Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 23795 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 845, 846, 847, 848, 849, 850, 851 ... 952  Next
 Japan Box-Office: On Hiatus 
Wall-E

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: One Piece Film Red - OD Discussion
If the numbers are still higher than mimorin is showing, then I think OD gross probably falls even with DS' admissions being higher since red opened with IMAX+4D+dolby on day 1. Obviously DS sat and sun remain on a different level.

Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:12 am
Full Fledged Member

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: One Piece Film Red - Presales # Up
Corpse wrote:
I'd say it's practically locked up, or at least very likely right now. Its avg. ticket price will be higher than past films since it has IMAX for the first time, and 4DX/MX4D is more popular now, so I'm guessing it can do it with around 700,000 admissions. Too early to call for now, but I think it's on track for it. I would hope Toei makes an announcement tomorrow if it does. Weekend announcements are rare, but do happen sometimes when mega milestones occur.

And if it does it, it'll be only the third film to ever achieve an OD above ¥1 billion (interestingly, all three times would be from 2020-2022
, one film each year). It'd also be just the fourth film to sell 700,000+ admissions on its OD if it manages that.

Sell-rate back to 82% (11:17am, 20.9% of showings). :wacko:

The bolded part is really surprising to me. Is there any explanation that you think or just some random happenstance? I ask because, with Japan's shrinking population, you wouldn't expect these kind of records to fall regularly if at all, but if anything they've really ramped up these last couple of years. Lurking some of the earlier pages of this thread (from 2010-2015), there's several records that were seen as nearly unreachable (Spirited Away's gross and admissions numbers, Matrix Reloaded's opening weekend...) but they've all fallen in the past couple of years. Then you have franchises like Detective Conan, which after being relatively stable for more than a decade suddenly started booming around the second half of the 2010s.

Interestingly, other entertainment media like home video and manga DO experience the sort of declines that one would expect. Box office is just highly resilient.

Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:25 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Cynosure wrote:
Looks like 700k admissions overall are a given at this point, right?

I think so? Not having Aeon is annoying, and not being too sure if United has been fixed is also annoying. I think United was during the updates right before and after 9pm, but sometimes the 8pm-9pm updates can be really huge regardless since they are discounted showings (late-night specials).

Assuming Aeon is adding... IDK, 150,000-200,000 for the day? (they have more seats than Toho, but usually slightly trail Toho in sales) to what we have may end with today with the others (~410,000-ish), we'd have over 550,000-600,000+ at the usual locations... That's the second highest ever, behind Demon Slayer.

And using the multipliers we normally do to account for the rest of the market, it'd have around 725,000-800,000 (maybe a tad higher) overall. Just a very rough guess here though, and I want to try and remain a bit conservative.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:29 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: One Piece Film Red - Presales # Up
Agafin wrote:
Corpse wrote:
I'd say it's practically locked up, or at least very likely right now. Its avg. ticket price will be higher than past films since it has IMAX for the first time, and 4DX/MX4D is more popular now, so I'm guessing it can do it with around 700,000 admissions. Too early to call for now, but I think it's on track for it. I would hope Toei makes an announcement tomorrow if it does. Weekend announcements are rare, but do happen sometimes when mega milestones occur.

And if it does it, it'll be only the third film to ever achieve an OD above ¥1 billion (interestingly, all three times would be from 2020-2022
, one film each year). It'd also be just the fourth film to sell 700,000+ admissions on its OD if it manages that.

Sell-rate back to 82% (11:17am, 20.9% of showings). :wacko:

The bolded part is really surprising to me. Is there any explanation that you think or just some random happenstance? I ask because, with Japan's shrinking population, you wouldn't expect these kind of records to fall regularly if at all, but if anything they've really ramped up these last couple of years. Lurking some of the earlier pages of this thread (from 2010-2015), there's several records that were seen as nearly unreachable (Spirited Away's gross and admissions numbers, Matrix Reloaded's opening weekend...) but they've all fallen in the past couple of years. Then you have franchises like Detective Conan, which after being relatively stable for more than a decade suddenly started booming around the second half of the 2010s.

Interestingly, other entertainment media like home video and manga DO experience the sort of declines that one would expect. Box office is just highly resilient.

The last two years has indeed been crazy for records being broken. And if they're not broken (as everything has to play second to Demon Slayer now), we're seeing films achieve huge feats / rankings otherwise. And it's not just these huge records either, there are a lot down the line that have been broken or achieving huge feats.

Average ticket prices have creeped up due to the popularity in premium formats, but the thing is, admissions are also keeping up and breaking records, too.

