Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 23795 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 882, 883, 884, 885, 886, 887, 888 ... 952  Next
 Japan Box-Office: On Hiatus 
The Dark Knight

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: WKND Actuals (12/03-04); Charts Update
2022 TOP 10 IMPORTED FILMS IN JAPAN

01. Top Gun: Maverick - ¥13.50B
02. Jurassic World: Dominion - ¥6.32B
03. Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore - ¥4.60B
04. Minions: The Rise Of Gnu - ¥4.44B
05. Spider-Man: No Way Home - ¥4.25B
06. Sing 2 - ¥3.31B
07. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - ¥2.16B
08. Venom: Let There Be Carnage - ¥1.91B
09. The Matrix Resurrections - ¥1.40B
10. Thor: Love and Thunder - ¥1.35B

00. The Batman - ¥1.19B
00. The Boss Baby: Family Business - ¥1.00B
00. West Side Story - ¥0.98B

※ Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - ¥1.30B〜¥1.40B

Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:15 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

I'm falling behind with the updates... It'll probably take me the next couple days to get things caught up.

Thanks for sharing the data here, Kanroji. They'll all be updated in the yearly chart posts this week.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:54 pm
Profile WWW
Wall-E

A2 presales feel anemic to me. Really worried about how it's going to perform here even moreso with SK setting a bad walk-up precedent for the film. Considering the market situation in having actual competition for the holidays here is fairly unique, if it starts as slow as it seems to be starting this might have a big problem.

Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:06 am
The Dark Knight

The $ fall from A1 to A2 is going to be one for the record books.

Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:56 am
Wall-E

Saturday is looking better so let's hope for a healthy bump. Japan isn't super filled with IMAX theaters, so hopefully walkups will be nice still.

Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:23 pm
Angels & Demons

Because of its Big average ticket price due to 3D/Premium share which will be high. It makes me wonder if it’s possible for Avatar 2 to have a 3-day opening of ¥1 Billion?

Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:45 pm
The Dark Knight

From 12/16 Cameron's "Avatar: Way of Water" will be screened at 1466 Screens nationwide, which is the largest number in the history of Japanese domestic movie theaters. Previous record was held by Sony's "The Amazing Spider-Man" (1092 screens) back in 2012!!

Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:37 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Very impressive... However, friday starts off quite slow, but it's early. Maybe it'll play better at night (could indicate some demographic struggles though).

I don't get the feeling this is looking at a big OW right now.

I wish I could be on to cover it, but my schedule is so packed right now with so many things. I'll do my best.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:43 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Chaplainfan wrote:
Because of its Big average ticket price due to 3D/Premium share which will be high. It makes me wonder if it’s possible for Avatar 2 to have a 3-day opening of ¥1 Billion?

I would hope it easily breaks ¥1 billion over the 3-day. ¥1 billion *should* be a reasonable expectation for the 2-day (ignoring the early numbers). That's a rather "low" bar for the 3-day period for this film (it'd only be the... 6th (?) biggest 3-day for a Hollywood film since 2020 and well outside the top 10 (maybe 15) overall since 2020). Unless legs are really spectacular, it'd almost certainly miss ¥10 billion in this scenario.

I don't know... just getting a lot of bad feelings on this film in Japan right now from the early numbers. The list of negatives against it were quite high going into the weekend (and now reviews are just... okay). I hope it's not the case, but kinda feel it'll be one of those markets that's a letdown for Hollywood. And Disney absolutely needs this to succeed. If it doesn't, I think it's time to close the door on them in Japan.

Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:47 pm
Profile WWW
Angels & Demons

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Updates On Mini-Hiatus (Bad Time, I Kn
Apparently in admission it is running behind Dr. Coto at number 2 but will be number 1 in gross due to the huge percentage of Avatar 2 gross from 3D/Premium screens. So basically its not doing well outside such format and also I feel its a possibility not only its gross will decline from the first one in Dollar but also in Yen.

Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:25 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Well, it is still early. I mean, if it was going to be a guaranteed uber-blockbuster, it probably would be doing better even at this point. But it's still hard to say.

*IF* it disappoints in Japan, we at least have a rather long list of why it happened and it won't be a WTF moment.

Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:34 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

In case someone asks and I'm not around this weekend:

>Common precedent of sequels to high performing predecessors declining.
>No novelty factor to bring in casuals. (Seeing films, any film, in 3D was a huge craze in Japan from 2010-2012 until it died.)
>No notable home video sales or TV broadcast ratings for the original. (Suggests audiences were lukewarm to it.)
>13 year wait. (Japan's demographics have changed/aged a good bit since then, pop. decline)
>Disney release. (They're really, really, really struggling in Japan.)

Those will be the main reasons IF (again IF) it disappoints. It's quite the list to overcome.

Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:41 pm
Profile WWW
Wall-E

Looks really grim here. I am not overly surprised as I was very worried about how it would do here, but damn, awful.

Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:26 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

I don't want to throw the b word out, but if it doesn't recover BIG in the evening... It might just be.

Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:41 am
Profile WWW
Wall-E

Sat/sun will be a bit better from what I'm seeing but yea pretty safe to say it's kind of bombing. Since the share of PLFs and 3D is sky high here I kind of expect a ludicrous atp of like 1650 or even 1700 yen, and even then, I am kind of seeing the opening only at like 700M for the 3 days MAX. Bleh.

