Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 849, 850, 851, 852, 853, 854, 855 ... 952  Next
 Japan Box-Office: On Hiatus 
Star Trek XI

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: WKND Actuals (08/06-07); Charts Update
Was there a reason why Stampede didn't have the title Film Stampede?

We had Film Strong World, Film Z, Film Gold and now Film Red. So why was it not Film Stampede?

Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:16 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

A ~20/21% dip on Tuesday is pretty strong with how high it is. It's definitely at least the second biggest non-holiday Tuesday ever. I'm estimating about 325,000 admissions. By comparison, Demon Slayer's first Tuesday, the biggest known non-holiday Tuesday, was ~395,000 admissions (down 28% from Monday). And Jujutsu Kaisen 0 did ~290,000 admissions on its first Tuesday (about even with Monday, but it was also Christmas week and New Year's impact kicked in the next day).

I believe I've seen enough to post a Daily Tracker for One Piece now. I feel the Tuesday would have dropped further if it was going to see a big drop off after OW. Monday + Tuesday are probably bigger than Sunday. Not to say it won't show some frontloading (third week on will likely drop steadily), but so far, nothing indicates poor legs.

When a film opens so high (and this is the second biggest OW ever), it creates a "must-see" factor with some casual moviegoers. "Why did so many people see this movie?", "Is this #1 song and these others from that new #1 movie?", etc. Japanese (casual) audiences like to join in on what a lot of people are enjoying, and this can really bolster films beyond a standard or expected run.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:17 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

bullza wrote:
Was there a reason why Stampede didn't have the title Film Stampede?

We had Film Strong World, Film Z, Film Gold and now Film Red. So why was it not Film Stampede?

I don't know, but it annoys me as I like to have consistency with film titles. :funny: The "Film" movies began when Oda took over, but he was involved with Stampede too, so I really don't know. It sets them apart from the earlier films.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:25 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: One Piece Film Red Daily Tracker

One Piece Film Red - Daily Tracker

Sat. (08/06): ¥1,232,095,230 ($9.1 million) / 869,407
Sun. (08/07): ¥1,022,141,800 ($7.6 million) / 710,145
Mon. (08/08): ~¥580,000,000 ($4.3 million) / ~415,000
Tues. (08/09): ~¥465,000,000 ($3.4 million) / ~325,000

Cumulative Total (4-Days): ~¥3,299,237,030 ($24.4 million) / ~2,319,522

So far, it's maintained its status as the second highest one day, two day, three day, and now four day total ever.

Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:01 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

The nostalgia is strong with this one.

And Ado's (Uta's) original songs from the movie are still charting very, very well. On iTunes, five are in the Top 10 (#1, #5, #6, #7 and #8). Looking forward to how the album/soundtrack does which releases today (Aug. 10th).

Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:41 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

The forum still lives. And just in time for Obon Festival!

I'll update One Piece's daily estimates here shortly, and then early tomorrow the Top 5 films on August 11th and 12th (and will do so until Obon boon ends, which I'm predicting to be the 17th). I'm assuming bullza will want to know what DBS is doing, so I'll include it in the estimates, too. If there's anything else not in the Top 5 someone else wants to see, let me know.

Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:43 pm
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Obon Festival (August 11th-17th)
I am hopeful that it is back in time!

Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:50 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Wed. (08/10): ~¥525,000,000 ($3.9 million) / ~385,000
Thur. (08/11): ~¥595,000,000 ($4.4 million) / ~415,000

Cumulative Total (6-Days): ~¥4,419,237,030 ($32.7 million) / ~3,119,522

It continues to have the second highest total ever since its first day. The dailies have been, well, clearly excellent so far. I was expecting perhaps a tiny bit more on Thursday (since it was a holiday), but Thur. is also the weakest day of the week normally and roughly matching Monday (the strongest day of the week), at least based on my estimates, is great.

When I saw what was happening on Wednesday, I thought it might be able to reach ¥5 billion on Friday, and while not impossible if estimates are a little low, Saturday is the safer bet. Either way, Saturday will be its 8th day in release, making it the second fastest film to reach the blockbuster milestone.

