Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 HORROR 2004 
Horror Hound

Post HORROR 2004
Ahh you knew it was coming.

I am going to keep this thread afloat, updating it with all the HORROR box office happenings from all over the world.

Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:37 am
Horror Hound

THE GRUDGE opened at a massive Number 1 this weekend with $40,000,000 in takings. This is the 4th biggest opening EVER for a horror movie!! Behind only Signs, Hannibal and The Village.

BOP reports:

"After almost two months of waiting for a breakout hit, we finally have one in The Grudge from Sony. Box office has been dismal leading up to the hot November-December season, so a pre-Halloween hit is just what the box office doctor ordered. On the flipside is Surviving Christmas, as another Ben Affleck project crashes and burns.

The number one film at the box office this weekend is the remake of a Japanese film in The Grudge. Much like fellow remake The Ring, we have a big hit in a horror film. The Grudge had a home run opening weekend, as it scored a $40 million opening from 3,245 venues. The film, toplined by vampire slayer Sarah Michelle Gellar, had a venue average of $12,326. The Sony-distributed film picked a great release date, coming out a week before Halloween, which lands on a good box office day this year - the 31st is a Sunday. That means The Grudge will have two more hot days next weekend before Halloween passes for another year. The Grudge will have horror competition next weekend, though, as Lions Gate’s creepy-looking Saw hits theatres over the Halloween frame.

Horror remakes have certainly been hot lately. To the surprise of many, Dawn of the Dead opened to $26.7 million earlier this year, although it quickly petered out before making $60 million. The Grudge’s cousin, The Ring, is also a Japanese remake. The Ring’s opening weekend was only $15 million, which is about what The Grudge made on Friday. What The Grudge probably won’t be able to do, though, is meet the $129.1 million total domestic gross that The Ring was able to score in October 2002. Why? The Grudge won’t be the word-of-mouth hit that The Ring was. 101 critics at RottenTomatoes reviewed the Grudge, and only 43 reviews were positive. The Ring, on the other hand, was 72% fresh, with 118 positive reviews out of a possible 163 at the review compilation website. The Ring had an opening weekend multiplier of 3.1, where The Grudge’s came in at 2.6 (much like last weekend’s Team America multiplier). The weekend multiplier can be an excellent indication of legs; the further above three a film can achieve, the better it is for legs. While a very exciting opening, with the multiplier and the reviews, I’m thinking The Grudge will be a memory after three or four weekends. You’ll have to check back to BOP next weekend to see how the film holds over Halloween weekend."

http://www.boxofficeprophets.com/column ... umnID=8607

NEXT WEEKEND: SAW

Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:39 am
Horror Hound

Yahoo Reports:

"Alien vs. Predator" came in at No. 2 in the U.K. behind "Shark Tale" with $3.8 million. Weekend sales amounted to $4 million, and the overall total rose to $29 million.

The sci fi horror battle is now safely over $100M worldwide now, and will grow onto even bigger numbers.

"Alien Vs Predator" also heald onto the New Zealand Box Office crown. With another $253,166 added to it's now $772,468 two week total.

"Anacondas: The Hunt For The Blood Orchid" Opened at Number 3 in Australia behind Shark Tale for a great $979,607 opening. A fantastic $6,445 pta was the best in the top 18 movies.

"Shaun Of The Dead" opened at number 7 with an ok $529,541

More soon

Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:52 am
Site Owner

It just better do better than the grudge :x

KJ

Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:22 am
Profile WWW
Horror Hound

Here are some of the best review quotes!

"See 'Saw'!"
-- Staci Layne Wilson, HORROR.COM

"Dark and twisted."
-- Scott Nash, THREE MOVIE BUFFS

"A refreshingly grim and cynical film for adults"
-- Joshua Tyler, CINEMABLEND.COM

"May be the best independent horror film to have come out since The Blair Witch Project. It's certainly better than Blair Witch, and more fun, more gruesome, and more macabre."
-- Heidi Martinuzzi, FILM THREAT

"I guarantee this to be one of the most kick ass movies you'll ever see - the stuff nightmares are made of..." "*****"
-- Bloody Disgusting

"Once you see SAW, you'll want to see SAW again and again!"
-- Empire Magazine

"Absolutly horrifying, a horror blast!"
-- Daily Mail

SAW is garnering great reviews so far, and some bad from the people who couldn't handle it, or didn't get the story :)

Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:21 am
now we know

I liek horror's now, after seeign Saw anyway, so.......i will be commenting in this thread a lot more, hopefully :D

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:11 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

"See 'Saw'!"
-- Staci Layne Wilson, HORROR.COM

"Dark and twisted."
-- Scott Nash, THREE MOVIE BUFFS

"A refreshingly grim and cynical film for adults"
-- Joshua Tyler, CINEMABLEND.COM

"May be the best independent horror film to have come out since The Blair Witch Project. It's certainly better than Blair Witch, and more fun, more gruesome, and more macabre."
-- Heidi Martinuzzi, FILM THREAT

"I guarantee this to be one of the most kick ass movies you'll ever see - the stuff nightmares are made of..." "*****"
-- Bloody Disgusting

"Once you see SAW, you'll want to see SAW again and again!"
-- Empire Magazine

"Absolutly horrifying, a horror blast!"
-- Daily Mail

You forgot to add:

"The best horror movie ever!!!"
-- Algren, BOM/WoKJ

hehe ;)

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:14 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Internationally:

Yahoo Reports:

"Alien vs. Predator" came in at No. 2 in the U.K. behind "Shark Tale" with $3.8 million. Weekend sales amounted to $4 million, and the overall total rose to $29 million.

