Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 6:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 The Blind Side Box-Office Thread - $255,959,475 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: The Blind Side Box-Office Thread
$247,071,052 in its 14th week and still continuing more than 1M weekends that is amazing for a 29M production budget, it has passed all the marks of success

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:48 am
You must have big rats

MadGez wrote:
Amazing amazing run. What a surprise run. Its one of the rare times I had no idea what the film was about until its OW. So for it to do so well sure was a shock.

BTW - it opened here last weekend and performed dismally - the equal of a sub $5m OW in NA!

No surprise. I'm pretty sure it'll flop here in Germany as well despite Bullock and the Oscar noms. No one cares for American sports movies here. I don't think films like The Rookie or Glory Road were even released in theatres here and big US performers like Remember the Titans flopped in theatres.

It mnight actually miss $300 million worldwide, despite making over $250 million domestically. Not that the studio has any reason to complain...

Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:08 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

MadGez wrote:
Amazing amazing run. What a surprise run. Its one of the rare times I had no idea what the film was about until its OW. So for it to do so well sure was a shock.

BTW - it opened here last weekend and performed dismally - the equal of a sub $5m OW in NA!

No, THE BLIND SIDE was released on Thursday, February 25 in Australia.

There were limited previews last weekend.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:39 am
Extraordinary

I still can't believe the randomness of The Blind Side. A film opened on the same day, New Moon, pulling in female demographics and had the biggest opening day of all time getting $73 m and $143 m opening weekend with the third biggest ow ever! And yet a small film that opened against it managed $34 m that same weekend, and now is almost past $250 m.

The fact that two female skewing films (New Moon: 80% female and 50% under 21, Blind Side 59% and 75% older than 25) could open on the same weekend and still both do $250 m + is outstanding.

I have to wonder what Sandra Bullock's follow up film will be. It will be very hard to follow up $160 m + and $250 m + films in one year, alongside an Oscar nod and potential Oscar win...

Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:29 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

conch22 wrote:
MadGez wrote:

No, THE BLIND SIDE was released on Thursday, February 25 in Australia.

There were limited previews last weekend.

:oops:

Thats my bad. It went wide and was No.1 this weekend withe $2.5m (like $25m in North America).

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:23 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

BTW - here's an interesting tidbit from a Sandra interview on Australian radio. When asked about how she felt that Twilight opened the same weekend New Moon, she said how she thought the powers that be were insane in selecting that weekend for the release and just new this would be the most embarrassing moment of her career......after Speed 2. :funny: She's a great interview and obviously the film blew past her expectations.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:40 am
You must have big rats

Hmm, releasing Twilight on the same weekend as New Moon indeed would have been insane :P

Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:57 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

:funny:

I need help.

I meant the Blind Side obviously.

Though of all franchises - Twilight would be most suited to a film and its sequel opening the same weekend seeing that almost everyone watches them in the first two days :P

Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:27 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Twilight is like Potter in that it doesn't matter what opens against them, perhaps moreso for Twilight. They'll provide no competition to any other openers. Potter has never hurt any film at the box office that opened near or against it. Transformers/HP5 being the biggest example opening just a week apart, yet neither were affected by the other, and the same will be said about Twilight now that New Moon did nothing to The Blind Side's box office.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:42 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

ToyCorpse wrote:
Twilight is like Potter in that it doesn't matter what opens against them, perhaps moreso for Twilight. They'll provide no competition to any other openers. Potter has never hurt any film at the box office that opened near or against it. Transformers/HP5 being the biggest example opening just a week apart, yet neither were affected by the other, and the same will be said about Twilight now that New Moon did nothing to The Blind Side's box office.

Look at its third weekend:

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=w ... ersinc.htm

Looks at its third weekend:

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=w ... little.htm

Looks at its second weekend:

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=w ... athura.htm

Those are obvious effects.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:52 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Eh, Harry Potter 1 can probably be ignored given all the hype that surrounded it. More than just the fans showed up for that one.

Harry Potter 4 effecting Chicken Little and Zahura box office are good examples though, but I can't find any others besides that weekend.