Speaking of Saturday, I checked presales not long ago and they're looking really strong. It's not going to see a big second weekend decline. Not predicting a small drop, but it's going to be good and be in contention for the second highest second weekend ever. I'm predicting it'll between ¥6-6.5 billion after Sunday (should be on the higher-end) if Friday roughly matches Wednesday, meaning it'll probably surpass Film Z to become the highest grossing film in the franchise in just 10 days on Monday (August 15th).

Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:08 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Obon Festival (August 11th-17th)
Also, guys... I know this thread gets a lot of traffic. The views speak for itself, especially in the past three or four years. I keep track of this data (I'm a nerd). We exceeded 1 million views (1.032m) last year, up from almost 900,000 in 2020. And we only have around 25/30(?) regular members here.

And if you Google "Japan Box Office", this thread is the 3rd(!!!) result just below BOM (weird #1, and unfortunate given their inaccuracy) and a Wikipedia page. We're even above Crunchyroll and the official Japanese movie association (Eiren) in Japan.

I've even seen my own posts, be it writers basically taking my words to include in their articles on ANN (Anime News Network, Crunchyroll, or elsewhere), or people on Twitter sharing information from here in threads. I saw an image of this thread just the other day (the Biggest OWs of All-Time) shared on Twitter. We've also been referenced or been used as a source on Reddit. I don't mind, I'm glad people are finding value in it (although mentioning our forum as the source would be nice).

So... with all that said, I'm glad my thread I still largely do as a fun hobby that began over a decade ago now provides a lot of information for people. I don't want to gloat, but there's data here that if lost, is basically gone forever unless I share it somewhere else (and there's so much, I may not have it all saved myself) or someone spends the endless personal hours I have (with the help of some of you too) putting together over the years.

If you can, members and lurkers alike, please consider donating to us via paypal or other payments here: wokjfunds@gmail.com

We're a tiny forum that's just become smaller over the years. Everything helps. Thank you!

Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:20 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Obon Festival Begins/Important Info -P
Corpse's Japan Box-Office thread is the pride of World of KJ!

It has been a great resource for me over the years. Its Google ranking is pretty awesome. I'm very happy for its success. :thumbsup:

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:31 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Obon Festival Begins/Important Info Pg
Thanks for that post Corpse!

Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:55 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Excellent post and thread Corpse. It has indeed put KJ on the map!

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:20 am
Full Fledged Member

Official Sources claim the needle has moved for Shin Ultraman in its 13th weekend just a touch with 4.38 Billion Yen and 2.95 Million in attendance.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:13 am
Wall-E

Corpse wrote:

Thur. (08/11): ~¥595,000,000 ($4.4 million) / ~415,000

Cumulative Total (6-Days): ~¥4,419,237,030 ($32.7 million) / ~3,119,522

It continues to have the second highest total ever since its first day. The dailies have been, well, clearly excellent so far. I was expecting perhaps a tiny bit more on Thursday (since it was a holiday), but Thur. is also the weakest day of the week normally and roughly matching Monday (the strongest day of the week), at least based on my estimates, is great.

When I saw what was happening on Wednesday, I thought it might be able to reach ¥5 billion on Friday, and while not impossible if estimates are a little low, Saturday is the safer bet. Either way, Saturday will be its 8th day in release, making it the second fastest film to reach the blockbuster milestone.

Speaking of Saturday, I checked presales not long ago and they're looking really strong. It's not going to see a big second weekend decline. Not predicting a small drop, but it's going to be good and be in contention for the second highest second weekend ever. I'm predicting it'll between ¥6-6.5 billion after Sunday (should be on the higher-end) if Friday roughly matches Wednesday, meaning it'll probably surpass Film Z to become the highest grossing film in the franchise in just 10 days on Monday (August 15th).

Wouldn't it make more sense for thur to be slightly below monday instead of over it? Since mimorin admissions are basically equivalent, but I assume the missing ones from AEON are strong enough that they positively offset the discount.

