Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 3:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 April Thread 
No Wire Tampons!

Post April Thread
So, April- not looking quite as rosy as last April where we were presented with "Mean Girls", "13 Going on 30" and "Man On Fire"

That said - i do see some potential

Notably these ones from my ones to watchlist

SIN CITY - which may have a slight sky captain risk but i think sky captains bombing gives this one even more incentive to blow us all away. Everyones super excited about it and i hope it can break out.

BEAUTY SHOP - With a surprisingly potent cast, a funny trailer and a Barbershop inheritance; i see no reason why Beautyshop shouldnt play well; but i could see it bombing....ill be optimistic and say it will do well

FEVER PITCH - Marketed much better in trailers than i had expected, Fever Pitch is the classic romcom with a twist. Only problem is the twist may put off women and that could ultimately kill it.

AMITYVILLE HORROR - Everyone ever wants to see this for some reason; im too scared to watch the second trailer.

THE INTERPRETER [adding to list tomorrow should have done a long time ago] - Excellent marketing inspite of Kidmans admittedly undecided South African accent; definately has alot of buzz offline and i think it should do exceptionally well

HITCHIKERS GUIDE TO THE GALAXY - Big budget, Big fanbase, Beuna Vista...wait....

Outside of my list im thinking that

A LOT LIKE LOVE would do well if it werent for Ashton Kutcher and Amanda Peet. They both are stars of different demographical appeal and together, they might cancel each other out. No real advertisement at all either and its trailer has way too many "whooshy" sounds for edits which annoys me although it ends on a funny note. Aside from all those things Kutcher looks horribly miscast. Im a big fan of Amanda Peet its just i think they should have brought in a star opposite her that could have elevated it to classy romance rather than emoteen romance.

CRASH - theres definately something spectacular about it; i certainly have very high hopes and think every cast member surprised me in the trailer...but most sites are saying its out May 6th now so..

Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:34 pm
Profile WWW
Site Owner

I actually think this april has a BETTER lineup of movies than last from Sin City to start to Hitch Hikers to end.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:40 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

I'm definently liking this April's lineup.

Sin City, The Amityville Horror, The Interpreter, XXX: State of the Union. It'll be a good month.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:42 pm
No Wire Tampons!

I actually think this april has a BETTER lineup of movies than last from Sin City to start to Hitch Hikers to end.

Well actually..yeah. But i really liked 13 Going on 30 and Mean Girls; im so surprised that "chick flicks" [i know alot of people hate that term] seem to be consistently better than anything hollywood offers to men the past few years. Seriously; women have higher standards in film and that seems to be met by the films produced for them

Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:42 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Kung Fu Hustle
The Amityville Horror
The Interpreter
XXX: State Of The Union
The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy

April=SWEET :razz:

Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:34 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

2.The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy
3.Kung Fu Hustle (BOMB!!!)
4.XXX: State Of The Union
5.The Amityville Horror
6.The Interpreter

Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:50 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Where will you be?

April has the best line up of the year so far. I'd be willing to see every single movie coming out, (though Crash is May 6th man ;)). It has the release of one of my three most anticipated movies of the year in the form of Sin City, and I'll be able to see Kung-Fu Hustle, which is one of my all time favorite movies, again.

Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:17 pm
No Wire Tampons!

April has the best line up of the year so far. I'd be willing to see every single movie coming out, (though Crash is May 6th man ;)). It has the release of one of my three most anticipated movies of the year in the form of Sin City, and I'll be able to see Kung-Fu Hustle, which is one of my all time favorite movies, again.

Ill go see

1. The Interpreter for sure; everything else i can probobly wait for on DVD

Sincity looks great, but ive got some wierd feeling about it

Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:27 pm
Profile WWW
Horror Hound

Beauty Shop
Fever Pitch
Amityville Horror

Those are the ones i want to see.. And the ones i want to be hits.

Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:13 pm
Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

No one looking forward to Sahara with a very tan Matthew McConaughey

By the way
Sin City
The Interpreter
Hitchhikers
Upside of Anger, Wide Release
Noting else that great, looking

Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:16 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

I'm not anticipating Sahara, but I'll probably check it out for the heck of it.

Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:17 pm
Horror Hound

The marketing/poster/website/trailer/tvspots all seem very very Lazy done and half assed.

Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:51 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

IMO this is probably the best April crop of films ever - in terms of anticipation and box office.

My most anticipated film of the year - Sin City aswell as Amytivlle Horror, Fever Pitch, XXX2, Galaxy, Upside of Anger, Beauty Shop, Interpreter etc.

Remember last years threesome (Mean Girls, 13 going on 30 and Man on Fire) made just over $200m together. I can see this years crop going much much higher.

Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:46 pm
No Wire Tampons!

Sahara looks really, really bad. I think only women who have seen the endless tirade of Matt pictures would want to see it because to me; the target demographic, it looks fucking horrible.

Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:09 pm
Profile WWW
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Sahara looks really, really bad. I think only women who have seen the endless tirade of Matt pictures would want to see it because to me; the target demographic, it looks fucking horrible.

You are not the target demographic of Sahara.

The target demographic for Sahara is the recent crop of people who are really into those pseudo-archeiology (sorry spelling) books by Dan Brown and the like. Books like Da Vinci Code and movies like National Treasure are all part of the same push.

My mom is really into this kind of entertainment. She totally wants to see Sahara. I personally don't get it.

Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:31 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Sin City and Amityville will definately have me in line.

A couple of the others choices look interesting of the month.

By far the most interesting month of the year thus far. Also, the first one that will actually have me heading to the theaters.

Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:28 am
Profile WWW
No Wire Tampons!

Michael wrote:

The target demographic for Sahara is the recent crop of people who are really into those pseudo-archeiology (sorry spelling) books by Dan Brown and the like. Books like Da Vinci Code and movies like National Treasure are all part of the same push.

My mom is really into this kind of entertainment. She totally wants to see Sahara. I personally don't get it.

The target demographic can instantly be derived from marketing campaigns; Saharas marketing campiagn targets teenagers; its a PG-13 action movie and sure it may have that whole National Treasure tie in; but Sahara's marketing campaign is far more specific than National Treasures. Explosions, high octane cuts, lots of weapons; hot shots of Penelope Cruz; plus the fact its set in the desert is not a good omen. This film may have a wider demographic scope than something like Bad Boys 2; but make no mistake this isn't designed to attract your mothers - id say specifically it would be 15-30 year old males this is targeting

Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:47 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

addr0ck wrote:
Michael wrote:

The target demographic can instantly be derived from marketing campaigns; Saharas marketing campiagn targets teenagers; its a PG-13 action movie and sure it may have that whole National Treasure tie in; but Sahara's marketing campaign is far more specific than National Treasures. Explosions, high octane cuts, lots of weapons; hot shots of Penelope Cruz; plus the fact its set in the desert is not a good omen. This film may have a wider demographic scope than something like Bad Boys 2; but make no mistake this isn't designed to attract your mothers - id say specifically it would be 15-30 year old males this is targeting

True, though it is basaed on a reasonably successful book, and on a character thats kind of a franchise name in the book world so it has some kind of built in audience. Still don expect it to do more than $50m max and more likely $35-$40m.

Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:17 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

People here seem to have underestimated how well Hildalgo did and vastly underestimated National Treasure. I see Sahara making more than 70 million because its audience is built on having a good multiplier

Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]