Im really pleased with the no.2 opening of AvP, seems to have a good opening, more than i thought, so thats a plus, i think it can probably match its Domestic total, internationally.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
Site Owner

They are not out and out great, but the WOM I hear from alot of you and from others seems very good.

I doubt that all these critics are 'missing the story, and some are going as far as too call it poorly acted with cheap bland thrills.

I am really looking forward to this and god I hope they are off base. But right now it looks like its heading for a 40-50% on RT.

KJ

Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
Full Fledged Member

The dorky gamegeeks seem to LOVE avp. But generally the wom is pretty awful where im at. I dont see good legs for it at all with a $4m opening weekend.
Probobly top out around $10m-$11m

Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:21 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

The reviews for Saw have me worried,

They are not out and out great

Hmmm, let me tell you why, because the critics know jack all!!!!

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:02 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

The dorky gamegeeks seem to LOVE avp. But generally the wom is pretty awful where im at. I dont see good legs for it at all with a $4m opening weekend.
Probobly top out around $10m-$11m

Yeh, it pretty bad where im at too (UK), but i think $10 Million in Uk for AvP would be pretty good, after all, Fox weren't expecting too much surely.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:05 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Well, I think by now everyone knows that I am a horror movies nut and the fact how well horror movies are doing lately makes me very happy.

However, I want to add that I do NOT consider a movie like Alien vs. Predator a horror movie, but much rather an action sci-fi movie. I mean, c'mon, the first Alien was a horror movie and I don't think you can compare AvP to that one. I enjoyed AvP and I was entertained. But the fact that it is not even R-rated although all Alien and Predator movies have been R-rated. The almost utter absence of blood in this movie was a big minus and I don't see why I should consider it horror.

However, I am really happy for the success of SAW in UK. The reviews are generally good and the box-office in UK is amazing for a hardcore horror movie. The good teasers and the Halloween opening weekend will help its opening, definitely.

I am also really happy about Dawn of the Dead's success in the USA and worldwide. It is a matter of time until the studio will come up with a sequel.

Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:56 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

I am also really happy about Dawn of the Dead's success in the USA and worldwide. It is a matter of time until the studio will come up with a sequel.

I will be looking forward to a sequel, the first was amazing!!!!!! They ended it so it could have a sequel, i see no reason why not, IT ROCKED!

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:26 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Great drops for The Grudge and great opening for Saw! :D

The Grudge- $22,400,000 -42.8% $71,267,000

Saw- $17,400,000 NEW ($7,516 PTA) $17,400,000

Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:04 pm
Extraordinary

Dr. Lecter wrote:

I will be looking forward to a sequel, the first was amazing!!!!!! They ended it so it could have a sequel, i see no reason why not, IT ROCKED!
Someone didnt watch the whole ending..........

Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:07 am
Indiana Jones IV

Algren wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

while the ending in the credits didnt leave much room for a next one, it didnt show enough to rule out a sequel, just enough to rule out certain people being in the sequel

Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:19 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
Well, I think by now everyone knows that I am a horror movies nut and the fact how well horror movies are doing lately makes me very happy.

However, I want to add that I do NOT consider a movie like Alien vs. Predator a horror movie, but much rather an action sci-fi movie. I mean, c'mon, the first Alien was a horror movie and I don't think you can compare AvP to that one. I enjoyed AvP and I was entertained. But the fact that it is not even R-rated although all Alien and Predator movies have been R-rated. The almost utter absence of blood in this movie was a big minus and I don't see why I should consider it horror.
However, I am really happy for the success of SAW in UK. The reviews are generally good and the box-office in UK is amazing for a hardcore horror movie. The good teasers and the Halloween opening weekend will help its opening, definitely.

I doubt there will be any that agree with you or at least none should. As the movie had the creatures, Aliens, in it, it was horror even with the lack of blood and non R rating.

Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:27 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

November 12--Seed of Chucky

December 8--Blade: Trinity

December 25--The Dark

All of them are rated R........and they will open wide.

Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:47 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Algren wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

Ahhhh, why, what happened exactly?

....i saw most of the credits ending. didnt realise it would go on for ages..... ;)

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:31 am
Profile WWW
Horror Hound

But anyway, big ass update:

THE GRUDGE. Holding on to number 1 in the US in weekend 2 falling only -42.8% to $22,400,000. PTA was strong at $6,690. The 2 week total for the SMG horror is now $71,267,000. The japanese remake is set to pass $100M. Opening next weekend (Nov 5th) in the Uk, previews were sold out, and the GRUDGE is set for a massive number 1 here.