Shrek 2 dropped 47% when Harry Potter 3 opened, but that was also after Shrek 2's huge Memorial Day Weekend. So if there was any effect on Shrek 2's box office, it was very small since Shrek 2 dropped around 40% the next few weekends.

Ratatouille dropped 38% when HP5 opened, and while the drop would have been higher if HP5 opened on Friday, I don't think it would have been greater than low 40's since all of Ratatouille's drops for it's first 6 weeks were over 35% except one (31%).

Ice Age 3 and Up saw drops below 40% when Harry Potter 6 opened, and Night at the Museum 2 dropped below 50% (even though it lost almost 50% of it's theaters). So it didn't hurt anything.

There are a few examples over the past 10 years, but overall Potter's effect on films is very, very small. Twilight's should be even smaller since it's fanbase, while huge, is more limited.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:10 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Maybe the effects are just bigger for November released Potter flicks?

Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:21 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Fittingly enough, it looks like $250 million will fall this weekend. A Best Actress win should allow it to add another $9-10 million, I assume.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:35 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I really don't know how Sandra Bullock can top this past year. A $260 m film, a $160 m film, and currently the front runner for a best actress win, all eyes will be on her on Sunday.

She might do something rash like with what happened with Speed 2, but hopefully her follow up film keeps the momentum going...

She should probably do a rom com that opens over Christmas or something. Those seem to work well for her...

Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:19 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Fittingly enough, it looks like $250 million will fall this weekend. A Best Actress win should allow it to add another $9-10 million, I assume.

If Sandra wins, I seriously doubt the film will gross an additional $9-10 million. It is being released on DVD a mere two weeks later. Plus, its theater count is going to continue dropping.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:47 pm
The Wall

O wrote:
I really don't know how Sandra Bullock can top this past year. A $260 m film, a $160 m film, and currently the front runner for a best actress win, all eyes will be on her on Sunday.

She might do something rash like with what happened with Speed 2, but hopefully her follow up film keeps the momentum going...

She already had a stinker with All About Steve. Luckily everyone overlooks it when it comes to a year in review.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:14 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

be.redy wrote:
O wrote:

She already had a stinker with All About Steve. Luckily everyone overlooks it when it comes to a year in review.

You mean quality-wise of box-office-wise. Because considering All About Steve, despite its unbelievably horrible reviews, still did what it did ($34 million) it's rather impressive.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:59 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

conch22 wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

If Sandra wins, I seriously doubt the film will gross an additional $9-10 million. It is being released on DVD a mere two weeks later. Plus, its theater count is going to continue dropping.

Well, what I said was assuming that it'll be reexpanded to over 1,000 theatres after the win. Milk made around 11.7% of its gross after Sean Penn's win, Monster made 22.2% of its total after the win, Monster's Ball 37.1%, There WIll Be Blood made 12.7%. That all suggests a $275+ million finish. Of course that won't happen because of the release date of the DVD, but I think $260 million is possible.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:03 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

Dr. Lecter wrote:
be.redy wrote:
O wrote:

You mean quality-wise of box-office-wise. Because considering All About Steve, despite its unbelievably horrible reviews, still did what it did ($34 million) it's rather impressive.

It had Sandra coming off The Proposal and Cooper coming off The Hangover. Both of them were hot, hot, hot. And the gross of a $34 million isn't too hot at all. I'm thinking it should've at least done $50 million.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:59 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

No, it shouldn't. It looked absolutely and completely terrible. Afterall, audiences would not flock just for anything because of the star. And I'd argue that despite The Hangover, Cooper's still far from being a draw. He wasn't even the funniest thing about the movie.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:13 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

No, but his star profile definitely got the most exposure.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:17 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

But not a lot.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:22 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

But enough.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:26 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Not to make anyone really interested in a movie just because of his presence.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

All About Steve was also dumped in September. Despite atrocious reviews it still almost had a chance at winning the weekend. It also still managed a 3.0 + multiplier even with an inflated Sunday due to the holiday.

Sweet Home Alabama on the otherhand was hyped up and opened later in the month with a strong, strong marketing campaign. Steve was dumped...

Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:41 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next