Anyway, pretty much in good trajectory to go along with my 6.5b or so by sunday estimation. And congrats on the thread, Corpse! :)

Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:27 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Thursday was about 2,000 admissions higher than Monday, basically the same as you said. The reason I place it higher in revenue is because the avg. ticket price for the day should be higher since tickets are discounted at Aeon Cinemas on Mondays. Thursday being a holiday (more families come out) may have lowered the average a bit as well, but it shouldn't be below Monday's.

But looking at my estimates, I should probably have Monday's admissions a little higher (420,000-425,000). Its share at Aeon would naturally be higher, but I just used the same ratio that it got over the weekend in the estimate. So Monday and Thursday are likely super close in revenue (Mon. could be a tad higher). I'll mess with it a bit and try to get as accurate an estimate as I can when I update the tracker again here later with Friday's estimate.

And thanks for the reminder, gman2887. It and a couple other films were among those that weren't updated yet when I posted the actuals from this past week, so I'll go back and update the 2022 chart here soon.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:52 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Also, I saw news that One Piece Film Red achieved the biggest opening of all-time for a Japanese film in France, opening at #1 (ahead of Bullet Train) with over 267,000 admissions, finally dethroning the first Pokémon movie after 23 years.

I haven't had time to really look into the number (such as the gross), and if true, what an accomplishment.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:56 am
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

About France, yes One Piece did really well ! 267k count the first 119k entries at last Sunday so Wednesday must had like 148k entries then.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:17 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Obon Festival 2022
OBON FESTIVAL 2022 - Daily Estimates (08/11-17)

08/11 (Mountain Day):
¥590 million ($4.4 million), 0, ¥4.424 billion ($32.8 million) - One Piece Film Red (Day 6)
¥225 million ($1.7 million), +57%, ¥3.378 billion ($25.3 million) - Jurassic World: Dominion (Day 14)
¥115 million ($855,000), +129%, ¥3.785 billion ($27.8 million) - Kingdom II: To Distant Lands (Day 28)
¥105 million ($780,000), +62%, ¥3.072 billion ($22.7 million) - Minions: The Rise of Gru (Day 28)
¥x85 million ($630,000), 0, ¥x85 million ($0.6 million) - Tang (NEW)
¥x75 million ($560,000), +106%, ¥10.71 billion ($80.5 million) - Top Gun: Maverick (Day 77)

% changes versus same day last week.

Haven't done daily estimates in a while, and not having Aeon makes it trickier now, so we'll see how this goes.

Note: Toho and The Pokémon Company are re-releasing some of the older Pokémon films (one every two-weeks for a limited run, I believe) for the franchise's 25th anniversary, beginning with the fourth film this week. It has enough admissions at the usual locations where it looks like it'd crack the estimates above, but I think it fell a tad shy on Thursday. It's even closer on Friday (which I'll update later), so I might add it. But note, estimating it will be really hard.

Also note: The totals for Jurassic World 3 and Minions 2 as of August 11th are actuals. They were reported by Toho-Towa.

And bullza, since DBS is so low, dropping down to 139 theaters nationwide (still wide technically, but not by much), estimating it each day isn't really worth anything. For example, I'm guessing it earned about ¥4 million ($30,000) on Thursday. What I'll do since you're tracking the film closely is give you a rough estimate on what it earned Mon.-Fri. instead.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:37 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Kenji26 wrote:
About France, yes One Piece did really well ! 267k count the first 119k entries at last Sunday so Wednesday must had like 148k entries then.

:thumbsup:

Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:53 am
Profile WWW
Wall-E

Should be thursday record over JJK0 I think. Though no other weekday record falls.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:03 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Yes, that should be a new Thursday record (revenue and admissions).

Unless there's something from ~20 years ago that I missed, it's the highest known Thursday. But I never came across anything that could have been higher when I checked in the past. It was helped by the holiday, but there's a good chance it could have broken the record regardless based on its Wednesday and Friday, both of which would have been enough, too.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:19 am
Profile WWW
Wall-E

Yeah there is a decent margin here, I think it's pretty safe to call.

Also, kinda disappointed the day couldn't end at 23:00 and leave us with this beautiful number

:funny:

Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:46 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Would have been cool.