The big theaters might allow to stay on premium screens through the holidays which could allow it to leg out ok I suppose, rest will cut its seating DRASTICALLY after the weekend. But it kind of doesn't matter at this point since it clearly is selling next to nothing outside the premiums anyway.

Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:57 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Well... I think it's a bomb, or is on the path to becoming one. Even if you double (or more) its admissions from the usual locations and give it a ¥1700-1800 atp, it probably didn't even do ¥200 million ($1.5 million) today. Or if it did, it's just barely.

Saturday will be better of course, but this isn't a kids/family movie. It's not like it'll double/triple up. In all likelihood, the Friday suggests ¥500 million ($3.5-4 million) or a bit better is all it'll do this weekend, so ¥700 million ($5 million) 3-Day is probably best-case or so.

That's... Bad. It will likely open at #1 in gross due to its atp but admissions? Could miss #1 and fight for second/third. .

I've been weary of it here for the many reasons posted above, but the numbers so far suggest an even worse result.

Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:52 am
Profile WWW
Angels & Demons

Yikes man even if it legs out after this OW, it still will decline from the first one in Yen. There could be a possibility where it could even miss the ¥10 Billion mark.

Last edited by Chaplainfan on Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:23 am
The Dark Knight

Didn't I tell you all that Avatar 2 shouldn't release at all? Can't imagine about the decline it gonna record! We thought SLAM DUNK not gonna make ¥10B (ofc it won't unless supported with admission privileges) but the thing is that Avatar 2 gonna be real embrassing moment in the market. ༎ຶ⁠‿⁠༎ຶ

Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:30 am
The Dark Knight

How much will it decline in $? 75%? 80%?

Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:25 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

It's hard to project this early, but yeah, the decline in USD is going to be severe. We always knew it'd be a huge drop since the exchange rate is SO unfavorable now vs when the original played, but we could see a 50-60% decline in USD, or even higher if legs aren't extraordinary (like...a 20x multiplier again).

It's probably losing ~$100 million (or more) vs the original.

And Disney releases have also been among the most frontloaded in Japan because of Disney+, so I don't know how legs will really be here. Like every Disney release has been very frontloaded, not just the MCU films. I don't even think it has to go to streaming early to have an effect there. Audiences just seem fine waiting until films eventually go on there regardless of when, really.

Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:41 am
Profile WWW
Angels & Demons

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Avatar 2 Bombs?
Man months before its release, I thought Theaters would treat Avatar 2 differently than other Disney release due to director James Cameron wanting a longer theatrical window and its box office would also be different than other Disney ones, but I was wrong. It turns out that a month before its theater count was N/A just like other Disney releases and its box office is not that good as the result suggests despite being number one in gross, but in admissions it is number two. So basically depending on legs it will be either an okay market for Avatar 2 or among the worst markets for it.

Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:03 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

I don't think it's theaters, really. (Regarding the OW.) I mean, advance sales weren't available until this week because it's a Disney film, but it ended up getting the optimal number of theaters and even a record amount of screens due to all the premium formats. It's easy for audiences to check it out.

It just had a ton of negatives going against it. I can't say who would be going to this. If it's fans of the original... they seem pretty few if we go off home video sales/TV broadcast numbers. The admissions the first film did isn't representative of how people liked the first because of how it was treated as a novelty release (the first must-see 3D film). Many checked it out just for that reason. When Alice took its 3D screens, it died (dropped 82%) and ended its run soon after. That reason isn't there this time.

Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:18 am
Profile WWW
Wall-E

It's not theaters. Mostly it just seems like the film has no appeal outside premium screens here - which Japan has very little of, definitely not enough to live off of if the film is absolutely dead outside of them. Looking at IMAX screens sales are good across the board and it's even seeing sellouts ahead of the weekend - then you look at regular shows and it's insanely dry. And I don't mean dry as in relatively weak, I mean it as in those are selling like shit.

There could be a ridicolously weird situation in that I could see the big theaters actually letting it keep a decent chunk of the premiums because it's actually not selling poorly on those, while massively cutting its regular shows instead (which are just about worthless anyway).

I have no idea how to even put out a prediction here - because of what I've seen I have to imagine rural locations are doing much worse than what mimorin tracked, so I expect a much higher usuals%, but ATP will likely be ridicolous instead. I saw the re-release had something silly like a 1900-2000 ATP, and with how much of a share of these sales is likely IMAX 3D, I don't think this will really be off that by much if at all.

Feels like I'm coming out to like...170-180M OD or something like that overall, but this is such a tentative number it could be a huge miss. Looking at PS I'd expect both saturday and sunday to perform better than friday, so this could maybe land on 600-800M for the 3days, I guess, or something like that, which would be...not super awful if it hits the high range, I guess?

Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:19 pm
The Incredible Hulk

I think there might be elements in the film that rubs some Japanese people in the wrong way. The first film's message is save the nature and of course it's the universal message that every country can agree with it. The second film's message, however, is save the ocean......

Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:27 pm
Angels & Demons

I actually found a website that post several countries OW chart and among them are Japan right here: https://www.kobis.or.kr/kobis/business/ ... iceList.do
I known corpse said few post ago about his busy schedule but this weekend results are actually up at that website and will post a screenshot of weekend results below:

Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23795 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 882, 883, 884, 885, 886, 887, 888 ... 952  Next