Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 903, 904, 905, 906, 907, 908, 909 ... 952  Next
 Japan Box-Office: On Hiatus 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: WKND Actuals (03/03-05); Charts Update
Yeah, audience scores are lacking a bit, but we'll see if it's just due to the sort of "diehard" moviegoers who would have been more likely to see it in its first two weeks. Post-Oscars, as more people see it now, perhaps the scores will go up. We'll see.

And yeah, it only got roughly half a day (less really) of the Oscar bump yesterday, and ended up with a respectable ~15% hold vs last Monday. Tuesday onward should see some substantial increases versus last week and bump it to #1 until the weekend.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:10 pm
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

In normal movie where the last leg die quietly Slam Dunk wouldn't surpass JJK0. But anime movie's last leg end with a bang, with special screening and complimentary gifts for every ticket and fan-baiting stuffs. I'm pretty sure it'll at least surpass Top Gun Maverick, so that it'd be in a top 3 highest grossing film of 2022, behind OP Red and Suzume.

Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:17 pm
Wall-E

I really like the marriage numbers at few locations I've checked. Big grain of salt on this one but I think 3days could come over shin kamen rider. Shinjuku is a bit iffy but locations like Umeda look super great to me.

Looking at rurals I am even more convinced. Marriage has 117 tickets sold for friday at miyoshi and kamen rider doesn't even get close to that with friday (which seems to be some limited release/previews sort of thing?)+saturday combined. Kyoto is more of the same, marriage fri 220 tickets sold, kamen rider fri+sat 99 tickets sold. This is all despite the fact that marriage ps window is shorter, sat PS isn't even open yet.

Of the two, I would expect Marriage to have better walkups being a romance film than kamen rider. It's really not much more than an eyeball but I definitely think the upset can happen.

Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:16 am
Angels & Demons

Apparently Shin Kamen Rider is rated PG-12 due to bloodshed.

https://twitter.com/EIRIN_JP/status/1635485894181519360

Quote:
"Shin Kamen Rider"
It is designated as [PG12] because of the depiction of bloodshed.

Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:07 pm
Full Fledged Member

Interesting article about the situation of Foreign (mostly Hollywood) and live action movies.

Quote:
According to statistics from the Motion Picture Producers Association of Japan, in 2022, Japanese films accounted for 68.8% of box office revenue, while foreign films accounted for 31.2%. It is reversed from 70% of foreign films and 30% of Japanese films in the 1990s.

Last year, too, the Hollywood movie "Top Gun Maverick" (released in May, grossing 13.57 billion yen) starring Tom Cruise (60) was the talk of the town, but if you ask me about other foreign movies, I think I would be at a loss to answer.

The article cited such reasons for the slump in foreign films as "a sharp decline in intermediate-level hits, which had underpinned the box office," and "the absence of Hollywood stars who can draw audiences with their names. Film critic Yuichi Maeda continues, "Another major reason is that people have lost their admiration for the U.S. in the first place.

"It is only until people in their late 40s that they imitated the culture and lifestyle of the U.S. as a "rich country. Hollywood blockbusters were one of the things they longed for, but for people in their 20s and 30s, the U.S. is just one of many countries.

The movie "THE LEGEND & BUTTERFLY" starring Takuya Kimura (50) made a big fuss about its "production cost of 2 billion yen," but it seems that the trend away from live-action Japanese movies is also serious.

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/39aef ... 47ee5f8120

Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:21 am
Extraordinary

Puss is now at $462,552,181 globally with maybe another $8M domestic for about $470M. Any early feelings on how it will do in Japan? Last movie made $13,758,233 there I saw on Mojo. Could this meet or top that?

Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:50 pm
Profile WWW
Wall-E

O wrote:
Puss is now at $462,552,181 globally with maybe another $8M domestic for about $470M. Any early feelings on how it will do in Japan? Last movie made $13,758,233 there I saw on Mojo. Could this meet or top that?

had a very quick look earlier today and presales looked really bad to me. i do not expect much considering it's opening the same week as two much bigger local films and pretty much shoved in between doraemon and conan for families.