Mon. (08/08): ~¥590,000,000 ($4.4 million) / ~420,000
Thur. (08/11): ~¥590,000,000 ($4.4 million) / ~415,000 *Holiday*
Fri. (08/12): ~¥545,000,000 ($4.1 million) / ~380,000

Cumulative Total (7-Days): ~¥4,969,237,030 ($36.9 million) / ~3,504,522

Made very slight adjustments to Monday and Thursday. And for those wondering why Friday > Wednesday despite an estimate with fewer admissions, Wed. is Toho Cinema Day, so combined with the lower avg. ticket price that brings, the share at the usual locations is higher on Wednesdays.

Still, these are *estimates*. And with numbers so dang high, being off by small percentages changes the math (high or low) a good deal. So, just keep that in mind.

Here are some record/accomplishments after its first week (not apart of the weekend list shared in the Weekend Actuals post on Monday):

-Second highest running total (revenue and admissions) after Days 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7.
-Second highest first week total (revenue and admissions).
-New Thursday Single-Day Record (revenue and admissions).

Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:10 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

And quick note before I share the overall Friday estimates: Weekend dalies (Sat/Sun) aren't usually much higher than the weekday dailies (Mon-Fri) during a major holiday period like Obon Festival. The point of these periods, for moviegoers, is to have roughly a full week of being able to catch a movie they're interested in on any day of the week, so the gap between weekday and weekend closes considerably.

There are a few things to consider this upcoming weekend, however:

Giveaways! This Obon Festival is big on giveaways with One Piece, Kingdom, and Top Gun all having giveaway promotions going on. Kingdom's already began on the 11th (Thursday), so some of that demand may have been burned off before the weekend, but since it's a holiday week (and it's a large giveaway), it should do well over the weekend. One Piece's begins on the 13th (Saturday), so a sizable Saturday increase (by %) for it is more likely than the other films. And Top Gun's begins on the 15th (Monday), so it'll probably have one of the *weakest* increases on Saturday as some of its audience (namely repeaters) may want to wait until Monday.

To add to One Piece likely having a bigger Saturday increase over Friday (by %) than most other films due to its giveaway beginning tomorrow, it also has stage greetings being broadcast nationwide in theaters for their 11am showings. All these showings are sort of bonus showings and will sell out or come very close.

Any other questions related to how Obon Festival may impact dailies, just ask.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:25 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Obon Festival 2022
OBON FESTIVAL 2022 - Daily Estimates (08/11-17)

08/11 (Mountain Day):
¥590 million ($4.4 million), 0, ¥4.424 billion ($32.8 million) - One Piece Film Red (Day 6)
¥225 million ($1.7 million), +57%, ¥3.378 billion ($25.3 million) - Jurassic World: Dominion (Day 14)
¥115 million ($855,000), +129%, ¥3.785 billion ($27.8 million) - Kingdom II: To Distant Lands (Day 28)
¥105 million ($780,000), +62%, ¥3.072 billion ($22.7 million) - Minions: The Rise of Gru (Day 28)
¥x85 million ($630,000), 0, ¥x85 million ($0.6 million) - Tang (NEW)
¥x75 million ($560,000), +106%, ¥10.71 billion ($80.5 million) - Top Gun: Maverick (Day 77)

08/12:
¥545 million ($4.1 million), 0, ¥4.969 billion ($36.9 million) - One Piece Film Red (Day 7)
¥205 million ($1.5 million), +26%, ¥3.583 billion ($26.8 million) - Jurassic World: Dominion (Day 15)
¥100 million ($750,000), +71%, ¥3.885 billion ($28.6 million) - Kingdom II: To Distant Lands (Day 29)
¥100 million ($750,000), +62%, ¥3.172 billion ($23.4 million) - Minions: The Rise of Gru (Day 29)
¥x75 million ($560,000), +49%, ¥10.78 billion ($81.1 million) - Top Gun: Maverick (Day 78)
¥x55 million ($410,000), 0, ¥140 million ($1.0 million) - Tang (Day 2)

% changes versus same day last week.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:46 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 849, 850, 851, 852, 853, 854, 855 ... 952  Next