Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Tintin will own December 2011 Club 
Another You

Post Tintin will own December 2011 Club
1. Spielberg + PJ assures Tintin will be all kinds of awesome.
2. Since it's visually driven, it can be huge in 3D like Tron/Avatar.
3. Sherlock Holmes 2 will decrease slightly since the original wasn't totally very well-recieved.
4. Chipmunks will drop significantly like most kiddie sequels did this year.
5. Random trend but, December has always been dominated by a non-sequel since 2005, except last year when True Grit was just 1m shy of Tron Legacy.

6. The point I'm most confident in: Crazy shit and huge upsets consistently happen in December.

Who's with me? :yes:

Members:
Flava'd vs The World

Last edited by 2001 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:46 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Tintin will own December 2011 Club
Uh-uh.

Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:48 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

No way.

Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:52 pm
The Wall

2001 wrote:
1. Spielberg + PJ assures Tintin will be all kinds of awesome.
2. Since it's visually driven, it can be huge in 3D like Tron/Avatar.
3. Sherlock Holmes 2 will decrease slightly since the original wasn't totally very well-recieved.
4. Chipmunks will drop significantly like most kiddie sequels did this year.
5. Random trend but, December has always been dominated by a non-sequel since 2005, except last year when True Grit was just 1m shy of Tron Legacy.

6. The point I'm most confident in: Crazy shit and huge upsets consistently happen in December.

Who's with me? :yes:

1. It's a good movie, but not a great one. It does read as a Spielberg movie, but it's so classic Spielberg it feels a bit bloated and uninspired at times.
2. It has great animation, but it's far from being visually driven. I felt like 3D was underutilized, which surprised me because I expected Spielberg and Jackson to come up with some more imaginative use. It's still all very much the same tricks all over again.
3. I don't think the audience for Sherlock and Tintin overlap much...
4. It could. But then again the Chipmunk movie could benefit from establishing itself as a holiday event movie with its previous two incarnations...
5. Random fact - December kinda is the month with rather more original, non sequel material so the chances are it will ne dominated by an original, non sequel.

6. Tintin was supposed to ride high on the huge buzz from overseas. which never happened. It won't be the movie to do crazy shit in December. It just very much pedestrian which is unfortunate.

Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:13 pm
Profile WWW
Deshi Basara

I don't feel anything on Tintin. I think it's mostly just a labor of love from Spielberg/Jackson, though they seem to have massive confidence in it with two sequels planned. I see it getting lost in the shuffle. It has that familiar animation vibe of too adult for kids & families, too kiddie for adults.

Most Impressive Openings: Honorable Mentions

Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:05 pm
Another You

be.redy wrote:
1. It's a good movie, but not a great one. It does read as a Spielberg movie, but it's so classic Spielberg it feels a bit bloated and uninspired at times.
3. I don't think the audience for Sherlock and Tintin overlap much...
5. Random fact - December kinda is the month with rather more original, non sequel material so the chances are it will ne dominated by an original, non sequel.

6. Tintin was supposed to ride high on the huge buzz from overseas. which never happened. It won't be the movie to do crazy shit in December. It just very much pedestrian which is unfortunate.

1 is actually a good thing, isn't? That's if I get what you meant by "classic Spielberg". Plus, it doesn't have to be a perfect film at all. Many films that dominated December in the past weren't particularly great films, yet perfectly nailed their target demos so they still ended up being huge.

3 and 5 supports this club.

6 has me actually worried a bit, and if that's the case which film do you think can surprise major next month?

Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:35 pm
The Wall

1. should be a good thing but I meant it in a way that it's so Spielberg you pretty much know how it's going to play out and it's just so familiar it kinda becomes slightly boring. While watching it I felt like a lot of potential was sucked out of it. I actually think this would be better if it was live action.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:41 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Nope. I say it disappoints.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:42 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

be.redy wrote:
1. should be a good thing but I meant it in a way that it's so Spielberg you pretty much know how it's going to play out and it's just so familiar it kinda becomes slightly boring. While watching it I felt like a lot of potential was sucked out of it. I actually think this would be better if it was live action.

Completely agreed the movie would have better suited live action, even normal animation would have done but Mo-Cap sucks a lot of fun out of this.