If I had to guess I would say lower than that number but who knows, japan is all about legs though the market has never liked dreamworks films.

Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:04 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

A lower total in USD is basically certain due to the exchange rate still at 20/25 year lows. I'd have to gross over 60% more in Yen to match the USD total of the original.

The original's ¥1.17 billion total would be a good goal, but that's only about $8.5 million today.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:33 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Thanks! Puss just aint getting to $500M then!

Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:04 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Friday openers:

My Happy Marriage did very, very well on Friday, coming close to selling 1/3 of all its tickets. You weren't kidding about its potential, JustLurking. Good chance it takes #1 this weekend.

Shin Kamen Rider is a fairly distant second, but it's opening officially (or nationwide) tomorrow and hard to read the Friday. It did pretty well when you consider it's not playing everywhere until tomorrow though, I think, so I suppose we need to see if it can make up the Friday gap with My Happy Marriage to take #1 over the weekend. If it can double up on Saturday, and MHM decreases (potential frontloading, rush effect), it could be a close race.

Shazam 2 is a bomb and is going to struggle to debut in the Top 5 (4th-6th).

Puss in Boots 2 is also bombing. Many elementary schools and daycares are closed for Spring Break now (Doraemon being up 138% tells us this), and despite that, its Friday was abysmal. It'll do better on Sat/Sun, but not so much to post anything respectful. 7th/8th place debut looking likely.

Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:00 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Poor Puss but it's domestic recovery makes up for it.

It's genuinely a great movie so hoping people eventually discover it in Japan too!

Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:09 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

DreamWorks has never done well in Japan, most films bombing or disappointing and they've never had a film get anywhere near blockbuster status, so it's at least not unusual.

And in general, animated films with animal characters don't do well (or not as well), which DreamWorks has heavily featured in their films too. The Boss Baby (human characters) is their biggest film in Japan with ¥3.44 billion ($31.9 million) (although the sequel dropped 71%...).

Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:55 pm
Profile WWW
Wall-E

More frontloaded than I was hoping, but should still be enough to win the weekend given its friday lead and that it kept up pretty well with kamen rider on saturday. Also it has been pointed out to me that a member of super popular band SNOWMAN is playing lead in the film, probably also part of why it opened so strong.

Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:08 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

After Saturday, advantage My Happy Marriage opening at #1 ahead of Shin Kamen Rider, but we need to see what happens on Sunday to be sure. The latter will also have a higher avg. ticket price, so if it's a bit behind in admissions, it could take #1 in revenue. Still, MHM will probably win the weekend.

Shazam 2 is going to miss the Top 5, looking at a 6th place start.

Puss in Boots 2... a little hard to predict what place it'll debut in since the bottom of the top 10 is competitive, but 8th looks to be the highest it can go.

As for the holdovers...

Doraemon 42 is doing great in 3rd place and will see a very small decline, probably single digits, or may possibly enjoy a weekend increase (Friday being way up). It'll have very impressive weekdays coming up too thanks to Spring Break, potentially ~2x or so greater than this weekend's gross.

EEAAO has been doing very well all week thanks to its near Oscar sweep and is going to enjoy a nice weekend increase to place 4th or 5th in its third weekend. Japan was likely to be its #1 international market, but it's 100% guaranteed now.

And most other films, such as Slam Dunk STILL in the Top 5 (4th or 5th) in its 16th weekend, are holding well going into Spring Break. Note: Films that skew towards adults don't really see a bump from the break, but anything with family or student appeal will benefit.

Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:48 am
Profile WWW
Angels & Demons

So I guess finally in a few days from now Suzume will officially surpass WWY due to Spring Break starting soon.

Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:41 pm
Extraordinary

$14m opening day in China for SUZUME...

Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:35 pm
Profile WWW
Hatchling

Can do 45-50M OW in China, impressive...

What are the biggest worldwide weekends for Japanese films? I would guess Demon Slayer opening weekend of 44M is the biggest but perhaps there's something I don't know. If DS is in fact the biggest then it may fall this weekend with Suzume....

Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:22 pm
The Dark Knight

$46M - Your Name (Dec 2016) *China* + *Holdovers*
$44M - Demon Slayer: Mugen Train (Oct 2020) *Japan*
$41M - Detective Conan: Scarlet Bullet (April 2021) x22 countries
$39M - Stand By Me Doraemon (May 2015) *China*
$31M - Pokemon 1999 (Nov 1999) *USA*
$29M - Spirited Away (June 2018) *China*
$28M - Weathering With You (Nov 2019) *China* + *Holdovers*
$27M - Demon Slayer World Tour (March 2023) *Overseas OW*

Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:57 pm
The Dark Knight

mark66 wrote:
$14m opening day in China for SUZUME...

Biggest Grossing Day is still in the hands of Your Name (¥120.40M/SAT). What's worrying is Walk-ups. Extremely poor for Suzume 1.59x vs 2.31x of Your Name. Other is Douban 7.7 (vs 8.5 of Your Name)

Still I am hoping for the best! Best Year in China with Highest rated Detective Conan Film releasing on 4/4 &Castle In The Sky on June 2023! Highest Rated talking about Douban Score of 8.8 &9.2 respectively.

Noteworthy is Suzume's isn't holding the record for Long as SLAM DUNK (currently 9.2 in Douban) will do double and potentially can beat Dangal (¥1299M) to become the All-Time Highest Grossing Non-English Imported Title in Mainland China. :lol:

Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:04 pm
Hatchling

Oh is WOM not great then? Such a shame and with low walk-ins then it may go as low as 40M, still pretty good tho!!

And wow didn't know that Slam Dunk was that popular there. I will be looking forward to it's performance in China

Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:20 pm
The Dark Knight

Hyauku wrote:
Oh is WOM not great then? Such a shame and with low walk-ins then it may go as low as 40M, still pretty good tho!!

Pre-Sale/OD

¥60M/¥95.37M - 1.59x ~ Suzume
¥33M/¥76.32M - 2.31x ~ Your Name

Scores are good on other sites like 9.5 Taopiaopiao / 9.8 Billibilli / 9.6 Maoyan (most likely) but Chinese WOM is actually measured by Douban which is lower than Your Name (8.5) &higher than Weathering With You (7.0)

Actually, Promotion was too high that Pre-sales paced up but on it's final 3-days it fell behind Hollywood Blockbuster. (It actually matched F9 Pre-sales 4-days before it's release on same frame)

Hyauku wrote:
And wow didn't know that Slam Dunk was that popular there. I will be looking forward to it's performance in China

SLAM DUNK is a cult culture in China. Douban Score of 9.2 and Maoyan Anticipation Count - 561K (will defeat 830K of Suzume). With extreme popularity it may break $100M on Opening Weekend but keeping everything on bottom unless and until Pre-sales starts

Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:39 pm
Wall-E

There's no way slam dunk does 100M on OW imho. I can see it full run though.

Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:47 pm
The Dark Knight

That's my feelings. That's why I told that I am keeping everything on bottom unless Pre-sales start but SLAM DUNK really gonna do numbers one can't expect from a Japanese Release :thumbsup:

Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:06 pm
Hatchling

Maybe not the most exciting film for the box office, since it's a tv anime sequel with a very small screen count, but how has Gridman Universe been doing? Does it have any chance to crack the top 10?

Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:27 am
Hatchling

Mimorin has Gridman at top 5 today , I think it should open around ~¥80M, I don't know what ATP is usual for this type of movies tho.

Perhaps it can go all the way to ¥100M, I hope it does well since I loved the series

Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 903, 904, 905, 906, 907, 908, 909 ... 952  Next