Demon Slayer basically broke the BO in 2020, and now lays claim to the Top 9 Biggest Single-Days Ever (in addition to hundreds of records). Since then, we've had films (like Jujutsu Kaisen 0) break similar long-standing records (some almost two decades old) that it did first. JJK0 was, arguably, riding Demon Slayer's success a bit, so can be explained to an extent.

One Piece though... to see it doing this much is pretty crazy since it's been around for 25 years and long established itself is something else. But it's a huge franchise, and if the vast majority of its audience does come out, it could do these numbers. I guess they just haven't come out in these sorts of numbers in the past. And I also believe its bringing in more casuals this time due to the music element (music, popular songs/soundtracks, etc., have a big impact in the market).

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:39 am
Profile WWW
Wall-E

*If* United was added, which I'm inclined to believe because sales dying off this much and this suddenly after such strong updates at 9 is a bit suspect, using the same rate for AEON as stampede/gold (which should work well, since their release timings are pretty similar), I get ~550k usuals. I think this probably gets it high 1.1b to low 1.2b opening day in gross, though maybe it could tackle DS for highest OD if atp comes in really high.

If united wasn't added though I think it for sure takes OD. I guess we will know in about 2 hours if someone breaks it down again.

Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:41 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

I keep trying to find something that we're missing because this is nuts. :lol:

Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:47 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Did Ado also cover Bink's Sake for the movie/album??? If you're not a One Piece fan, you may not know, but if so, talk about a win. Last song previewed.

Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:56 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

It's still doing over 1,000 admissions with every update at the usuals after 11pm, so it may hit ~415,000+ with the overnight showings included (again, this excludes Aeon and maybe some of United).

If we say it sold two-thirds of its seats at Aeon (said to be 292k), that could be around 195,000. So, possibly looking at 600,000+ from the usual locations. If so, that'd be no less than 750,000 nationwide, but should be more around 800,000.

So yeah, ¥1.1-1.2 billion (which you're estimating, too, JustLurking) would be about right if these admission estimates add up. Third Biggest OD Ever for certain, probable Second Biggest OD Ever, and slight shot at Biggest OD Ever if the average ticket price is higher than expected (or if United still isn't included in the count).

Hope we get an update on United here in an hour or so, and better yet, something official from Toei tomorrow.

Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:04 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Ado's original song collaborations in the movie are also rising up the charts or now debuting. On iTunes, they currently rank #4, #7, #11, #15, #17, #30, and #36.

So, more evidence that while music doesn't always propel a film at the box-office, when it does, big things happen. There aren't many record-holders or just high ranking films that didn't have a hit song or two or soundtrack.

Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:16 am
Profile WWW
Wall-E

Actually since no other film increased their drop% from last week I guess United wasn't added. So I guess it probably is OD record. I think 1.3b sat => 800-900M sun for 2.1-2.2b weekend.

Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:43 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

I can't wait for official numbers. It'd be so crazy if it broke the OD record. I mean, even if it "just" comes in above ¥1 billion (to be just the third film to do it), it'd be just as crazy, really.

Also, :thumbsup:

Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:56 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Sunday is also looking very good. It won't match Saturday, of course (right...?), but it's basically sold up to ~70% or more of all its seats at all the key locations already. But since it sold ~80%+ of its all its seats on Saturday, there is understandable spillover.

So Sunday might hold on pretty well (maybe less than 20%).

Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
Hatchling

Hello, Thank you for your reporting on Japanese box office.

I've seen some big One Piece accounts on Twitter say that the movie did 1.06 billion on its first day is that from official sources or predictions?

Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:01 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Lugia wrote:

I've seen some big One Piece accounts on Twitter say that the movie did 1.06 billion on its first day is that from official sources or predictions?

The day just ended (not all showings are actually over yet), so I'm assuming it's an estimate from an unofficial source. It'd be very weird for anything official to come out at midnight/1am.

Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:02 pm
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight

Corpse wrote:
Lugia wrote:

The day just ended (not all showings are actually over yet), so I'm assuming it's an estimate from an unofficial source. It'd be very weird for anything official to come out at midnight/1am.

I think they are from future!

Anyways, great debut. I wasn't expecting much. But, yes, I am surprised that it has done extremely well.... Just annoyed with Mimorin because of United &Aeon getting missed :wacko:

Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:09 pm
Hatchling

Corpse wrote:
Lugia wrote:

Yeah, I figured. I don't know where they got that information.

I'm glad the movie is doing well, but the big question is how it will perform compared to previous OP movies. Reviews from publications and the public have been pretty divided from what I can see.

Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:10 pm
Wall-E

It's really a shame mimorin is so messed on a potential OD record tbh.

Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:10 pm
The Dark Knight

Lugia wrote:
Corpse wrote:
Lugia wrote:

Yeah, I figured. I don't know where they got that information.

I'm glad the movie is doing well, but the big question is how it will perform compared to previous OP movies. Reviews from publications and the public have been pretty divided from what I can see.

Yahoo is probably review bombing. It's review has fallen like from Avatar to Morbius. Filmark is stable while MW is lot better

Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:15 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Here's the final Saturday breakdown by chain:

TOHO 200,434/239,250 (83.8%)
KINEZO 74,363/90,077 (82.6%)
109 49,083/57,255 (85.7%)
MOVIX 87,492/108,873 (80.4%)
UNITED 2,964/4,288 (69.1%) *Errored out early*

414,336/499,743 (82.9%!)

So yeah, United wasn't fixed. So with them messed up, this is like... 35-40% of the market or something. It should have somewhere around 100,000 seats or more (they had ~130,000 if you do the math from the earlier seating numbers) from United, so possibly missing up to 70,000-90,000 admissions from them if we use that ~70% they have from the few shows that were counted.

414,336 + ~70,000-90,000 (United) + ~200,000 (Aeon) = ~690,000-710,000 or so?

That'd put it well over 800,000 nationwide, and possibly as high as 900,000+.

Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:16 pm
Profile WWW
Wall-E

It's such a mess on mimorin right now, what a shame. But I think it's a decently safe bet for OD record at this point.

Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:22 pm
Star Trek XI

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: One Piece Film Red - OD Record?
Oh. Mimorin is still not ok?

@corpse do you have KNY and JJK chain wise breakup? Can compare with those.

Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:40 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I think it at the very least achieved the second biggest OD ever. The rough estimating makes it hard to say if it beat Demon Slayer's OD or not, but the fact it's up for discussion and may even be 50/50 with what we know is bonkers.

I'm also quite confident it's going to do ¥2 billion+ / 1.5 million+ admissions for the weekend without too much trouble due to how strong Sunday is looking. Might be closer to ¥2.2 billion / 1.7 million admissions or so.

Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:41 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

charlie jat wrote:
Oh. Mimorin is still not ok?

@corpse do you have KNY and JJK chain wise breakup? Can compare with those.

I do not. It's pretty safely above JJK though since it's just 84,000 shy even without Aeon AND nearly all of United. Just adding United would probably let it practically match JJK, and with Aeon added (usually around Toho's numbers, or a bit higher or lower, depending on the film), it's way higher and somewhere around Demon Slayer.

Aeon had 292k seats versus Toho's 239k for One Piece. Toho likely had the higher sell-rate, they normally do, but the seat advantage Aeon has could have put them above Toho on this one, especially in the summer months (their locations are mostly in malls). If it's less, it's definitely not by much. Using Toho's 200k seems reasonable without knowing anything else (but again, chance it's a little more).

Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:44 pm
Profile WWW
Wall-E

I think it's worth noting that OP: Red is opening with IMAX, 4D and Dolby, which were pretty much sold out nationwide as far as I can tell. KnY and JJK only opened with IMAX, so there's no way red isn't getting the higher atp and probably by a decent chunk. It might come below KnY OD in admissions, but I think it will definitely win out gross.

Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:52 pm
Wall-E

Corpse wrote:
I think it at the very least achieved the second biggest OD ever. The rough estimating makes it hard to say if it beat Demon Slayer's OD or not, but the fact it's up for discussion and may even be 50/50 with what we know is bonkers.

I'm also quite confident it's going to do ¥2 billion+ / 1.5 million+ admissions for the weekend without too much trouble due to how strong Sunday is looking. Might be closer to ¥2.2 billion / 1.7 million admissions or so.

I went back and compared to Stampede&Gold ODs and got this.

Stampede:
AEON: 57,404 / 208,225
TOHO: 66,363 / 132,501

Gold:
AEON: 49,736 / 208,746
TOHO: 55,493 / 170,276

So I guess TOHO still gets the better total overall by 10-20% even when AEON gives waaay more seats (AEON gave a way higher % for stampede than for RED compared to toho with TOHO giving only 63% of AEON's seats vs 82% for RED). So...170kish for AEON based on these, I guess, but then with how busy the other chains were it's possible some of their business spilled into AEON's. :wacko:

Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23795 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 845, 846, 847, 848, 849, 850, 851 ... 952  Next