I heard from few of my friends (who took their kids) that they enjoyed the movie but it was too long for them and at times boring. Not saying that will be the general case but WOM will be mixed IMO specially among families. Do remember that they will still have Alvin and then there has already been an overload of family movies already this year. Not only that Arthur Christmas will still be lingering around as the best suited holiday themed movie.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:42 am
Extraordinary

I'd be far more interested in joining a "Tintin will stink out December 2011 Club" - - while it doesn't have the makings of an outright bomb, it's severe under-performance will be the talk of the industry in early 2012 before it quickly sinks into obscurity.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:44 am
Another You

The more naysayers this club gets, the more epic its success will be.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:37 pm
Deshi Basara

TV spot calling it Indiana Jones meets Pirates of the Caribbean smacks of desperation. It still looks like Indiana Jones meets Archie Comics - no getting around it. Sure I'll see it, but will Joe Popcorn?

Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:10 pm
Extraordinary

2001 wrote:

Can this even be defined as a club if it has no members beyond it's proponent?

Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:12 pm
Another You

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
2001 wrote:

Can this even be defined as a club if it has no members beyond it's proponent?

Why are you asking that? I honestly thought that you were a member!

Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:34 pm
Extraordinary

Uh-uh means uh-uh.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:52 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I think there are only 4-5 naysayers as of now, but all of them have different arguments for this not happening......nothing epic about this :P

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Uh-uh means uh-uh.

LOL :funny:

Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 pm
The Kramer

I'll join. Hasn't been a good adventure film in awhile.

Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:03 am
Extraordinary

David Denby of the New Yorker weighs in with one of the first US reviews of Tintin:

Quote:
After about an hour, I lost interest in the picture, something that never happens with Pixar’s animated movies, which have actual stories, not just strung-together tumbles, as well as social themes to chew over. “Tintin” is exhausting, and, for all its wonders, it wears one out well before it’s over.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:48 pm
Another You

Shitty reviews like the one you posted scratches out my first point. But they don't mean shit unless it's The Golden Compass level horrible. You just need to go back five years to see that a mediocre family film can defy all logic by passing an 8+ multiplier and completely owning the holidays.

Now, in case I see it and dislike it (it's been out here for a week now), then things can change.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:13 pm
Deshi Basara

NATM didn't have very all that much competition though and appealed to the comedy, family, and fantasy crowds pretty evenly - all leggy genres. It was a crowd pleaser.

Like it or not, animation that is action with "real" people just doesn't combine well for the mainstream. Even with top wom I see a maximum of 6x legs but even then the problem is it will not explode out of the gates. I am not rooting against this, for the record.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:31 pm
The Wall

2001 wrote:
Shitty reviews like the one you posted scratches out my first point. But they don't mean shit unless it's The Golden Compass level horrible. You just need to go back five years to see that a mediocre family film can defy all logic by passing an 8+ multiplier and completely owning the holidays.

It can happen. But Tintin is really bland. Not bad, but really, really bland. And I think that's the worst thing that could've happened. Families might go with Alvin all the way. It's familiar, already established franchise.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:32 pm
Profile WWW
Homo Dperious

If so it will be a bad month.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:56 pm
Profile ICQ
Another You

be.redy wrote:
It can happen. But Tintin is really bland. Not bad, but really, really bland. And I think that's the worst thing that could've happened. Families might go with Alvin all the way. It's familiar, already established franchise.

In case that ends up being true, then I can only hope Alvin fails miserably like Happy Feet did.

Oh, and I'm not saying it performs exactly like NATM. I'm just implying that huge surprises do happen at this time of the year. At the moment, I see a mid 40s 5-day and a top-out around 200m.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:59 am
Indiana Jones IV

Sorry to say but Alvin 3 is going to outgross this like it or not.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:21 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Another review in - - this time from CraveOnline:

Quote:
I was really looking forward to The Adventures of Tintin mainly because it’s a Spielberg movie. I always want to see a Spielberg movie. I don’t care if it’s animated, mocap, or 3D. I was glad AFI Fest provided an early chance to see the film, even earlier than the usual press screenings. However I found the film just okay, and from a director like Spielberg that’s almost worse than being a total 1941....

The action is totally Spielberg with sequences that build and build. It’s just they’re peppered with such puerile jokes, it undercuts the suspense. I’m not talking about one liners or visual gags. I’m talking about people getting hit in the face, dogs sniffing cows’ butts, elastic bumbling, more people getting hit in the face....

It’s not that it’s animated. Pixar movies are plenty exciting. Avatar worked as mocap action. If you didn’t like the story it was a creative difference, not a failure of the technology. It could still be a motion capture thing, where you just can’t invest in actors playing on a stage. That’s when James Cameron steps in and says, “Okay kids, you’ve had your fun but this is how you do it.” I was hoping Spielberg would be a James Cameron too....

The 3D does not add very much depth at all. I mean you can tell there’s space, but it’s not drastic. Another reason to see it in 2D.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next