still 80m is phenomenal for a hybrid release. This is so successful I think they will continue to do it for other movies except for marvel ensemble or star wars biggie or Avatar.

Yeah unfortunately that's a lot of money for D+ for a $200m production they already got $60m from PA, $44m from domestic, $31m from OS over OW, that's $134m and it's just started it's run.

Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:02 pm
Extraordinary

Economics for Disney Plus just make sense for Disney to keep doing this. They keep 100% of the cut other than folks with backend deals on Disney Plus.

What will be interesting is if any records are broken in a few years if studios' egos to claim back the OW record though. Avatar for instance, would they want it on Disney Plus if it has a chance to beat the global box office total?

What I expect we might see is what happened to the music industry. Album sales cratered so they have album equivalents based on streams. We'll probably see whatever numbers look the most good between streaming + box office.

Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:33 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Cruella is having a quietly fantastic run. Amazing legs. Curious to see where it ends up but theatrical plus streaming numbers I'm sure are why a sequel was greenlit quickly. It's also been available on other platforms aside from D+ for a few weeks now.

It's cooling off so it won't make 100 Million domestic which is a shame, but I'm wondering what it would have done in the before times. Also I think it proves Emma Stone's draw.

Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:45 am
Profile YIM
KJ's Most Embarssing Misspeller

I know this will sound harsh/hater but this is a disappointing opening barring it having way better legs than expected as it probably is not going to break 200m with this opening.

I think the general trend we're seeing is that the major summer releases so far (Quiet Place 2, Cruella, Conjuring 2, F9) are going to end with totals about 65% (i.e. about 2/3) of what they likely would have gotten in normal conditions. Given that, Black Widows likely projection from here has it at about 190m, which would have put its normal condition total at 285m. If BW had done sub-300m in "normal" times, we would have all called it disappointing.

Magnus is right
trixster wrote:
magnus is my hero
Loyal wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Magnus is the fucking voice of reason.
That's scary.
bABA wrote:
fuck Magnus
zwackerm wrote:
You're incredibly overrated and and if they made a Pixar film about you it would gross less than The Good Dinosaur.

Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:36 am

and premiere access numbers don't mean much to me at all. those numbers are probably even more frontloaded than the box office opening weekend, so that 60m wont carry much further. Given the death of physical media revenue sales, VOD revenue like that is basically just replacing that rather than generating true new revenue.

the most optimal path of the revenue stream for movies is still prioritizing the theatrical window. The more you generate in theatrical window, the higher potential of your future revenue streams (i.e. VOD/SVOD, licensing rights, etc.). A lot of people do not go to the movie theaters BUT those people make entertainment choices based off theatrical windows. If movies do well at the box office, they likely will generate interest in those who dont go to movies to consume it on SVOD/VOD. Studios are fooling themselves if they think they can generate interest in content the same way while making the theatrical window less important.

By releasing everything at once, you may get a bigger shot in beginning but at scale, the revenue generation of your product will be far less. This model will not be better for studios in the long-run. Studios still are not realizing that younger generations have so many other forms of entertainment content outside of movies and even TV. Video games and social media (I.e. youtube, tiktok, etc.) dominate younger generations attention way more. You have to earn peoples attention with your content and the best way to do that from a business perspective is to make your content culturally relevant. The easiest way to achieve that is through the theatrical window.

The MCU would not be the MCU if it was a streaming franchise. It exists solely cause of the theatrical window. Without it, the MCU is just content like everything else.

Magnus is right
trixster wrote:
magnus is my hero
Loyal wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
That's scary.
bABA wrote:
fuck Magnus
zwackerm wrote:
You're incredibly overrated and and if they made a Pixar film about you it would gross less than The Good Dinosaur.

Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:46 am

the other troubling trend to note is that the oversaturation of MCU may be happening before our eyes and we aren't going to realize it until later.

like, BW is being released while there is a Loki TV show still showing new episodes. How are anyone outside of hardcore fans supposed to keep up and get excited for this brand everytime a new piece of content comes out?

WandaVision benefitted greatly from being the first MCU content post-COVID to come. Every other content after it has felt so diminished and less relevant culturally.

Magnus is right
trixster wrote:
magnus is my hero
Loyal wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
That's scary.
bABA wrote:
fuck Magnus
zwackerm wrote:

Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:00 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I agree that its difficult to build cultural hits without theatrical window but you cannot just assume that streaming cannot generate cultural hits. Imagine Stranger Things, Tiger King (albeit this was due to peak of COVID) got into cultural zeigeist even while being only on streaming. Younger generation having a shorter span of attention due to various options makes me believe that the existing theatrical system would not have lasted for more than 10 years.

Having said all this I really wish that theatrical window does expand and does not say in the format that Disney and WB are pushing, something like AQP2 did with a shorter but exclusive theatrical window is more suitable path to go forward.

Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next