Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 RIP Theatrical Film Distribution (1900 - 2020) 
KJ's Most Embarssing Misspeller

Post RIP Theatrical Film Distribution (1900 - 2020)
Breaking the self-exile to pay respects to the theatrical film distribution system that has given joy to billions of people over 120 years. I feel fortunate to have called it my favorite hobby for over thirty years. I will remember and appreciate all the years I had with it. What a incredible system it was.

Au revoir.

Magnus is right
trixster wrote:
magnus is my hero
Loyal wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Magnus is the fucking voice of reason.
That's scary.
bABA wrote:
fuck Magnus
zwackerm wrote:
You're incredibly overrated and and if they made a Pixar film about you it would gross less than The Good Dinosaur.

Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:16 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: RIP Theatrical Film Distribution (1900 - 2020)
Magnus I really really really hope you can stay and say hello even if it's just once in a while.

As to your point yes it does not look good anymore. Things will never get back to normal now that studios have a taste of what VOD and streaming services can offer.

Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:22 pm
Extraordinary

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Things will never get back to normal now that studios have a taste of what VOD and streaming services can offer.

Although I do think this may be the point of no return... this may show studios how important theater business is. Who knows how much money WB is gonna lose from this.

Idk we'll see. I think if this model continues on in 2022 then yeah it's gonna be ****.

Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:27 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I think theaters will open somewhere in mid-2021 but movie going habits are not going to be the same. It's going to be the same with travel industry (and a few more), things will open but the consumption will not resume as it was back in 2018-2019 before the pandemic. It will take 5-10 years and a whole new generation to take the fear of bitter remains of pandemic or of their minds and be brave.

Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:36 pm
Cream of the Crop

Jack Sparrow wrote:
I think theaters will open somewhere in mid-2021 but movie going habits are not going to be the same. It's going to be the same with travel industry (and a few more), things will open but the consumption will not resume as it was back in 2018-2019 before the pandemic. It will take 5-10 years and a whole new generation to take the fear of bitter remains of pandemic or of their minds and be brave.

I think the movie theater business is at bigger risk than something like travel. At least with travel you are going to a place that needs to be seen in person. The ocean cruise industry is probably pretty screwed compared to the airline industry. At least with airplanes, you are probably safer from germs than a cruise ship.

As movie display technology changes, we could get to a point where people experience movies at home with a 100 foot "screen" that is just virtual reality glasses or something like that. Would anyone bother with a traditional movie theater at that point?

Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:52 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

That's a good point. With the technology evolving continuously there might come a point that theatrical experience or at least movie watching experience will parallel to that of theaters. At that point it will be indeed become very difficult to find reasons to visit theaters.

Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:55 pm
Cream of the Crop

Jack Sparrow wrote:
That's a good point. With the technology evolving continuously there might come a point that theatrical experience or at least movie watching experience will parallel to that of theaters. At that point it will be indeed become very difficult to find reasons to visit theaters.

Feels like COVID is basically speeding up something that probably would have eventually happened due to improvements over time in home theater technology. Maybe it would have been 10 years down the road instead of right now.

Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:04 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Until Black Widow goes VoD there is still hope. A fool’s hope, but better than nothing.

Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:27 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

redfirebird2008 wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:

Feels like COVID is basically speeding up something that probably would have eventually happened due to improvements over time in home theater technology. Maybe it would have been 10 years down the road instead of right now.

Agreed. Maybe if it would have happened gradually things would have been easier to digest as such it looks like theaters are being forced into submission.

Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:29 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Until Black Widow goes VoD there is still hope. A fool’s hope, but better than nothing.

Ah yes the fools hope

Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:29 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

IF it would go to this in the U.S., there needs to be a universal streaming service. I'm not paying $50+ a month (and any extra "premium fees") that'd be required to watch various movies across the many streaming platforms.

I'd rather just wait and buy films otherwise.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:41 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

WB basically had to do this after their PATHETIC performance in the rescheduling war. They fucked up their 2021 release scheduling so badly, this may just be cover to avoid having that will be voided a series of flops / disappointments.

WB is rightfully getting absolutely slammed for this move. To the point where it may spook other distributors.

Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:06 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I do not believe that's true Excel almost all studios have rescheduled their movies so its not just WB and there are tons of slots now available in 2021 due to uncertain climate continuing.

Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:05 am
Superfreak

The response has been insanely negative.

https://www.vulture.com/2020/12/panic-o ... ts-in.html

Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:21 pm
Superfreak

Jack Sparrow wrote:
I do not believe that's true Excel almost all studios have rescheduled their movies so its not just WB and there are tons of slots now available in 2021 due to uncertain climate continuing.

WB not putting THE BATMAN in late December 2021 = mega fail

Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:21 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

One movie does not define their entire slate. A studio has to think about multiple films which is what was being discussed here. Also adding WW84 in December is not going to bring much benefits to them.

Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:53 pm
Veteran

We may all be suffering from recency bias. We’re in the middle of it all but humans are resilient and often have short memories. If the landscape is virus free in late 2021/2022 then things can indeed return to normal. We’ve been through far worse (World Wars, 1918 Pandemic, etc).

I was blind, but now I see.

Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:56 am
Devil's Advocate

lilmac wrote:
We may all be suffering from recency bias. We’re in the middle of it all but humans are resilient and often have short memories. If the landscape is virus free in late 2021/2022 then things can indeed return to normal. We’ve been through far worse (World Wars, 1918 Pandemic, etc).

Yes, who would have guessed a year ago what 2020 would bring

Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:24 am
Superfreak

GOD has spoken and he is PISSED:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ium=social

I mean...they pretty much have to abandon this idea at this point. The reception has been BEYOND awful. Like SHOCKINGLY bad. 

Only a matter of time until they reverse course. 

Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:19 pm
Extraordinary

... they're not turning back lol. You know how much of a PR nightmare that'd be?

I do think this is gonna backfire. Good for consumers saving money, horrible for Hollywood. If Disney follows suit then idk.

Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:53 am
KJ's Most Embarssing Misspeller

HBO MAX decision is dumb for many reasons but Chris Nolan is dumber for forcing Tenet to come out.

I’ve lost basically all respect for a man who forced a major budget film into theaters during a pandemic. He risked people’s lives with his arrogance and Tenet deserved to bomb because of it. The man who tried so hard to save theatrical distribution is going to end up being a major contributor to its downfall.

Chris Nolan should frankly shut the fuck up.

Magnus is right
trixster wrote:
magnus is my hero
Loyal wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Magnus is the fucking voice of reason.
That's scary.
bABA wrote:
fuck Magnus
zwackerm wrote:
You're incredibly overrated and and if they made a Pixar film about you it would gross less than The Good Dinosaur.

Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:57 pm
Superfreak

^ Totally wrong, what a ridiculous take. Nolan didn't force WB to do anything they didn't want to. Do people seriously think he has that much sway?

Nolan gave a damn about the movie theater business and put out new product to send customers their way once states had legally said it was safe to do so. WB and Nolan obviously aren't the only ones to release new films during this time either, they just released the "biggest". The movie also brought WB ~$200 million in take-home cash from new film release which is a shitload more than any other studio has brought in during this part. Also - how did Nolan benefit? His gross pay would have obviously been higher had he waited until the market normalized.

The "Nolan selfishly forced people into theaters during a pandemic" is an absolutely absurd, lazy take. It doesn't change the fact that TENET was a commercially terrible film.

Either way, his point is 100% valid. WB fucked up the relationship management of the big time by showing zero regard or respect to the actual film makers involved in this process which is inexcusable. Nolan is obviously WB's biggest name and no doubt is earning (even more) respect from his peers for doing so. There absolutely seems to be a very real and very signifiant long-term cost to Was reputation if they go forward with this.

Cant wait until Thursday when Disney emphasizes how much they love and respect their "artists" and wouldn't release films any other way in 2021...

Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:15 pm
100% That Bitch

Excel Is so up Nolan's ass he can't see the truth

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:33 pm
Superfreak

Mau wrote:
Excel Is so up Nolan's ass he can't see the truth

Yes I can. Tenet was a mess.

What did I say that was incorrect? The "Nolan's arrogance killed theaters!" is an absurd, lazy take.

Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:49 pm
Hold the door!

“Force people into theaters” lol.

In what way we’re they forced? He took one for the team and gave dying theaters something to show at great personal financial sacrifice. You were at perfect liberty to wait for streaming if you wanted.

Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next