SAW opened at Number 3 this weekend with a massive $17,400,000 and a very healthy $7,516 pta. The hyped like mad movie, rumoured to be budgeted around $1.3M is the second biggest opening for Lions Gate (After Farenheit 9/11). SAW is expected to drop hard next weekend, as front loadedness was indicated by the saturday dip the movie felt. Look for Around $8,000,000 next weekend And a very nice $40M+ finish! Another horror hit!

THE FORGOTTEN fell out of the top 10, at Number 13 and has grossed $64,490,000 in 6 leggy weeks. It also started it's international run very well with $3,010,867 from two market openings.

World wide totals for horrors currently on INTL release:
The Village moved it's total up to $240.7M Worldwide.
Alien Vs Predator passes the century mark: $112.3M
Resident Evil: Apocalypse passes it too: $101.8M.
Butterfly Effect moves to $88.4M and Secret Window to $87.2.
Anacondas: Hunt for Blood Orchid
has grossed $52.4M.
Open Water will pass $50M soon, with $48.4M.

Next up in US.

SEED OF CHUCKY
BLADE TRINITY
THE DARK

2005:
THE AMITYVILLE HORROR
WHITE NOISE
BOOGEYMAN
THE WOODS
THE RING 2
HOUSE OF WAX
THE FOG (TBC)
THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 2 (TBC)

Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:04 pm
Horror Hound

Exorcism of Emily Rose-
Horror with Laura Linney

Underworld 2

Vampire sequel with Kate Beckinsale

Alone In The Dark
Horror Video game adaptation with Steven Dorff and Tara Reid

Undead
New horror zombie flick. "this could easily be a theatrical hit here in the States." -Bloody Disgusting

High Tension
Hard hitting French horror movie, probably NC17.

The Devils Rejects
Sequel to cult hit, House of 1000 corpses

Amityville Horror
Remake from the makers of TCM remake! Starring Ryan Reynolds.

House Of Wax
Horror remake starring Chad Michael Murray, Paris Hilton and Elisha Cuthbert.

Saw 2
Sequel to the recent horror smash.

The Ring 2
Hyped up sequel to one of the biggest horrors ever.

White Noise
Supernatural Horor with Michael Keaton

Boogeyman
New "darkness falls" type horror film.

The Woods
New brutal slasher flick!

The Fog (TBC)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (TBC)

Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:43 pm
now we know

Im looking forward to a few in 2005 :) These are Underworld 2, just the thought of it, is amazing!!!

Undead, looks quality. Alone in the Dark, doesnt that have Christian Slater in ? :?

Saw 2, i will see, but im annoyed its goign ahead :x

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:59 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Undead is real fun flick, seriously. It is the Australian answer to Peter Jackson's Brain Dead. I have alreadyseen it. A ton fo splatter and good comedy mixed with sci-fi elements. Slightly worse than Brain Dead, but still good.

As for The Grudge, it is doing AMAZING business. Wtahc out for it to end up with $115+ million and the sequel to at least come close to $100 million and maybe cross it.

@Mansonmyers

The Grudge 2 is supposed to come out next year as well. :)[/b]

Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:17 pm
Profile WWW
Horror Hound

I'm gonna update this constantly now, you have my word! :D

DOMESTIC:

SEED OF CHUCKY opened in america to the tune of $3.1M on friday. The screen average was an okay $1,485. SEED, the 5th sequel to Child'sPlay will turn out another nice profit for the series to boast. Look for around $8,000,000 this weekend.

THE GRUDGE looks set for another solid 40% drop this weekend with a friday of $2,440,000 in 6th place, while SAW sit's in 8th with $2,130,000.

SAW's total gross is a fantastic $41,446,000 while THE GRUDGE has a blockbusting $94,678,000 from 22 days.

INTERNATIONALLY/WORLDWIDE:

THE VILLAGE $252.2M
ALIEN VS PREDATOR $133.2M
RESIDENT EVIL 2 $112.7M
DAWN OF THE DEAD $102.2
THE GRUDGE $98.7M
SECRET WINDOW $91.2M
THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT $88.4M
THE FORGOTTEN $78.1M
EXORCIST $57.7M
ANACONDAS 2 $55.1M
SAW $49.7M
OPEN WATER $48.4M
GODSEND $29.0M

The Grudge will have passed $100M by next update. which will make it the 5th horror/thriller this year to do so. THE FORGOTTEN also has a great chance!

SAW will also pass $50M this weekend, making it the 11th horror/thriller this year to do so. OPEN WATER may still have a chance.

2005 PREVIEW:

WHITE NOISE
DEVILS REJECTS
HIGH TENSION
THE FOG
SAW 2
THE RING TWO
HOUSE OF WAX
THE AMITYVILLE HORROR
ALONE IN THE DARK
UNDEAD
BOOGEYMAN