Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Which Future Blockbuster Will Top The DARK KNIGHT In B.O?? 

Which Future Summer Blockbuster Stands the Best Chance At Dethroning The DARK KNIGHT??
A: The AVENGERS 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
B: SPIDERMAN IV 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C: IRONMAN 2 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D: CAPTAIN AMERICA 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
E: None of the Above 93%  93%  [ 53 ]
Total votes : 57

Which Future Blockbuster Will Top The DARK KNIGHT In B.O?? 
Veteran

Post Re: Which Future Blockbuster Will Top The DARK KNIGHT In B.O??
billybobwashere wrote:
Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
I really could see Iron Man 2 pulling a Dead Man's Chest, does no one else agree?
i don't. no first sequel in a superhero franchise has increased over the original except for X2 (which didn't really increase that much). I expect Iron Man 2 to increase over the first, but not by like 50%.

So what if its a super hero movie? WOM is as good as it gets for Iron Man. It will end up getting a huge opening in the first week of May and then get a couple of weeks to itself before Memorial Day Weekend.

Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:26 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

It had the same love as Pirates did though.

No, it didn't. Pirates went from a $70 million 5-day to making $300+ million...in 2003 dollars. Iron Man opened to over $100 million in 3.5 days and ended up with over $300 million in 2008 dollars. POTC1 had incredible legs. It opened the same as Batman Begins, actually a bit lower, and ended up $100 million higher.

Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:31 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

billybobwashere wrote:
I really could see Iron Man 2 pulling a Dead Man's Chest, does no one else agree?
i don't. no first sequel in a superhero franchise has increased over the original except for X2

Cough...TDK? :funny:

Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:33 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Magnus wrote:
Iron Man is more like Transformers than any other film. Whatever Transformers 2 does, expect Iron Man to do around 5% more or less than that.

I agree. Both opened big, had pretty good legs for big openers but it's hard to tell what's going to happen with the sequels. I figure they will go up, but I don't know if they'll explode like Pirates 2. The openings will be gigantic for sure.

Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:36 pm
Profile WWW
why so serious?

Iron Man 2 will see a solid increase over its predecessor, but a DMC-like increase is too much to expect unless word of mouth is as great the second time around as the first and the competition is weak.

As for the question of this thread: None of the above. Duh. It took eleven years to get another movie to cross $500 million, and with adjustments figured in, it's set to be the biggest movie released in nine years. That kind of thing doesn't come down easily.

Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:37 pm
Veteran

IM2 won't have to have as big of an increase to match or pass DMC OW. It would represent just a 32% increase. And given the WOM for the movie something closer to SM3 might even be possible.

Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:37 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

The best movie from that list was Ironman 2 and that film's max is probably around 400.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:31 am
Forum General

lol 22 none of the aboves
this is a stupid thread. you're given the poorest of choices which are all superheroes.
why is there no variety?
this should be locked as there really is no point.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:08 am
Profile WWW
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

Titanic 2, obviously.

Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:57 am
Killing With Kindness

Avatar has the best chance after The Dark Knight sinks Titanic out.

Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:06 am
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Webslinger wrote:
Iron Man 2 will see a solid increase over its predecessor, but a DMC-like increase is too much to expect unless word of mouth is as great the second time around as the first and the competition is weak.

As for the question of this thread: None of the above. Duh. It took eleven years to get another movie to cross $500 million, and with adjustments figured in, it's set to be the biggest movie released in nine years. That kind of thing doesn't come down easily.

It took 11 years and a dead actor who overdosed to get TDK to make the numbers that it has and please, spare me the boo hooing for even mentioning this again cause it's true.. If RDJ bites the dust, it will be another massive memorial tribuite like it was for Ledger in this movie..

Moving on, how about if they use a 9/11 approach with Captain America much like they did with the 1st Spiderman movie??? America needed a hero at that time and it worked.. Also, I can't believe that 97% of the vote went to "None of the Above" which indicates to me that you've all let TDK go to your heads as though no other movie can be made from this point on both in quality, FX and storyline that moviegoers would eat up, even casual moviegoers?? :roll: I should post this thread on another site to see what they'd say..

Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:31 am
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

The Dark Knight wrote:
Shouldn't the title be "What Future Marvel Film..."

I mean, you didn't even include TDK Returns or The Hobbit films or Avatar or even the final HP film. It's kind of a fucked up poll.

My reasoning for this is because let's face it: WB sucks at making DC Comicbook adaptations outside of the Batman franchise.. What?? JLA?? How about another Superman movie?? SR basically all but flopped and took 6 months to barely break 200 Million domestically?? Green Lantern?? Wonder Woman?? No one cares about these characters and at 1 point, Jack Black was to play Green Lantern and female superhero movies just don't cut it with the movie going audience.. Like Marvel movies or not, they do make good $$$ and the characters are more flashy and their personalities are easier to swallow and more realistic.. The list of films I have listed are also fresh and haven't been done outside of SM4 and I do firmly believe that with another director, a new cast and storyline that progresses the character forward that would appeal to a wider audience could pull it off with SM4.. The AVENGERS?? Never been done yet combining characters that the moviegoers will love.. Also in regards to a sequel to TDK?? Nolan is going to have a hell of a battle trying to top TDK much like Raimi did with SM3 trying to outdo a near perfect movie like SM2 was..

Harry Potter 6?? How much did the last movie make domestically?? Avatar?? What the hell is that?? The HOBBIT?? I have a hard time believing that anyone other than Peter Jackson making these won't be near as good and splitting a simplistic story like The HOBBIT into 2 movies really is unnecessary since it isn't near as complex as the LOTR Trilogy which sort of required it being broken into 3 movies..

Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:49 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

Can someone ban BKB and make that clown honor his promise of not being here until September? His shit is getting really old.

Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:08 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

MR. GREEN wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
Shouldn't the title be "What Future Marvel Film..."

I mean, you didn't even include TDK Returns or The Hobbit films or Avatar or even the final HP film. It's kind of a fucked up poll.

My reasoning for this is because let's face it: WB sucks at making DC Comicbook adaptations outside of the Batman franchise.. What?? JLA?? How about another Superman movie?? SR basically all but flopped and took 6 months to barely break 200 Million domestically?? Green Lantern?? Wonder Woman?? No one cares about these characters and at 1 point, Jack Black was to play Green Lantern and female superhero movies just don't cut it with the movie going audience.. Like Marvel movies or not, they do make good $$$ and the characters are more flashy and their personalities are easier to swallow and more realistic.. The list of films I have listed are also fresh and haven't been done outside of SM4 and I do firmly believe that with another director, a new cast and storyline that progresses the character forward that would appeal to a wider audience could pull it off with SM4.. The AVENGERS?? Never been done yet combining characters that the moviegoers will love.. Also in regards to a sequel to TDK?? Nolan is going to have a hell of a battle trying to top TDK much like Raimi did with SM3 trying to outdo a near perfect movie like SM2 was..

Harry Potter 6?? How much did the last movie make domestically?? Avatar?? What the hell is that?? The HOBBIT?? I have a hard time believing that anyone other than Peter Jackson making these won't be near as good and splitting a simplistic story like The HOBBIT into 2 movies really is unnecessary since it isn't near as complex as the LOTR Trilogy which sort of required it being broken into 3 movies..

Potter 6 isn't the final film you know. He is referring to the second part of Deathly Hallows due out in summer of 2011. That, Transformers 2, The Hobbit, and the third batman movie will all make more money than just about all of the movies you mentioned (except maybe Iron Man 2 which could come close to 400).

Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:07 am
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

I still dont understand the reasonings about HP reaching 400 million or even putting it against TDK just because its the last film. Its not like ROTS and ROTK got that much higher than their predeccesors and their films outgross any of the Potter films. We wont have a film that would outgross TDK for awhile but at least Transformers 2, The Hobbits and the Avengers have potential to make 400 million and more

Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:46 am
Stanley Cup

useless thread like usual from bkb

Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:52 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Royd wrote:
I still dont understand the reasonings about HP reaching 400 million or even putting it against TDK just because its the last film. Its not like ROTS and ROTK got that much higher than their predeccesors and their films outgross any of the Potter films. We wont have a film that would outgross TDK for awhile but at least Transformers 2, The Hobbits and the Avengers have potential to make 400 million and more

I keep telling them!

Normal people can't stand Harry Potter.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:06 pm
Too Brilliant for Introductions

BJ wrote:
Avatar has the best chance after The Dark Knight sinks Titanic out.

Hell yeah! :D

Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:57 pm
Profile WWW
He didn't look busy?!

Royd wrote:
I still dont understand the reasonings about HP reaching 400 million or even putting it against TDK just because its the last film. Its not like ROTS and ROTK got that much higher than their predeccesors and their films outgross any of the Potter films.
the only difference is: by the time Deathly Hallows Part II comes out, Sorcerer's Stone will adjust to over $400m, and all of the films will adjust to well over $300m, meaning that the jump to reach $400m isn't quite as high as it might look.

Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:16 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Let's not forget that, adjusted for inflation, The Dark Knight hasn't even passed Burton's Batman yet.

I mean, come on, give it another 30 years and "Friday the 13th part 47" will outsell The Dark Knight.

Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:18 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

billybobwashere wrote:
Royd wrote:
I still dont understand the reasonings about HP reaching 400 million or even putting it against TDK just because its the last film. Its not like ROTS and ROTK got that much higher than their predeccesors and their films outgross any of the Potter films.
the only difference is: by the time Deathly Hallows Part II comes out, Sorcerer's Stone will adjust to over $400m, and all of the films will adjust to well over $300m, meaning that the jump to reach $400m isn't quite as high as it might look.

Your using the first film adjustments to justify that the possibility of the sequels making the same amount. That seems flawed because none of the Indiana Jones or the last Star Wars ever came close to the first film's number if we are going to use adjusted grosses for that

Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:02 pm
Extraordinary

Royd wrote:

Well I was referring to it out grossing most of the films on that list. I am not sold on the Avengers it could do 400 or just 300 range.

Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:02 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Magnus wrote:
Groucho wrote:
Let's not forget that, adjusted for inflation, The Dark Knight hasn't even passed Burton's Batman yet.

I mean, come on, give it another 30 years and "Friday the 13th part 47" will outsell The Dark Knight.

I know the latter part was a joke, but it wasn't really a good one. 25 years ago, Jaws was still the 3rd biggest film of all time with about 260m. Now, films today do pass 260m, but you only get like 4-5 a year. Even with inflation, it would still take a blockbuster-like film 30 years from now to trump TDK. It wouldn't have to be like a mega-blockbuster film, but it still would need to be some sort of event film to break 500m 30 year years from now. It would happen more than once a year, but only a handful of films would do it.

And of course it hasn't passed Batman89 yet adjusted. It's only been 18 days!!!! It'll pass it sometime next week though, so no biggie.

Oh absolutely, it takes big films just to make the Top 50 of all time films adjusted by inflation -- and yes, Dark Knight will eventually beat Batman even adjusted.

My point was that you have to look at the costs of a ticket when comparing films. My car is worth about 30 times what it would have cost in 1960 but that doesn't mean anything really unless you compare what the 1960 car would cost in today's dollars.

Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:28 pm
Profile WWW